Tournament of the Years!

2006 Actually won, so now here comes the last poll.

0 voters
5 Likes

2006 enjoyers (me, the gigachad) will remain the bastions of gimmicks. The Piraka were the coolest BIONICLE villains, I will stand by that.

2008 enjoyers will remain the bastions of the unheard.

2007… I still think it is massively overrated. Are folks forgetting some of the problems with the Toa builds this year? (Hewkii, Nuparu, and Kongu feel like afterthoughts and are extremely underwhelming.) Even the Baraki, as fun as their builds are, are kinda underwhelming. I think folks rate it off the story alone. Titan sets were great.

6 Likes

I’m really stuck between 07 and 08. As much as I love the Piraka, and I agree that they are the best bionicle villains, I think I might be slightly biased against them as I was never allowed to buy them when they came out. Additionally, I find that the toa builds in 08 and 07 are way more interesting than those in 06. Don’t get me wrong though, all three of these years are close in my mind, and I really am having trouble choosing between 08 and 07.

5 Likes

I never found any of the sets underwhelming. Many of the sets were simplistic but they had a wider variety nevertheless. With the Piraka and Inika I only really needed one to have em all; in 07, every set had it’s own build (bar the Matoran and hydruka). Made me want to buy the whole line up, kept it interesting

6 Likes

True. I don’t like that some of the 2007 Toa had worse designs, but it gave them less of the “clone” feel previous teams had.

5 Likes

At first I felt that some 2007 Toa were kinda unfinished though after some getting used to I don’t Mind it so much. 2006 Toa still have the edge for me. As for piraka and barraki, I won’t say either one is better. I am, however, more partial to barraki. Piraka were a very great new kid if villain, and character wise I think that the barraki built of that new type of villain well.

Oh yeah, phantoka sets are cool too.

5 Likes

The Mahri having actual differences in their builds more than makes up for it. Sure Hewkii is a bit lackluster, but he has a gun arm and chains. That’s awesome. Kongu is a heavy with dual machine guns. Nuparu has that big shield. Each Mahri has a unique silhouette, which is more than I can say for 08’s Toa Nuva, which fail to represent their characters and still have kinda lackluster builds in the latter half.

Same with the Barraki. The strong ones are really strong, and the weaker ones are still pretty cool. None are as bad as Bitil.

8 Likes

2007 had a singing squid

That alone gives it the win.

6 Likes

And finally, 2007 has won.

I hope you guys found this interesting.

5 Likes

I found the enjoyability of it very enjoyable

4 Likes