Toa Hagah Canon Contest Survey and Final Q&A

So, I came up with this custom build that uses the metru armor as shoulder pads. Depending on which rules are chosen, I may end up using it, but anyone else is free to as well.

Just a warning, it is potentially illegal depending on how you assemble it. The 32039 connector piece blocks the ball piece from safely attaching to the axle and vice versa. However, sliding the connector and the ball piece on at the same time should prevent any potential stress altogether.

(And before anyone brings it up, I know these shoulders aren’t metallic, this is just to showcase the build.)

16 Likes

I think that idea, I would be tempted to adapt it slightly with a slightly longer axle and one of these (or similar) on the end:

…and pop the ‘shoulder-pad’ piece on.

Hmm? You want a badly-drawn diagram? Well okay then!

1 Like

Since many people here (including me) are interested in preserving team cohesion among the Hagah, perhaps it would be better to decide their metallic colors in a poll(s) before the contest begins and get either a 2/2/2 or a 3/3 proportion. This would not be able to automatically make the 6 designs fit perfectly as a team, but at least will help to give them some balance and prevent people from being disappointed from possible scenarios like choosing good and creative designs for each one, but having 5 gold Hagah and only 1 silver toa.

Not everything can be solved with polls. We’ve already had so many polls that this forum might as well be the land of polls, and brother, Germany’s getting ready to invade.
We might as well set up the voting process, either for initial entries or for final art entries, to make it easier for people to select entire teams.

Not only that, but a poll to decide something like color schemes ahead of time only serves to pigeonhole what the entries can actually be. We could be cheating ourselves out of perfectly good alternatives to whatever we decide on; if we choose a 3:3 ratio, we lose out on potentially better 2:2:2 or 1:1:1:1:1:1 teams.

6 Likes

I don’t think the color distribution should be mandated. I don’t think there is any canon precedent on the matter. Even the Mahri had some Toa with silver and some without, with no actual parity or reason whatsoever.

In particular, I personally favor a proportion of 1 gold and 5 silver because it matches the color distribution of the Rahaga’s Rhotuka as seen in the comics. While some Rahaga have a colored rhotuka in set form, they all have a silver rhotuka in the comics, except Iruini. Before some people want to burn this post to death, I’m not saying this is canon proof that it should be 1 gold and 5 silver. It is simply the reason why I, personally, would like to see this particular proportion. I’ll personally be sad if the Hagah armor colors do not match the comic representation of their Rhotuka in Rahaga form, but I understand that some people might not like to have only one gold Toa Hagah.

That being said, before I noticed the Rhotuka colorings in the comics, I thought about the gold coloring. A lot of people don’t want to see a gold Kualus or a gold Gaaki because that might be confused with Light and Psionics. I disagree with them but I think gold Gaaki or Kualus start at a disadvantage in terms of votes because of this, so I would avoid it. I think gold does not work well with medium brown in terms of design, so I think that is not suitable for Pouks either. So basically only Bomonga would remain as a valid candidate to wear gold in this train of thought. However, Bomonga explicitely has a silver Rhotuka in set form, so I’d rather see him in silver, like Gaaki. Since I would rather avoid painting parts, I only consider gold and silver since the shield only exists in these two colors.

So, basically, I favor 1 gold 5 silver for all the above reasons. It might feel weird to have only one gold but the way I see it as explained above, it makes sense.

2 Likes

Big disagree from me. As much as some of us might want their metallic colors to have a pattern, canonically there’s absolutely no reason to believe they do or should. If you want to vote for entries that result in a 3/3 or 2/2/2 or 1/1/1/1/1/1 ratio, by all means do, but we shouldn’t be placing any rules or restrictions on this or any contest unless those restrictions have an actual basis in canon or something Greg has said. Forcing entries to be metru/hagah styled builds, forcing the hagah to use the primary color of their rahaga forms, and preventing pouks from wearing the canon mask of emulation design for example are all fine, because that’s following what’s been said canonically.

But nothing has been said about what colors their metallic armor are, other than that they’re made from precious metals and therefore probably metallic in appearance. So with canon being the top priority in this and all contests like it, there’s simply no justifiable reason to restrict which hagah can use which metallic colors, or what the ratio should be across the team.

tl;dr If you want the hagah to have certain armor colors, then vote for entries that fit that. We shouldn’t restrict all entries based on personal preferences that have no basis in canon or anything said by Greg.

