TTV Bionicle Canonization Contest #3: Toa Hagah - Bomonga

Permissions

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yeah
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Ok
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Sure, but keep the spears helm, it’s the best part

I’m only entering one Toa, as of now, that Toa is the Toa Hagah of Earth, Bomonga. Here’s how I envisioned him.

Breakdown

Update #1: Fixes with 'armor' placement

Silver pieces replaced with black in places where ‘armor’ isn’t allowed. I’m not sure if I need to replace anything else

Update #2: Changes to feet to be in accordance with rules

I added a longer black pin to Bomonga’s back because the old one did not go in all the way (3l black pin?)
I also added two bohrok fangs to his shoulder armor to hide the ball-socket a little more.
The Rahkshi feet in silver come from a bootleg set

Old version, breaks contest rules

Bomonga - Upper Body

Bomonga is a powerful Toa of Earth, and like all Onu beings in the Matoran Universe, he’s stronger than, for example, Ta or Ko matoran, and because of this I decided it would translate well that he’d have ‘heavier’ armor. The armor I chose was from Knights Kingdom because of its size, color, and the ability to cover his custom upper arms. Speaking of his custom arms, the way his Metru limbs are placed, his hands are not locked to a restrictive x-y motion. You may notice there’s also a small system slope piece, I used that system piece to make him appear less ‘gappy’. His chest is a simple Pahrak shield in flat silver, a black metru chestplate was chosen because it blended better with the metru torso as compared to silver.

Middle

This part of the metru build I feel is aesthetically the weakest when it comes to standard metru builds. On the canister toa, it always seemed very narrow, so I attempted to fill it with pieces to the best I could. I used a 3l bar connected to a pin to keep the lego hockey series piece in place, then, covered it up with a ribbed hose connected to a slizer foot. Nothing had to be cut because I covered Bomonga’s back with a skrall armor piece.

Legs and Feet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Whenever I watched LOMN as a kid, I always thought the Toa Metru limbs looked liked Nuparu Mahri’s limbs so I wanted to emulate this here. The only thing that I don’t like is how gappy they were so I beefed his legs up with silver pieces, like the connector and more ribbed hoses. There’s also two bar holes on the sides so I fitted black exo force hands and silver dinosaur tails on the sides to give Bomonga a more fuller look.

The feet are nothing special. however, I was originally going to have the HF feet attached to the ‘bionicle hand’ sideways but I felt that left way too much ‘hand’ just sticking out, so I used that ‘thicker slizer hand’ piece on both feet, and hand the ‘hand’ connect to it like it was a regular Thok/Zaktan/Avak/Nuparu Mahri foot. I used normal metru armor to cover Bomonga’s thighs.

Weapon and Shield

Both custom made and were the first parts designed. Originally I wanted to have Mahri blades on the sides on the spear but after reading the rules about spears being single tipped, I compromised, and instead of eating grilled cheese off a radiator, I opted for a regular rahkshi staff piece with an inika armor piece, similar to Vezon, and connected two silver, so the color scheme would be consistent, bohrok eyes, because the inika armor piece has bars on the side that can hold exo force hands very well. The staff is slightly smaller than Iruni’s staff.

The shield is nothing too special, just 4 takanuva staff pieces connected to one another and some 1x3 thin and 1x5 thick liftarm holding it together. I filled in the gaps with a silver visorak foot, silver nuhvok shield, and a rahkshi staff.

Height

My Bomonga is just a tad bit shorter than Iruni. I used the matoran version of Whenua because my Toa Whenua is ‘trapped’ behind a display that would have to be gutted to retrieve him. Besides, it’s clear Bomonga will not be shorter than Whenua, also, lore-wise, Toa Bomonga and Toa Whenua never existed at the same time in the core universe.

Extra Photos (new)

Extra Photos (old)

Thank you for your consideration.

35 Likes

There are some really nice building techniques here. Well done, and good luck!

2 Likes

Sweet, this is the MOC I’ve seen that come closest to any MOCs I’ll be voting for. Neat shoulder design, and the spear and shield both look quite good as well.

although I think, unfortunately, the silver on the lower leg will have to be removed, as I believe the rules only allow metallic armor on the torso and upper limbs. Could be wrong though.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Yo I don’t mind if mine loses, if this wins I’ll gladly draw a fantastic illustration for this. It’s fantastic!

1 Like

Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate it.

Thank you and also thanks for the heads up. I used the silver pieces on the legs to just break up the black a bit, not as armor. As of now I am making small replacements just in case my entry is considered not legal.

2 Likes

While the lower legs and shoulders are a bit more complex than the normal, they still look like they could be fitted as their own pieces on a more traditional build. And very nice feet attachment, it keeps the lower leg clean while allowing for the ball joints proper use. True, even amid all the customization, the only thing that looks more out of place is the crotch guard. Decent shield design as well. While it will ultimately be completely ignored if this gets turned to art, it is very smooth and looks practical as a shield. Good luck.

1 Like

my Favourite Toa Hagah contest so far

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate the critique, can always strive for a better build, I might try my hand at another Toa for the moc with this in mind.

Thank you so much, I am really flattered.

This moc is so well filled out for a Metru build!

1 Like

Thank you, I was really going for that.

1 Like

Very nice, this is the best Bomonga I’ve seen so far, you have my vote

2 Likes

It looks good, though the lack of visible neck is a little off-putting. Also… those feet, as always, cause me to wince. That’s none of your doing, though.

1 Like

Thank you, super glad to hear

I personally wouldn’t have a long neck on a toa, mainly because the neck is a vital and it’s better that it’s not exposed, you know? Also, I know the feet come in silver but since Bomonga is a toa of earth, I feel he’d always want to be ‘close’ to the ground not because I can’t find any wave 1 hero factory hero feet in silver in my collection or anything.

I didn’t know the feet came in silver. I just don’t like the way those feet look in any color. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why did you decide to change some of the pieces from silver to black?

edit: I found the reason. sorry I skipped the text.

Thank you for entering.

Before we can accept this model, the feet will need to be made into silver metallic to match the rest of the metallic armor. If you can do that within the next three (3) days, you’ll be all good to go. Thank you.

Neat Bomonga, good luck

2 Likes

The changes are complete and should comply with all rules now.

Thank you!

1 Like