Toa Mangai of Earth, Marn (kut ver.)

One of the toa of the Lhikan team! Toa of earth, Marn.

Respecting the canonical aspects, it is only known that he wears the kakama mask. I’m using the version that Galva made. I had printed this mask before it was canonized on Pouks, so maybe I’ll change it later to another version of Kakama.

For the color scheme, I chose the same one used by Onua mistika in 2008: black, silver, gray and red accents. About the armor, I always thought that the Thunder villain’s head would go very well with Nuhvok-Kal’s shield, so I tried to combine the two in Marn’s armor.

For your weapon, I chose a pair of drill gauntlets. I was inspired by @brazybonkles 's moc to use the pohatu phantoka blades.

The Earth Gauntlets, these gauntlets have drills with the special ability to heat up to make the earth softer to dig with its high temperature. Combining this ability and Kakama’s power, he can dig at an incredible speed. It’s almost like the soil is a liquid to him

About the set: I tried to make thick legs, representing the natural strength he has in it, which is amplified by the power of the mask. In a way, as the only thing we know about most toa mangai is the mask they wear, I ended up making sets with physical attributes or armor that helped or applied the mask’s effects in a way.

The torso gear mechanisms work for both arms, and it has a rotation lock to be able to fix the set in many positions.

【My own lore】

This Toa is a strategist, he likes to think before he acts. During the fight against the kanohi dragon, he watched the fight for a while before actually participating in it.

Thanks to the Kosonen’s blizzard, the dragon was on the ground, so Marn decided to dig galleries along the battlefield, with a thin layer of “floor” covering the gallery.

When the dragon stepped on a ground that was on top of some gallery, it sank into the ground and was temporarily trapped (just like the monster hunter’s trap).

Instructions

29 Likes

Nice way to stop red axles from looking out of place

6 Likes

The use of red gives off a heavy duty equipment vibe for some reason, and I really dig it. Especially those weapons.

5 Likes

Ooh this moc looks pretty good. The color scheme is quite nice and the Thunder helmets really work well with the Nuhvok shield. Weapons and build are neat as well, great job.

5 Likes

Very nice, the shoulder connection is really creative

4 Likes

cool!

3 Likes

Noice

3 Likes

He looks really good. I think he looks nice with Galva’s Kakama, no need to change it. :wink:

4 Likes

I like the red as a secondary colour, but I think there needs to be a bit more of it. The weapons kind of help, but without them the red looks more like placeholder parts than an intentional secondary colour.

Besides that, though, this is a really good model with a solid build. I love the creative choice to “match” the Nuhvok-Kal shield with the Thunder heads, and it works great.

The mask choice is also fine. I personally prefer the standard Kakama for the Toa of Earth, but I don’t mind this one either, and it doesn’t really matter that the design ended up getting used on Pouks. It could even be possible that Pouks was honouring Marn.

4 Likes

I hadn’t noticed, I liked the idea. I’m going to try some substitutions to give him more color. Thanks!

2 Likes

That’s a neat build, I never knew the other Mangai besides the main three had their masks described. Where did you find this stuff?

3 Likes

Canon information is compiled on BS01, but this information is originally sourced from interactions Greg had with fans on various message boards:

4 Likes

Thunderthighs

2 Likes

cool to see some red accents on the build! and that shoulder design is amazing

1 Like

Those pohatu Propeller pieces don’t get used often enough, and I don’t think I’ve seen them as drills before, but it really works.

2 Likes