Transformers: Dawn of a New Age

“Oh, I see. My apologies.”
Axis replied, quickly calming down. Her anger immediately switching to worry and concern.
“Do you know what exactly causes is?”
She asked.

“Gahh. You’re right. You’re right.”
Honeycomb closed her eyes and trembled a bit.
“I really need to learn to stop over thinking things.”

1 Like

“Fascinating,” Megatronus remarks, and he truly is intrigued by what LD-L1 is showing him. “How long has your order been in existence?”

Many of the other Thirteen frown at the cursing of Liege Maximo’s name. In their eyes, he had redeemed himself five thousand years ago with the defeat of the Heralds of Unicron. To them, hearing that many still hate him is disheartening, though rather understandable.

“It is one of the ways the Matrix expresses its displeasure,” Sentinel explains. “It’s methods of communication are often indirect, as I’m sure you’ve observed. When I tell you that the Matrix may soon close itself to you, understand that it is no idle warning.”

“Now you see the curse of the title of Prime,” Nova Prime interjects. “All that power in your possession, and yet you’re expected to abide by the terms of a negligent god under penalty of-”

“I do not recall anyone asking for your input, Nova,” Sentinel snaps, cutting the disgraced Angelicon off. “Though I suppose you would be more familiar with the Matrix’s punishments than anyone else.”

Nova Prime scowls and withdraws again, growling something most assuredly unpleasant under his breath as he retreats.

“Perhaps,” Onyx says placidly, shrugging his great shoulders. "

“Very well,” Overgrowth replies. Though similarly frustrated, continued back-and-forth in this hallway would only get less productive. “If you are so insistent on assisting us, perhaps you should see what exactly we’re doing. Follow me, please.”

The Knight strides down the hall toward the nearest airlock, looking back periodically to see if Stopgap is instead wandering elsewhere.

“Salvage, I’m leaving,” she says into her commlink. “You must watch the prisoners in my absence.”

“You know I have a fear of being left alone on a starship, right?” Salvage replies. “Comes from an overconsumption of sci-fi horror. Seriously, when you get back I’ll probably have locked myself in an escape pod with a plasma cutter.”

“You will have several humans for company,” Overgrowth points out.

“Right. Humans who were just trying to kill us earlier today,” says Salvage. “That makes it so much better.”

2 Likes

“Believe me, I do not take your words lightly. But then I must ask, what can I do to avoid such a fate? What must I change to keep the Matrix’s favor with me?”
Axis humbly asked Sentinel.

Nova meanwhile confusedly looked around the room when she heard her name called, though she quickly realized they were talking to someone else who just so happened to be named Nova.

“So uh… any advice? I guess? For the whole adventuring thing. Sorry. I’m still not entirely sure how to handle all this.”
Honeycomb asked.

3 Likes

“Perhaps that could be said for many things.”
Kitai said.
Its most likely that many of them know what i am…
So why haven’t they said anything?

1 Like

Ivory had no real drive to stick with the clearly insane god-bot, so he took his opportunity to duck out. “I’ll stick with him, you go on.”

———

“Unfortunately we do not have a precise date, due to our previous home temple being destroyed during the great war, but we are, in the grand scale of things, young, but we date to before the reunification. During the great war we served a welcome, if small solace to the conflict between our kind. Junkion to Decipticon were and still are welcome in our order. However our records were raided by all factions during the war looking for some nature of an edge, and much was lost. Though I believe some of our records at to at least Alistrian Prime, though perhaps older may exist on the Anchorite, our mobile grand chapel. A creation of Solus, if our records are correct. She may possibly remember it.”

2 Likes

“I am hardly the best person to ask,” Sentinel says, “as I could not manage to do so in my time. But I have told you that you are violent and reckless; the Matrix favors diplomacy, when possible, and careful consideration before employing force. It will disapprove of hesitation, however, to which I can personally attest.”

“Trust in your comrades, show the enemy no fear, and fight as though every battle is to be your last!” the spirit of Prima says confidently, raising a gauntleted fist.

“Whatever you’re gonna do, look cool while doing it!” Micronus laughs. “Give the historians something to write about.”

“Fight for something greater than merely the annihilation of your foes,” Onyx says, much more calmly than his siblings. “Without a higher calling, rage and bloodlust will consume you.”

Solus Prime leans in closer, now that her name and apparently one of her works have been mentioned. Her brow furrows as the tries to place the name Anchorite to a vehicle matching LD-L1’s description.

“Anchorite… Anchorite… I do not recall ever making anything by that name, though the phrase ‘mobile chapel’ can certainly describe some starships I’ve built for the Knights of Cybertron,” she says. " ‘Anchorite’ must be a name your order assigned to this vehicle."

