Toa Mata (revamp) by of_alt

Hello everyone. My name is “Alt”.
(I’m Japanese and I’m not good at English. I’m using Google Translate, but my English may be strange.)

I built the Toa Mata revamp model.
For me, “Full Action Toa Mata” has been my “homework” for 20 years.
I hope English-speaking Bionicle fans will love these models.

Tahu, Toa of fire

Lewa, Toa of air

Pohatu, Toa of stone

Gali, Toa of water

Onua, Toa of earth

Kopaka, Toa of ice

51 Likes

I love these, but I feel like with Onua’s claws the black blends together too well that it’s hard to tell what we’re seeing. Perhaps making the claws a dark grey would help with that?

1 Like

Flux, thank you for your reply.
Although it is ONUA’s claw, if you change the connector joint instead of the claw to a dark gray part, visibility may be improved.

1 Like

Can we get a. Breakdown of that torso?

1 Like

These look really cool! Fantastic work :smile:

3 Likes

Awesome job, @of_alt!:+1:

1 Like

sorry. I didn’t take a photo showing the structure of the torso.
The torso uses a lot of SYSTEM parts to get the desired shape (mainly the curved surface around the waist of GALI).

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I like the general design of these, but there’s a lot going on and the black looks kinda out of place on most of them. Overall great work!

3 Likes

Solar_Claptrap, thank you for your reply.
The black part and the other colored parts were intended to represent “undersuit” and “armor” like “Kamen Rider”.
If it didn’t communicate well, it’s my lack of ability.

2 Likes

Wow! Onua is my favorite, I love those claws! I don’t know why, but gigantic glove-looking things like that are always awesome to me.

1 Like

Pakari, thank you for your reply.
ONUA is a very powerful character as symbolized by the Kanohi Pakari.
I expressed his strength with a big gauntlet.

They have a really nice range of movement.

1 Like

I am not a fan of the way the colors are arranged, but the build overall looks pretty solid! I really like the blend of system and traditional Bionicle pieces, it goes to show that system Bionicle can be done.

1 Like

tahtorak, thank you.
The range of the movement is what I was most careful about in this build.

LegoDavid, thank you.
I also like the blend of Lego system and Bionicle parts.
This technique is essential to get enough movement in a modest build.
However, I am still studying the color scheme.

2 Likes

Kopaka and Gali are definitely my favorites, but overall they’re all pretty great.

2 Likes

TheMOCingbird, Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hi there, Alt! Thank you so much for joining TTV sharing your work here and on Instagram as well.

I have been following your work on Twitter for a long time, not only your revamps of the Toa, Turaga, Matoran and Makuta, but also your experimentation with LDD and your intention on revamping the Piraka.

The more I see and comprehend of your “Full Action” frame, the more I love it; the mix of LEGO System and LEGO Technic is both bizarre and beautiful, plus its silhouette reminds me of slim mechs like the EVAs and the Lagann.

I never knew that this was a 20-year old homework, I must commend you for staying strong and persistent to design such frame. I also never knew it was inspired on Kamen Rider until now and I have been a fan of the franchise since I saw small clips of W back in 2010! I love it!

I wish I could have traveled to Japan a few years ago, to see the work you and your peers showcase in the fests and ceremonies at Yokohama, Kobe and other cities. I can only imagine how much it hurts that these events have been cancelled or postponed this year. That is why I can’t thank you enough for sharing these high-quality photos with the BIONICLE community. Hopefully one day I can thank you in person once I go to Japan.

Take care! And keep on building!

2 Likes

These are absolutely fantastic. They pulled me out of my years long hiatus on this forum just so I could give them some support. Nice work.

1 Like

Welcome back! I’m Cordax, by the way.

1 Like

@FuegoDeCera
Thank you for keeping an eye on me!

The meaning of “homework 20 years ago” was that when I first met Toa Mata in 2001, I regretted them because their necks, elbows, and knees didn’t move. And that motivated me to build Full Action Toa Mata.
(The actual design time is about 3 years. Sorry)
Once the Toa Mata build is complete, I want to get other characters as well, so my current goal is to build a Headcanon ver of the Matoran Universe character.

There are many Bionicle model makers in Japan that far exceed me. If you have no problem with the opportunity, please come to Japan!

@SteampunkTahu
Thank you for watching the work !

I hope my build has been a charge for your motivation.

@Cordax
Thank you so much !

2 Likes