Toa of Water WIP (C&C Wanted!)

, ,

Hi guys! Just wanted to share this Toa I’ve been working on, and get some constructive criticism!

Aside from general critiques, I’m having trouble deciding what mask to use, and also what her weapon should be. I’ve added photos of the mask options, let me know which you prefer!

I know the Adaptive Kaukau isn’t the most popular mask, but I don’t mind how it looks :sweat_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to check out my post!

28 Likes

the hands aren’t great, maybe try something like Glatorian hands or something custom. you’ve done a good job conveying this is a female character without going overboard, so Bonus Heyzorks Points there. methinks the Matatu looks the best on this moc.

1 Like

Overall, this is a pretty simple looking, but really solid moc. As Heyzorks said, I think the hands could be better, especially if you went the custom route with exo-force arms as fingers. As for the mask, I think the Great Ruru is definitely the best looking (but I also just like that mask in general so idk). The last thing I see is the elbow joint looks weirdly thin, and slipping a tire on there would help a lot. Awesome moc, can’t wait to see the finished version!

1 Like

Realy great looking moc. cant recommend much myself but Id say one of the lighter blue masks might work better with your current color scheme. the upper area lacks a bit in that color otherwise compared to the lower one where you have two big surfaces in that color with the feet.

1 Like

i personally really like the first mask, but i would suggest changing the forearms. the ccbs feels out of place.

1 Like

This is a pretty good looking build so far, though the torso does seem slightly “slabby”, if that makes sense. I think the Pakari, Ruru, and Faxon all look good, but the first two look a little bit better because of coloration. I honestly think the hands are fine as is.

2 Likes

I really like this, and it’s a great start. I would recommend either removing the propellers or changing them to fit the color scheme. Also, the places where the joints connect (i.e. the elbows, knees, hips, etc) are pretty barren, and ruin the consistent shaping you’ve got going on. In my experience, using rubber tire rims in those places work extremely well.

2 Likes

Looks pretty good so far, the Faxon is my personal choice for mask. However I’d say either change the color of the yellow propeller things or get rid of them entirely.

1 Like

So far she looks quite good! Nice work! I think the forearms could use a bit more armor though:
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 10.57.09 AM

The Matatu is probably my favorite out of these. I think a boxy light blue mask is necessary to counterbalance the boxy light blue feet, and the mask just looks really good here. Plus, it’s more unique; I hardly ever see mocs with a noble matatu, let alone a light blue one.

I think the weapon’s fine, if a bit cliche. I’d suggest adding shield (maybe it could double as some kind of small vehicle?)

2 Likes

Personally I like the Faxon. As for the weapon, the Trident does work pretty well I think, maybe try making a custom one?

2 Likes

Good looking moc - i say stick with the faxon and mabye try and build a custom trident, mabye like Gali master or Hahli Mahri’s claw.
the forearms could also use a bit more armor, mabye turn the shells 180 degrees
good work though!!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys! Definitely agree with the hands, I’m waiting for a Bricklink order but she will have custom hands. I’m gonna switch between the Pakari, Matatau and Faxon to see which one I like the best.

I’ve ordered a few more parts that will hopefully reduce the slabbiness of the torso, and increase the amount of Medium Blue on the upper torso.

I feel like without the turbines it’s a bit boring, but I’ll try them maybe in black with grey propellers.

2 Likes

well for the turbines I suggested changing the yellow outer area

Falxon’s shape really works with the curves on the chest and shoulders so I would say it’s the most fitting. Turbines on the back are great idea for a toa of water, it’s a massive shame that turbines were never used on water characters since after Gali nuva, I greatly approve of your idea.
One thing that I really dislike are CCBS lower arms, they are too simplistic for the rest of the build. I wanna be constructive, so let me suggest some solutions!

See if you can use any of these configurations, I especially think the last one would work quite well on your toa, here is how to build it:

3 Likes

Great build! I think that most points I would bring out have been brought out, as for the mask I think the Matatu looks the best

2 Likes

Those are some nice designs! My only gripe about using custom designs is that all the ones I’ve tried are either too bulky, or I can’t make them using the colours I want. The CCBS armour provides a low profile, and it provides a bit of similarity with other Toa I’ve made. I have put a tire on them now, making them slightly more complex :laughing:

Here’s version two. Only minor changes this time around as I’m still waiting on parts, but I’ve added technic “u” connectors to the upper legs to close the gap a bit and slightly tweaked the torso to make it less slabby.

I’ve also replaced Kiina’s trident piece with a custom axe-trident, which I’m quite a fan of. The shaft will be a bit more detailed eventually.

The arms have also been redone, In terms of proportions I felt like the old upper arms were one stud too long, and the lower arms were one stud too short. The new design also gets rid of the thin elbow issue.

Hopefully, there’s a sense of similarity between these guys, like they’re conceivably from the same place.

8 Likes

That custom trident looks pretty good.

3 Likes

Thanks! The Mistika blades came together better than I expected

3 Likes

Fabulous. I think the CCBS is fine, because the chest and shoulders are smooth enough that it doesn’t clash too bad in terms of texture, but something that might be with just messing around with is changing the direction so it points towards the shoulder, and added another tire to the wrist. That trident is fantastic.

2 Likes

Oooh, nice trident! they really look like a team!

1 Like