Toa Zaria WIP for contest

SO I wanted to share my mostly complete Toa Zaria for the contest once that one rolls around and get the communities feedback on a couple things.

First design choices. I made him intentionally larger than a standard Toa and longer arms wanting to have him bulky and a steam-punk esc aesthetic. I took some creative liberty with adding copper into the scheme but tried to keep the aesthetic the correct dark orange and pearl dark gray color scheme. With bright orange in as well but largely due to a limit on part colors in the dark orange. Yes he has gear function.

Second you may notice he does not carry a weapon this is because in my vision he’s a Toa of Iron and as such can manipulate and utilize parts of his armor as weapons or traps. Along with forearm amounted blades and a second set on the back of legs for versatility. Below are a couple polls with the main issues I’m torn on, but please feel free to leave comments as well.

Color changes
  • Leave as is!
  • Remove all bright orange swapping to dark blueish-gray and spay mask dark orange.

0 voters

Third I am playing with the idea of a different mask, The Weha Mask of Division by Galva in place of the mask of Biomechanics by KingK. I chose both of these because I felt they would have given Zaria an advantage to survive the Makuta’s attack: division having multiple copies allowing him to destroy the Makuta armor by overwhelming numbers, or Biomechanics allowing him to slow the Makuta’s movements enough to allow him to strike a decisive blow. And they fit my steam-punk aesthetic.

Mask Choice
  • Leave Biomechanics as is.
  • Leave Biomechanics, but change to Dark Orange.
  • Swap to Weha, paint Bright Orange.
  • Swap to Weha, paint Dark Orange.

0 voters

Finally, should I build a traditional held weapon?[poll name=poll3 type=regular results=always chartType=bar]

Weapon
  • Leave Toa as the weapon.
  • Build hand held Weapon, leave elbow blades.
  • Build Weapon, but remove elbow blades

0 voters

Thank you in advance for viewing and feedback. Comments and suggestions are also welcome beyond the polls as well.

20 Likes

the arms are really long, I think it would be best if you shortened them.

6 Likes

I think you can make him bulky without giving him the ridiculously long arms that make him look like a gorilla. I’m always one for steampunk aesthetics, but right now it just looks messy. Some really easy, simple improvements would be solidifying the color blocking, removing the bright orange, and shortening the arms. I also think you really should change to the Weha, the mask of Biomechanics looks a little … derpy.

4 Likes

Like other have said, the arms do make him look like a gorilla. Especially with how they wrist area looks. As for the mask, contest wise it doesn’t matter, but I prefer the Weha

1 Like

He kind of looks like the iron giant with the mask of biomechanics, but I kind of like that aesthetic. Also, technically those are forearm blades, not elbow blades, unless I’m mistaken. But anyways, I really like it

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been trying to redesign the arms more just didnt want to over do the post with to much and limit to quick fixes on esthetics with easy fixes while I adjust the arms

forearm blades much more accurate description

Really cool design, I particularly like the way some parts are used, particularly what look like flower stalks on the shoulders. Also it’s pretty difficult to pull of a “hybrid” look (by that I mean using both G1 and CCBS parts) but you’ve managed to get it just right. I’d have to agree with the others and say the arms could do with being a bit shorter though, but other than that I’d say it’s pretty spot-on. You say this is for the canon contest, and normally I’d be opposed to having a G1 character being canonised as being primarily CCBS, but you’ve done it well enough that, unless another one really knocks it out of the park, you’ll have my vote for sure.

1 Like