Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

I think it’s a problem because some people didn’t like 3D printed parts and scoured through Greg’s old answers to validate their viewpoint. If their favorite contestant won, then I doubt they would care. Something similar would’ve happened if someone was hell-bent on Helryx wearing dark blue armor.

Oh well, what’s done is done.

But, again, why would it ever have been assumed otherwise?

1 Like

Not it at all. It simply doesn’t make sense with what we’ve had established in the book, as I’ve explained…

1 Like

If we’re going to ask Greg to just go back on anything he’s ever said just because some people don’t like it, let’s go all the way. Make it so the Toa Hagah aren’t Metru builds, so people can build the Hagah however.

It’s only fair, right? If you get to retcon canon because you want to use a certain mask, I should get to retcon it to use whatever torso I like.

7 Likes

Not to go down the rabbithole of statistical likelihood, but we have two givens: one of the Hagah we have has a mask that matches its true power and the other has one that doesn’t. Based on this and nothing else (not even inferences or speculation) it is more likely that there are others that are exceptions to this rule than that we have the single Toa that beat the infinitesimal odds.

Based on the Appendix, it is probable that the majority of Hagah, or at least more than half of the Hagah in existence, have mismatching masks. But that doesn’t anywhere imply that nearly every Hagah has mismatching masks, and based on our given sets, we can infer that it’s not uncommon.

You can’t infer how common something is from a sample-size of two.

And, I’d argue, you can’t infer how common something isn’t based on an offhand statement in an appendix.

I just think trying to build a lore case one way or another is an exercise in futility

I’m infering it from how many Kanohi we know of.

1 Like

EDIT: I stand corrected on most of this post but I’m leaving it cause my point stands :stuck_out_tongue:

Imma just throw out that while there’s statistical analysis that can be done on how likely it is that two Hagah would wear the same shaped mask despite having different powers, I would also urge you guys to remember that these are specially chosen toa teams whos’ armor, masks, everything were chosen, most likely by the Makuta who the Hagah teams were meant to protect.

I have no canonical statements to back this up, but I know that if I had a fancy team of bodyguards that I was giving armor and weapons and powers to, I’m only doing it one of two ways if I’m Teridax.

Either everyone has the same mask, or no one does. The fact that not everyone wears a standardized mask as a “Hagah” implies to me that Iruini is very much the exception rather than the rule.

That said… It’s ultimately not something I think we need to worry deeply about. There’s plenty of opportunities to throw your vote one way or the other, and we’re not interested in changing established canon with these contests.

Ultimately these are appearance contests. You want Greg to retcon info from 15 years ago, Y’all are gonna have to come up with how to do that yourselves because it is so far outside the scope of these.

9 Likes

Nope.

Their masks were given to them by their former teamates, not the Makuta.

2 Likes

The masks were given by their former teams, but were made by the Makutas’s enslaved matoran.

5 Likes

It’s assuming that the statement “forged in the shapes worn by the great heroes of the past” automatically means the Hagah, for example, wouldn’t have chosen heroes that happened to already wear the masks they already wore. I can see this being a draw for a lot of Toa. Alternatively, perhaps some Toa were already wearing a mask based on a prior hero simply because he/she had already been an inspiration long before becoming a Toa Hagah.

Or, if Jala hadn’t been waylaid by Karzahni and transformed into a Toa, he would wear a Hau shaped like a Hau, because he’d inherited a mask from an old hero.

The point is that you can’t extrapolate from that sentence a requirement one way or another. There are so many variables that need to be taken into account when interpreting this sentence.

The fact that there are exceptions means that there’s not a standard.

Beyond this semantics point, I entirely agree with this. I’m entirely happy leaving it up to the voters, and that’s been my case all along. It’s the restriction on Masks of Emulation that I and others have argued is based on a shaky argument. I’d say that, pending further info from Greg, we can’t say for certain that there’s no Mask of Emulation without making several inferences and theories that, while possible in the lore, are ultimately based on noncanon headcanon and speculation.

I’ve explained why this reasoning doesn’t make sense before:
If you’re choosing to honor these heroes because of what masks they wore, then you’re not honoring them for their heroics. Additionally, it does not seem particularily much like “honoring” them if you’re set on sticking with the same shape you already had, instead you are running away from “changing yourself” in their honor.

3 Likes

I was under the impressing the contest was for what they looked like pre becoming Rahagah. Either way it’s bever been said anywhere that they changed their masks so this argument seems totally unfounded

3 Likes

This is a lot of argument that boils down to the same core as the Metru build discussion.

The Toa Hagah are canonically Metru builds. They do canonically wear masks that are recarved to resemble other masks. Pouks’ mask does not canonically resemble the standard Mask of Emulation.

This is canon, it’s been canon for a while now, and building your Pouks in a way that doesn’t fit with the established canon, either intentionally or because you didn’t do the research, does not give you prerogative to demand canon be changed.

To me, the attitude should be the same as it is for anything when it comes to breaking canon. If you want to break canon for yourself, go ahead. If you want to break canon with a small in-group of friends who all agree on the same altered canon, more power to you. But you can’t break canon and then turn around and demand that everyone else conform to your version of canon, for the reason of “I feel like it.”

9 Likes

I’d say that, pending further info from Greg, we can’t say for certain that they all have the same torso piece without making several inferences and theories that, while possible in the lore, are ultimately based on noncanon headcanon and speculation.

1 Like

What are you talking about?

The Hagah have wrong-shaped masks:

The only thing that’s a “theory” is that Greg was uninformed when giving this answer.

Also, I figured I’d throw this out here, since I just found it:

The argument is more so that since they never changed their masks, if the Felnas or Shelek would have caused them to do so they likely didn’t have those shapes.

I agree with Arcan here. This isn’t really much different from Artakha being greyish green.

1 Like

Artahka being grey and dark green would’ve at least been a better colour scheme than sand green, and easier to build, even if it was wrong. Requiring one of a specific range of 3D printed parts most likely would take more effort on the part of the builder than just grabbing a silver mask out of the parts bin.

That’s fine, but this is just one example of a possibility that could have occurred. We’ve never seen this process, we don’t know what every single teammate on every single team had in mind.

Please, guys. I’ve explained in great detail on prior topics why the Greg quote that supports this is problematic. There is no issue with the Hagah torso quote, that is all well and good. I take issue when others extrapolate something out of the lore to insist that there is only one possible exception to a supposed “rule.”

I’m not even arguing against Greg quotes. I’m not enthusiastic about Nidhiki’s Volitak being green, for example, but there’s no logical case against that. I’d never argue that.

I’m not a moccist nor an artist. I don’t have a horse in this race. But there are clear-cut lore facts that must be taken into account for these contests and there are vague assumptions that have been accumulated over years. I’m not saying these assumptions are automatically wrong–they’re likely in fact. I’m saying that you can’t make a rule to this end.

1 Like