“I believe he’s referring to one of your street-cleaners, Solus,” Alpha Trion comments, having paid greater attention to the mortal world over the eons than the rest of the Thirteen. “If this is the same group of cybertronians I’m thinking of, anyway.”

If the ghosts of the Primes have been observing the goings-on of the mortal world, as Sentinel’s words imply, then it’s possible that the spirits have seen no reason to consider Kitai a threat. Nova Prime, however, does not hold that opinion.

“What manner of abomination are you, that dares to enter this holy place?” the specter snarls as he glides past the hybrid. “As if the stewards of this place are not to be contented with allowing humans to leak their filth here!”

“Hear that, Salvage?” Overgrowth says to the Junkion, “you won’t be alone after all.”

“I won’t turn down the company of anyone with a rocket launcher,” Salvage remarks. “That’s a lesson I learned at a young age. Painfully.”

2 Likes

“Might very well be sire,” He said, responding to Trion. “As it’s primary feature is a large metal turbine that lowers in front of the entrance, that sucks up anything on the road. It then has some disassemblers inside of it that will break what it’s captured into it’s based components. We don’t often use it, but it has been for emergency purposes when a large force attempts to breach out sanctum. The cargo bay is primarily used for dormitories now.” He explained, hoping he may now have proof of it’s development.

“Smart kid, where are you? I’ll come join you.” Ivory asked

2 Likes

Seraphicon drew his sword and marches right up to Nova Prime, “do us all a favor: shut up.” He says to the specter.

“Okay, I may still be catching up but could we get some context for his outburst?” Firestorm asks Alpha Trion, more comfortable asking the Original 13’s historian.

2 Likes

“I suppose that’s helpful, if perhaps vague. Then again it’s not like I’m at a lack of resources at the moment. Now would be a good time for me to consult my other predecessor, while they’re all here. Unless of course there was anything else you wanted to share with me.”

Honeycomb grew a wide smile. The enthusiastic words of the Primes inspired quite a bit of confidence within her. Onyx especially.
“Thank you! That helps a lot actually.”

2 Likes

Defender asks, “Lady Prime, what shall we do next? I understand that we have the full council of Primes here, so this ought to be a good time to formulate a plan, at least for the next few days.”

Oreo heads back into the Tomb to find Razor. He is intrigued by the comments of the crowd.

1 Like

“One that’s looking for answers. For peace. Something you seem to be lacking.” Kitai said calmly.

3 Likes

Axis turned to Defender.
“I’m still not certain at the moment. I have a lot to consider. A lot to think about. Before I decide anything, I need to further consult my predecessors.”
She replied.

1 Like

Solus Prime’s eyes light up as LD-L1 describes the Anchorite, his words jogging her memory.

“I thought those were all destroyed!” she says. “In any case, I’m pleased that it has continued to be of use to people, even if it isn’t serving its intended function.”

Alpha Trion frowns, now that his suspicions are confirmed and he knows that the Followers are the same misguided cult he’s been thinking of.

“Your devotion is… admirable,” he says tentatively to LD-L1, “but I have to say, you and your fellows have some rather strange and not-entirely-correct perceptions of us.”

Peace,” Nova Prime scoffs. “I tried to uplift our species, to claim our rightful place in this universe, and they cast me down for it. What peace should I find in that?”

The shade of the disgraced Prime turns as Seraphicon storms up to him, blade in hand. “Perhaps I will,” he sneers. “Even after all these eons, my words fall upon deaf ears. Under my rule, our people would have been reunited far sooner. The war with the Decepticons, the return of the Heralds of Unicron, and even this new emerging threat could have all been avoided.”

With Alpha Trion speaking with LD-L1, Beta Maxx takes it upon himself to answer Firestorm’s question.

“Oh, that’s Nova Prime,” he explains. "He used to be an Angelicon, like Seraphicon, but he went mad after he bonded with the Matrix. He became a tyrant and was cast down in a revolt some twenty-one million years ago.

“It’s a shame,” he adds. “There must have once been something good in him for Matrix to choose him in the first place, I imagine. But ‘power corrupts’, and all that…”

“It is my pleasure,” Onyx says pleasantly. Micronus responds with a thumbs-up.

“I have nothing more to share with you,” Sentinel says to Axis, and to the rest of our heroes. “Go to Lacuna when you are ready. Find what I have hidden before your new enemy does, and do what you must with it. I could say more, but the Angelicon Order and even the Knights of Cybertron are not immune to corruption. The less I tell you here, the better.”

