Toa Kualus

Elephant in the room: Yes, all my Toa Hagah are silver! There are 3 reasons for this: 1) When the contests continue, it would be difficult to coordinate color balance before each of the 4 winners had been found, so the colors will most likely have to be changed in the following artwork anyway. 2) I liked the look of it: From a design perspective, using only silver really made the team feel much more like a cohesive unit - and enabled more interesting designs than what my experiments with gold produced! And 3) It made sense story-wise: Iruini could very well be the only one with golden armor - remember, he was gonna leave the team, so perhaps the gold was used to signify his status as an “honorably discharged” Toa Hagah! Now, with that out of the way, here’s Kualus:

One of my favorite things about the Rahaga was their mentoring of the Toa Metru, how they shaped their personalities into the Turaga characters everyone knew. A noteable example is Turaga Nuju’s use of bird language, which he, as we found out in the comics, learned from Kualus as a lesson in humility! Thus, I gave him armor which looked somewhat avian in nature, such as the beaky-looking Roborider head and the winged Stormer piece. I saw him as a sort of “effortlessly cool” guy, who was also very much in touch with nature - a bit like Legolas from the movies! So that made it clear what his action pose should be :smiley: Any feedback is appreciated!

Front

Side

Back

Alt. Front

Action pose

Alt. Action pose

29 Likes

Its for sure a cool moc, maybe not my ideal look for the character when it comes to something that could be canon.

I like the spear design its really cool, i like the color blocking on him. However in terms of canon I feel he is something thats a bit complex for a Hagah. In terms of a stand alone moc I don’t mind this but as something to be made canon it becomes a bit of a pet peev for me.

Overall really cool moc, love to see your take on the others

3 Likes

Wonderful, gives me hope that these contests won’t just be competitions over mask and camera quality. The way the textures flow together between the kanohi and torso armor works super well. Great job overall.

7 Likes

@Tarkur Thanks a lot! He’s definitely the most complex of my Hagah :smiley: Bomonga and Gaaki are already online - here are the links: Toa Gaaki and Toa Bomonga
Pouks is coming soon!
@Winger Wow, thanks for those nice words! I’m happy to hear that :hugs:

4 Likes

Your hagah-design’s concept is very cool,especialy his BIRD-Design.
the Spear’s design looks like Bird’s leg-claw to me, and its is so match to his character!

2 Likes

@Bukkey Thank you! :smiley: I see what you mean - I knew its shape reminded me of something bird-y!

That’s a great MOC! I love your more creative approach to a standard metru build.

The only thing here that I’m not a fan of is how open and skeletal the lower legs are. Maybe you could try to armour them up a little more to hide that technic?

3 Likes

@NOTaHFfan Thanks, happy to hear that!! I can probably look into some “filler” for the legs :wink:

1 Like

This is quite a cool moc i like the subtle-ish Y-Shaped Torso(armor) and shoulder armor

But that axle sticking out on the back leg should get a half bushing

3 Likes

I love how the torso armour flows into the shoulder pads. I feel like the HF armour piece should be slightly higher, I imagine you’ve put it as low as it is to avoid impeding the arm movement.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the custom lower legs though. They look kinda messy from anything other than the front. it would probably look cleaner to put that Visorak foot over any of the pre-existing leg pieces.

But yeah, very nice rendition overall.

1 Like

The lower legs look a bit unfinished, but the rest of the MOC is awesome. Just add some shoulder armor in place of the studs, and you will have my vote!

1 Like

I really like that spear tip. The chest is maybe a bit heavy on the silver, but it still looks really good.

I’m also noticing a lot of Rode-wearing Kualuses (Kuali?). Is it just because it’s silver? Either way, it fits.

2 Likes

First of all, thanks to all of you guys!
@Senit Happy you like it! I would cover the axle using a half-bushing, but I don’t have any in black, so I’ll have to think of something else…
@Timeline15 Thanks, I’m quite liking it too! And yes, it’s placement was necessary. As for the legs - I myself am also in favor of using singular pieces that “do the job” whenever possible, but I really wanted the Visorak piece to determine its main shape! It will be cleaned up tho :slight_smile:
@The_Blue_Panda Thank you, I’m happy that you like it so much! I actually tried it on before going for the studs, but it made him a bit to buff for my liking… :sweat_smile:
@TheJerminator Awesome, thanks! And yes, I think it has to do with the rather limited selection (apart from looking cool!) :smiley:

1 Like

This piece might work

1 Like

@Senit Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking, although with some modification it could also be fun to try to attach Metru thigh armor in black! I’ll see what I can do :smiley:

1 Like

yes that idea with the armor might look really cool

1 Like