Toa Hagah Canon Contest Survey and Final Q&A

If you have a YouTube channel, do you have the option to make a tutorial video on your canon contest entry in order to bypass the required breakdown photos or do you still have to provide the pictures?

2 Likes

Not Meso or Eljay but i’m going to say we’d still want the Pictures just to keep things on even footing.

1 Like

Is it allowed to use a piece that originally has two colors, but only one of them was painted? I want to use the piece x1192px2 and paint the black part of another color without painting the white rubber.
x1192px2

4 Likes

So when is the contests starting?

They start when they start. Please do not pester us about when they start. If we had an update for everyone, we would have shared it.

He has not yet answered our questions. We will let everyone know what the scoop is when he does.

12 Likes

Question:

In the case of the organic Kanohi from 2,006, the Stud.io parts packs (so far as I’ve seen) only have the Calix, with the rest of the Inika’s masks only being available in the form of inorganic fan-designs, which, while being incredibly well-designed, 1) use the axle-mouth connectors of typical kanohi and 2) would fall under the category of 3D-printed parts. This could prove troublesome for a builder using Stud.io and yet attempting to do something like the shoulder-armor design in this hyperlink.
As a solution to this, would it be possible to try and make the shoulder armor design from said hyperlink in Stud.io by using the Inorganic Sanok (which would not only be a fan-made 3D-printed piece, but would be impossible to achieve IRL due to not having the type of connection point required) if the builder of the digital MOC expressly stated that the Inorganic Sanok was merely a stand-in for the official rubber LEGO piece, and for the discrepancy to be corrected in the art portion of the contest?

1 Like

That’d be people specifically using a design in an entry which will most assuredly be entered into the contest - a design which, as far as I can tell, was originally created by Kodiak and any imitation of it could be considered creating a copycat.

I think that, since the design exists naturally and is already in use on a will-be entry, this solution is a bit moot, since anybody using the technique would be ripping off the Bomonga design and if they so desperately desire custom shoulders, they could make them with the limitless color palette options that stud.io provides.

Plus, they’d have to use a mask of a different size and proportions to the organic Sanok with an axle in a technique designed specifically to compensate for the lack of an axle. You’d be pushing an axle through a Nuva shoulder, at which point I would say just come up with a unique design. The hassle is incredible and doesn’t seem nearly worth it.

2 Likes

Makes sense.
Thanks for the info.:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Heyo! I’ve just got a few minor questions. I know armor on the rear of the torso isn’t allowed because we want to emulate the original Hagah’s armor placement. Would rear thigh armor be disallowed for a similar reason? I’m considering this design specifically for a bruiser type build.

Second, I’m considering a chain bandolier similar to the one used on JTO makuta. Would this be allowed as chest armor? What if I were to mount one of the chain links on the hip or rear of the torso. Would this be DQed as rear chest armor? Finally, what if I wanted to have a full bandolier, i.e. one that wraps fully around the torso. Again, would this be viewed as rear chest armor?

Sorry for these pretty innocuous questions, but I’d rather ask now than have my to edit my entry later for a triviality like doubled thigh armor. Thanks!

1 Like

wait, what?

oh. Well there goes that design.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure. I may be wrong, though I know for sure that shin armor is disallowed because the rules want to encourage metallic color blocking similar to the original sets. I’m fairly certain that thinking extends to back armor as well.

1 Like

It does, apparently.

the metallic armor is restricted to the feet, thighs, chest, shoulders, mask, shield, and spear tip.

You could reason that you can have non-metallic armor on the back, but that frankly doesn’t make much sense unless it’s the same color as the torso piece.

Man not sure iam going to enter this contest. Mainly cause I haven’t started building anything yet because I am not sure what I can and can’t build yet. And four mocs to build at once in around three weeks or so is a tall order for me.

1 Like

boi just make four metru builds, two of which have the same armor and the other two of which match with lhikan and iruni, give them spears and masks and you’ll be sitting pretty.

4 Likes

I suppose I could slap something together just to be involved.

Also just wanted to express my concerns and thoughts to anyone listening. Will people be able to vote for individual mocs or will it be just voting for all four of one person. I feel it should be individual because what if you like one toa and not the other three. I understand it could be complicated but just a thought.

Also does anyone know if custom shields are aloud?

3 Likes

This is still up in the air. One of the original points of this topic was to act as a poll/discussion for that question, and we’re still waiting for an update and/or decision from TTV, who, in turn, are still waiting for a reply from Greg about Kanohi-related questions before giving an update.

The most recent TTV answer I can find says yes, but that it will be changed to a Rhotuka shield in the final, to-be-canonized depiction.

3 Likes

Oh that’s good about the shield. Cause I don’t even own one Rohtuka shield let alone 4.

Must shields and masks be painted the same color of the Toa armor? For example, can I use a golden Rhotuka shield and a red kanohi in a gunmetal Toa? The colors will be corrected later in the drawing team part.

Not sure about the shields, but:

“Finally, valid concerns about the limited number of official metallic masks have prompted us to change the mandate for that rule. You will allowed to use non-metallic masks, with the understanding that your mask will be recolored in the group art contest to match the shade of metallic armor on your MoC.

Given that this was allowed because of a “limited number of metallic masks”, I’d assume it would also be allowed for the shields.

4 Likes

What distribution of metal colors would you like to see for the Toa Hagah?

Personally I would like indvidual metal colors for them but I made this poll to see the community’s opinion on the matter

Metal distribution for the Hagah
  • 1/1/1/1/1/1
  • 2/2/2
  • 3/3
  • 4/1/1
  • 5/1

0 voters