10 Likes

Iruini has both gold and silver in the comics.

And I wouldn’t take the comics as evidence of any colors. These same comics have a green Kualus, every Visorak being red most of the time, a brown Suukorak, nokama and Matau swapping heads every five panels, etc.

*dark grey

He more commonly came with silver, the dark grey rhotuka is very difficult to come by.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=4878-1

1 Like

Dear TTV,
should the Toa Hagah MOCs have fingered Glatorian,CCBS or Hydraxon hands or should they have the fingerless hands used in the Norik and Iruini sets?

Thank you in anticipation

1 Like

I know the colors in the comics are not necessarily always correct. However, despite the fact that they sometimes made errors in coloring, no Rahaga other than Iruini was ever colored with a gold rhotuka. I am not using the comics as canon evidence for anything, don’t worry. It’s just that, looking at them, it makes me feel like having only Iruini in gold somewhat makes sense, despite being a bit weird in terms of parity.

1 Like

The Rhotuka colors really doesn’t seem like anything to pay much mind to.

10 Likes

If you have a YouTube channel, do you have the option to make a tutorial video on your canon contest entry in order to bypass the required breakdown photos or do you still have to provide the pictures?

2 Likes

Not Meso or Eljay but i’m going to say we’d still want the Pictures just to keep things on even footing.

1 Like

Is it allowed to use a piece that originally has two colors, but only one of them was painted? I want to use the piece x1192px2 and paint the black part of another color without painting the white rubber.
x1192px2

4 Likes

So when is the contests starting?

They start when they start. Please do not pester us about when they start. If we had an update for everyone, we would have shared it.

He has not yet answered our questions. We will let everyone know what the scoop is when he does.

12 Likes

Question:

In the case of the organic Kanohi from 2,006, the Stud.io parts packs (so far as I’ve seen) only have the Calix, with the rest of the Inika’s masks only being available in the form of inorganic fan-designs, which, while being incredibly well-designed, 1) use the axle-mouth connectors of typical kanohi and 2) would fall under the category of 3D-printed parts. This could prove troublesome for a builder using Stud.io and yet attempting to do something like the shoulder-armor design in this hyperlink.
As a solution to this, would it be possible to try and make the shoulder armor design from said hyperlink in Stud.io by using the Inorganic Sanok (which would not only be a fan-made 3D-printed piece, but would be impossible to achieve IRL due to not having the type of connection point required) if the builder of the digital MOC expressly stated that the Inorganic Sanok was merely a stand-in for the official rubber LEGO piece, and for the discrepancy to be corrected in the art portion of the contest?

1 Like

That’d be people specifically using a design in an entry which will most assuredly be entered into the contest - a design which, as far as I can tell, was originally created by Kodiak and any imitation of it could be considered creating a copycat.

I think that, since the design exists naturally and is already in use on a will-be entry, this solution is a bit moot, since anybody using the technique would be ripping off the Bomonga design and if they so desperately desire custom shoulders, they could make them with the limitless color palette options that stud.io provides.

Plus, they’d have to use a mask of a different size and proportions to the organic Sanok with an axle in a technique designed specifically to compensate for the lack of an axle. You’d be pushing an axle through a Nuva shoulder, at which point I would say just come up with a unique design. The hassle is incredible and doesn’t seem nearly worth it.

2 Likes

Makes sense.
Thanks for the info.:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Heyo! I’ve just got a few minor questions. I know armor on the rear of the torso isn’t allowed because we want to emulate the original Hagah’s armor placement. Would rear thigh armor be disallowed for a similar reason? I’m considering this design specifically for a bruiser type build.

Second, I’m considering a chain bandolier similar to the one used on JTO makuta. Would this be allowed as chest armor? What if I were to mount one of the chain links on the hip or rear of the torso. Would this be DQed as rear chest armor? Finally, what if I wanted to have a full bandolier, i.e. one that wraps fully around the torso. Again, would this be viewed as rear chest armor?

Sorry for these pretty innocuous questions, but I’d rather ask now than have my to edit my entry later for a triviality like doubled thigh armor. Thanks!

1 Like