Oreo will find that the Tomb of the Primes is much brighter inside now, and currently populated by the ghosts of the previous Matrix-bearers, temporarily brought into the mortal realm by the Matrix through means unknown. It has never displayed such abilities before.

“I’m on the bridge,” Salvage tells Ivory. “Just keeping an eye on the cameras, making sure our guests don’t try anything stupid and looking for any more stowaways, I guess.”

2 Likes

“I was more referring to his disdain for one of our number here.” Firestorm says.

1 Like

“Oh! Well, I’m not sure that’s my place to explain…” Beta Max responds, nodding toward Kitai. He knew what the hybrid quintesson was, but he also wanted to show Kitai respect and give him the opportunity to disclose his identity on his own terms.

1 Like

Axis nodded.
“I understand. Though the next time I try to reach you, try not to be such a stranger. I’ll solve your puzzles if that’s what you wish. But there’s no need to be such a recluse.”

With that the Prime turned and walked through the necropolis. She approached the 12 gathered Primes. She acknowledged LD-L1 and Honeycomb who were already there. But she decided this was more important than whatever was on their minds.

She looked to the 12 spirits, addressing them respectfully and as a group.
“My esteemed predecessors, I require your guidance. All of you. Sentinel has warned me that my actions have lead me down a dangerous path. One that he himself fell to. One where the Matrix would reject me. Such a possibility… it frightens me, to say the absolute least. So I ask you, what can I do to avoid this fate? What must I change to keep the Matrix with me?”
She asked. While she tried her best to stay calm and composed, there was a noticeable level of desperation could be heard in her voice.

With Axis having gone to speak with the 13, Maximus looked to Sentinel.

“So… was there anything else big you did while you were Prime? Or is the whole Great War fiasco the only notable thing you did?”
He asked casually.

2 Likes

Ld-l1 took a breath, he knew what was coming. Ever since the primes had properly come back to be with the common folk, even in a limited way, it had caused a schism among the believers. Many lost faith, and left their order, calling them frauds and crazies, leasing to their current, rather depleted numbers. For those that remained, the Adjunct Deificus had made a decree. She would continue in her works, even if the Primes claimed to no longer be deities. Faith was good for the soul, even if that faith was proven to be false. She would not require any to join with her, but would welcome any to join her.

In the years that followed doctrine had been changed, through careful debate and discussion, until the current state had been reached. The old records were a simple misinterpretation of the Prime’s current state. The Primes, while functionally immortal, were not divine. Primus however was, and thus the thirteen, as his children were equivilent to demigods and worthy of honor regardless. Some chose to reject this, insiting that they were divine, and they too left the order forming their own.

LD-L1, after a few moments, spoke something that all of his order had memorized, just in the off chance that they found themselves in this circumstance. “I am… aware of our history, lord Trion. But, much has changed since your passing, and we have become well awakened to the truth, well, most of us. We realize now that neither you nor your siblings are divine, despite your apparent immortality. But Primus still is, or rather, as close to divine as one can be. So we keep the faith, and we retain our old trappings, as you and your siblings have still done much worthy of emulation and honor. You are not divine, mortal and fallible, but that does not mean we cannot attempt to emulate your successes. And so, we keep ourselves true to our old teachings and myths. I hope I am clear?”

———-

“Right, I’ll be there in a jiffy.” He answered, before taking off to find the place.

2 Likes

Solus Prime, Megatronus, Alpha Trion, Onyx Prime, and Micronus Prime are still engrossed in their conversations with LD-L1 and Honeycomb. Optimus Prime, though, steps forward. Due to his unique situation, his form is much more opaque, more “solid” than the other spirits the Matrix has summoned into the Tomb. It almost looks like one could reach out and touch him.

“If your primary concern is to cling to your power, Axis, then the Matrix will take it from you anyway,” he warns Axis. “It will leave you to seek another host one day, regardless of what you do- that is the way of it. Focus on becoming a better leader first and foremost, as Sentinel advised, not on appeasing the Matrix.”

“I understand,” Alpha Trion says after a moment of consideration. “I do not agree with you, but I understand. Faith has long been a pillar of our civilization- my fellow Primes and my companion Beta Maxx knew this, and thus encouraged it. I, however, have always put more value in historical truth. That is the purpose that Primus made me for- I’m sure you understand that.”

