"Toa" Umae

About half a century after the reformation of Spheres Magna, Umae was transformed from contact with energized protodermis. Believing to be a Toa by matoran and himself, he defends a remote mining village alongside Dredan.

Due to the nature of his transformation, Umae lacks elemental powers. He wears a greatly enhanced kanohi of healing. He is armed with a heavy cleaver.

Each shoulder has an additional hinge for greater posability.

Mask was designed by Toa Tom on Shapeways (Kanohi Mask of Healing (68ZEHAEGY) by tom_rule95) and painted by Modalt Masks.

He was largely designed around the mask (namely its curvature) but also takes notes from my armor in various halo games among other less prominent inspirations.

40 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

This looks quite good!

1 Like

Unique backstory-I like it when a character isn’t too op, haven’t heard of many ‘medic’ types in bionicle. The little blue touches are nice as well. I’m a little confused by the red fin but I assume there’s a reason behind that choice, also I’m not quite convinced by the arms, they seem a bit too thin but they still look good.

2 Likes

Early in his design the upper arms were bigger but this hindered articulation. Instead I connected his shoulder armor to his torso to make up for this. In some poses, his arms do look rather skinny, though. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Thank you

Cool build! Love the shaping on the torso, especially those two pieces in the middle of the chest, they stick with the shaping of the build quite well

1 Like

The intricacy of this is quite impressive. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I don’t know why, but I like him very much. Legs are ok, arms are thin but they look fitting with his background, that cleaver is gorgeous, and his body is absolutely perfect. Also, great poseability. Only 1 concern - uncovered stud under the neck. Don’t know if it’s intentional, but it disturbs me.
Whom he was before transformation? A Ko-Matoran?

1 Like

Thank you! Regarding the uncovered stud, I tried covering it up with different tiles and slopes but those attempts led it to looking too bulky. I haven’t tried fixing it in a while (Umae is about a year and a half old), but I may look into it again.

Also, Umae was a De-Matoran before his transformation.

I really like the backstory.

What was he before his transformation?

I assume a Matoran, since he thinks he turned into a Toa, but I figured I’d check.

The comment above yours should answer that question

1 Like

Thanks.

The shaping you’ve got here makes me jealous.

1 Like

Thank you! I knew I would have to use a lot of system when I started building him to get that curved look. He took quite a while to build too lol.

1 Like