Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

The Toa Hagah all came from different lands, different teams. Statistically speaking, it should be impossible that they all have Metru builds, and even if they do, we don’t know what that means. people infer it to mean the torso piece.

Meanwhile, Greg was asked “do all the Hagah have masks in different shapes like Norik?” And replied Yes. It couldn’t be clearer, and statistically makes sense.

4 Likes

Right, so in lieu of Meso’s Beeg Post something around Post 294, I’m simply going to post the Hagah I have completed here, and see what the verdict is on eligibility. Before posting them, I’d like to make it clear that the renders were made before the thing about metallic feet was cleared up, so all else equal I’d post them as is with only that change. Not going to post Pouks, as based on the height restrictions already detailed, he’d be DQ’d for being a couple stud lengths too tall.

Bomonga

Gaaki

@Mesonak Give it to me straight doc.

7 Likes

I agree this.
We can infer the meaning of “metru-body”. Translation, we can only do it.
I can guess the Metru-build as the most popular design of “memories of Toa by Matorans”, but this is just my theory.
But there is a CANON Information of “All Hagah-Toa has Metru-build”.
I think this is very important. and my mind began to agree with “Their mask has defferent shape, exception Iruini.”

2 Likes

If you’re going to use the Lehvahk claw as Bomonga’s chest armor, maybe you should go all the way and make him completely asymmetrical.

1 Like

Torso piece makes statistical sense lul. 100% of Toa Hagah to date have it.

The biggest problem with the mask quote (as I outlined before) is that it’s a leading question. This was brought to Greg in 2009, when he was developing the 2010 materials. He’d already answered a question about Norik’s mask saying that he didn’t remember the Hagah storyline. Now, a year later, someone presented him with a question about the Hagah masks and only mentions Norik. Doesn’t mention Iruini. Ironically, this quote can be taken to mean that Iruini himself doesn’t wear a mask that matches its shape. Greg isn’t going to remember the ins and outs of the convoluted mask lore. He’s just going to take the Norik idea and make it universal. Fans can take this and interpret Greg’s answer any number of ways, but without him expressly saying that Iruini is the sole exception, it’s incomplete.

Anyway, this is my last post on the matter. Consider me beaten to death lol

1 Like

Unrelated to the legality, but I wouldn’t trust this connection:

Gaaki?

*Gaaki’s, but probably not. If I can post them as is only changing the foot color then that’s what I want to do. Besides, it conflicts with the aesthetic of the Hagah to have one side of one of them be asymmetrical.

It’s a 3L bar shoved through the connector to hold the two thin liftarms, the 1x2 round plate is just there for aesthetic.

1 Like

I don’t see the point of this mask debacle, Masks thats the shape of masks from past heroes shouldn’t be a hard concept to grasp. Seriously there is plenty of mask shapes to pick from, or is it so truly horrifying to use a non 3d printed mask in your mocs?

I know I’m being very blunt here and I mean no offense to anyone really but this conversation feels even more pointless than the metru build controversy. In the end that’s my thought I will not be entering any new mask shapes since we have plenty to go around already and I would suggest people to at least try and look at their masks and go “Hmm… maybe I can use this?” since Greg has clearly made up his mind about this and the contest rules likely won’t change

Again I’m sorry for my bluntness and my attitude, I do not mean to offened anyone just feel that this argument is pointless.

5 Likes

Well, it’s not even about that, it’s about not using any mask other than the MoE for Pouks. That’s what this amounts to.

Makes it even more pointless then

3 Likes

You and @TheJerminator are right, sorry. I operate with my brightness at 0% to conserve battery, so they both looked black, and I made a guess.

2 Likes
  • 2 clone sets have it.

None of this is relevant.

He said yes. Maybe he wouldn’t have if iruini was mentioned, but he did. Therefore, it’s canon unless he says it isn’t.

2 Likes

2 clones sets have it=100% of the Hagah to date.
Couple that alongside the fact that every Toa we’ve ever seen described as metru styled toa uses the metru torso.

4 Likes

Glad to hear this; it’s one of the few silver masks I own. xD

3 Likes

Not quite.
Ironically, most of this quote is predicated on incorrect information (for instance, there’s no doubt Kualus had the Mask of Rahi Control while fighting the Kanohi Dragon as that happened in 2008). Greg confirmed that the masks had the same power as their old ones earlier here. To be clear, I’m talking about this part of the quote:

If I’m not given the relevant facts, then you are not always going to get an accurate answer from me.

I’m personally on the side of tending towards Pouks entries with differently shaped masks, but I don’t think the Mask of Emulation should be banned. Is it unlikely that Pouks’s mask is the same shape as his power? Yes. Impossible? I’d say no; far stranger things have happened in BIONICLE.

3 Likes

The more I think about it, allowing Hydraxon’s helmet/face doesn’t make much sense… it does seem fairly clear cut that the sentence in the book was referring to specifically other Kanohi, as pointed out prior…

3 Likes

Yeah, agreed. The amount of Bonkle lore that’s made up of leading questions is probably greater that the amount that isn’t, at least where the “Post-toyline forum posts” canon is concerned. Those things have a reputation for being a place where BZP members could get Greg to make their fanfic ideas canon for a reason.

Also I really don’t get why it’s so hard to accept that these four specific characters are going to have significant restrictions on them, for the sake of making sure they’re consistent with the two we’ve already got. It’s not like these are going to be the rules for every Toa character going forward. We’ve got five more ahead, and those are just the ones I can remember. Sure, two are Mangai so they should probably be held to the same standard, but who knows if they will, and even if they are, there are still more contests.

If you want to make a titan, we’ve got Marendar. If you want to make a theoretically Toa-sized thing that’s slighter and more agile, we’ve got Lariska. If you want a more fancy Toa, we’ve got the Yesterday Squad. You don’t need to try and cram these square pegs into round holes when there’s a bunch of square holes just over the horizon.

Just let the people without £4000 worth of parts or a 3D-printer or whatever have this singular one, and y’all can go back to ruling the roost for the rest of the time.

It’s not like you’ll get a canon Mask of Emulation face out of it. Both the art portions of the previous two contests have completely disregarded the MOC’s mask, and even if a direct image of it, unaltered, went up BS01 would still consider it to be not the Mask of Emulation because it wouldn’t change the canon that Pouks’ mask doesn’t look like the standard design. It would just mean that of the multiple 3D-printed MoE faces, that specific one would be the only one that isn’t canon.

10 Likes

The shields would need to be held in their hands or stored on their backs, but aside from the feet, you’re good to go.

3 Likes

They connect to the hand via the thick throwbot foot, does that not count as being in the hand?

1 Like

You can say no all you want, but it is impossible. Canonically, pouks does not have the mask of emulation shape. That is the answer Greg has given, and unless he decides to go back on that, that’s the canon we have.

Would Greg have given a different answer if the person asking mentioned iruini? Maybe. Maybe not. But as it is, the canon we have is 100% clear.

6 Likes