“The Great War, and all that has transpired since, is all there is to my legacy,” Sentinel Prime tells Maximus with a sad smile. “Early in my reign, I thought I could use the knowledge contained within the Matrix to redevelop technologies lost after the Golden Age. I even considered telling my people the truth about the War of the Primes and the Prime Colonies- reunification was an ambition of mine, though of course it would be an eon before the right people came along to make it real. As I peered deeper into the Matrix’s collective memory, and saw why the Thirteen hid such knowledge, I abandoned those projects. I decided that the time was not right, that my people were not ready. I have often considered that I may have been mistaken.”

The bridge is located at the front of the Pulsar. Salvage is currently hunched over the security console, scanning various holo-screens linked to the ships security cameras.

“If we’re gonna keep this thing, we need to install some interior defenses,” he remarks. “Like tripwires, or immobilizer rays, or just good ol’ fashioned turrets.”

2 Likes

"So. You tried to make a lot of people gods and those people cast you down for it because they didn’t want to be. Very simple,very straight forward. I think you have a ego the size of a moon, and a god complex, and so on and so forth. To be brutally honest with you, everyone, including the matrix, saw that you,and only you, were being an absolute steaming pile of egotistical mania,and everyone showed you signs that maybe what you were doing was wrong. And now you’re dead and have to deal with the consequences of being a terrible leader. My advice, is that if you cant at least cope, and change your opinions about what you did, and get your head out of the clouds of ridiculous imagery that cybertronians are the most supreme beings in the universe, you are going to spend the rest of eternity, sulking in a corner about “Ooohh,I couldn’t get my people to ascend, so i have every right to complain.” " Kitai said with a stern tone.

4 Likes

“I’m not entirely sure I understand.”
Axis replied.
“This is an active problem. I’ve already felt the Matrix lash out against me. I’m afraid that this might happen soon. But it sounds like you’re telling me to solve the problem, by not worrying about the problem?”

“I think you’re worrying too much about the symptoms of the problem, rather than the cause of the problem.”
Honeycomb interjected.

Axis looked to the insecticon with a confused and bewildered expression.
“Excuse me?”

“Ah! I-I’m sorry, Axis Prime, miss- I uh- I just- I spoke without thinking. I’m sorry.”
Honeycomb sputtered out in a nervous panic.

“Relax. I am not above criticism. If you or any of my subjects believe they have something to say to me, they are free to say it.”
Axis replied calmly.

“Okay, well… I don’t have all the context obviously, but to me it sounds like the Matrix isn’t judging you based on super specific details or anything, but on the overall quality of your work. Its like a hive manager.”

“I’m sorry, I’m not very familiar with insecticon culture. What is a hive manager?”
Axis asked.

"Oh, right. That makes sense. See back home in the Below, every insecticon has some sort of job they’re supposed to do. For example I used to work in resource organization before my friend and I transferred to food gathering so we could spend more time outside. But the thing is there are a lot of insecticons that live in the Blow. Way too many for queen Pterygota to manage on her own. So she has a whole bunch of hive managers. Their job is to look over a big group of insecticons and make sure that they’re doing their job well. Then those managers report back to the queen. Or maybe to Gossamer. I’m not super sure.

“Anyway, my point is that hive managers don’t fuss over the little details. All they care about is that you’re doing a good job. And to me, it sounds like this Matrix thing might be a similar situation. You’re looking for specific changes to make for a really specific outcome. But that’s not what the Matrix cares about. All it cares about is the overall quality of work. So if you spend all your time worrying about the problem and nothing else, then you miss the point entirely.”
Honeycomb paused for a moment as she realized she had been rambling. She turned and looked up to Optimus Prime.

“Did I get that right?”
She asked.

“Huh. Well that’s definitely unfortunate.”
Maximus replied. He waited another quiet moment before he spoke again.

"Do you really think Axis has been that rough on the job? I mean she’s still pretty new to the whole thing, but I’ve seen her work. I’ve been by her side every day since she was chosen by the Matrix. And she’s done a pretty good job. Managing the colonies, handling the occasional minor crisis, even meeting with interspecies delegates and laying out all the groundwork for rejoining the F.A.S. She’s had to handle way more than any other cybertronian lesder in a long, long time. She’s brought our people to a better place than they’ve been in millions of years. A reunified empire and free from exile. And as far as I’ve seen, the public don’t have any problems with her. Most of them anyway.

Maximus sighed.
"I’m not saying she’s perfect. She definitely has a problem with shouldering more work than she needs to, and she gets overwhelmed. And yeah, she probably does jump to violence a little to quick sometimes. But we’re from Eukaris, it’s kinda built in. Hard to work out of your system.

“My point is that she’s had way more responsibilities to worry about than a lot of other leaders before her. Definitely more than you did. Yeah she has problems, but she’s also still new. I just feel like you’re being a bit harsher than what she deserves.”

2 Likes