Tournament of the Years!

Gotta say I think 02 wins it for me, 03 had some cool stuff but I can’t get over how ridiculously cool the Bohrok were for even 12-year-old Miney. I don’t even own the sets and I still think the year was awesome.

4 Likes

Oh oops…

So with 2002 winning that’s leaves only one more qualifying round.

0 voters
3 Likes

2015 for me; didn’t get a single set from '16 so I feel no sentiment

3 Likes

2015 Kopaka was my first Bionicle set ever, I remember getting him at the Lego store and not getting to build him the next day because my mom made me practice piano… nostalgia for that is fun

4 Likes

The Toa Masters, despite their flaws (and how the Uniters were more fun to build) take the cake from appearance and great functionality alone. Probably will get flack from this, but I think they are the best versions of Toa sets we could have hoped for. I really liked Gen 2.

5 Likes

I never have owned any 2015 or 2016 sets except a protector which I took apart long ago as I did all my sets. Though 2015‘s Toa I always found more appealing.

3 Likes

With that that poll closed the remaining years are
2005, 06, 07, 08, 02, and 2015.
Next round.

0 voters

This one seems like it will be interesting.

4 Likes

G1 all day long babeyy

3 Likes

Gonna make people mad here, but I like 2015 more. I know it’s unpopular because it replaced all of the old characters, but I actually really like the sets, and I thought the mask knock-off feature was the coolest thing ever. Even to this day, I think the sets can play well together in a way that G1 can’t, due to G2’s stronger joints and sturdier weapons.

5 Likes

2015 for me. Besides the titan sets, I found many of the 2008 cannister sets very weak. The back attachment gimmick wasn’t very great either IMO. Meanwhile, besides perhaps Skull Scorpion (which let’s be real, it wasn’t THAT bad) 2015 had some very fun solid sets.

5 Likes

True. I dislike how they changed the design of sockets in 2008 to make them more flexible(and thus less stiff) and then made them too thin, leading to cracking issues.

4 Likes

Not what I meant by “very weak” but that’s also true lol.

More that I thought the designs were lackluster. I ironically think 2009 was far more fun with the Inika build than 2008 was. The way they handled the Toa was kinda lame in my eyes. (Though I really like the Phantoka Makuta.)

5 Likes

08 winning with over two thirds of the votes.

0 voters

This one is odd but I have a reason for doing it this way.

3 Likes

As much as I love the Bohrok and want to vote 02 by default, 07 set line up was the most fun and the world-building kicked off on full force with the serials

4 Likes

2002 for sets alone.

The Bohrok were amazing. I don’t think any other BIONICLE villains can compare to their level of iconic. Maybe the closest is the Piraka.

5 Likes

2007 to the next round.

0 voters

This one might be close just for the titan sets.
After this is the final round which of course will be a three way poll cause I don’t know how else I should do it.

4 Likes

It gets a lot of flack but '05 was the last chapter of the silver age. Had the best titan builds (barring Maxilos) and the final gear function of G1.

'06 had beautiful titan builds but the torsos were less interesting to build with the Inika frame, and while the Piraka were very iconic as Cronk previously said, the had the same left arm issue as the hordika did, and weren’t much more interesting in the building process.

I’d also say the last really interesting projectile was the rhotuka, because everything after that was just a gun. Kanoka and rhotuka lent themselves well to the world building, whereas Zamor, Cordak, midak, nynrah, and thornax were basically just guns with scifi bullets. Seen it a million times in a thousand franchises

5 Likes

I agree. The 2005 titans had quite excellent articulation for non-Inika builds.

4 Likes

05 definitely. If the movie (which I thought was fabulous for a nearly 20-year-old animated film) isn’t enough, the Visorak sets have to seal the deal. They introduced the 7-stud long connectors that the Inika later relied entirely on. And, despite what some people might say and even despite the fact I don’t own any, I like the Toa Hordika. They have some nice pieces, such as the heads, weapons, and chest plates.

6 Likes

I think between the two I prefer 06. Both the Toa and Piraka strike a good balance between being clone builds but still having their own distinctions (granted, primarily because of the masks). As for the titan sets, both years compare to each other well but Vezon and Fenrakk just give 06 the edge over 05 for me.

4 Likes