Ultimate Power - Painting by PN99

Hello everyone on the Boards!

Well, here’s a thing.

I had this dream a few nights ago where I was one of the Toa, and at the climax of that dream we had to fight Makuta. It was beyond epic, there are no words to describe the pure joy I had during that dream.

Anyways, I guess it was supposed to be G2 Makuta in his physical form, and this is more or less what it looked like. It actually was sort of terrifying having this guy come after me…

Yea, again, it’s not Prpldragon levels of skill, it’s messy and incomplete looking, but I think it’s pretty good for a painting noob like me!

Estimated Completion Time: ~4 Hours

So please tell me what you think, and critique if you like!

As always,
Comment and Enjoy!

73 Likes

That’s really awesome.

1 Like

Makes me think of Hades from Greek mythology. Well done!

4 Likes

This is incredibly well done, I love your portrayal of Makuta.

3 Likes

awesome

reminds me of kil’jaeden

2 Likes

The head looks like a dragon 10/10 :wink:

This is great though, love it

1 Like

It looks great. Nice job

1 Like

There are events that must transpire…

2 Likes

Beautiful. Absolutely love the colors and shading, my only minor nitpipick is that his hammer has no scythe end.

1 Like

whoa this is really cool :o
great work :thumbsup:

5 Likes

this is sick man, keep up the great work

1 Like

I like the interesting take on Makuta - for me the Mask Of Ultimate Power was crucial to get the main aspects of (the six pronged design) however you managed to include some variation in a unique yet understandable way - such as the lower two spikes curving around to be reminiscent of his original mask ‘The Mask Of Control’ - whether this is intentional or not. The black smoke and red eyes enable him to have a similar vibe to his smoke appearance in JTO.

The hammer actually works well here for a being that size, you can imagine him trying to crush the Toa and it works better at this scale than his normal size where the hammer would seem too similar to Onua’s.

I think the general design of Makuta’s body is ‘alright’ it honestly has some nice aspects to it though doesn’t particularly feel like Bionicle pieces. For example the way you have done the shoulder pads i am guessing they are intended to be the skeletal rib pieces used on Onua’s shoulders? However i am unsure of a majority of the rest of how this character would be represented in toy form.

Though admittedly you are basing this off a dream, so real world set pieces don’t really factor into it as much. As such i can kind of disregard some differences such as the hammer lacking the spiked piece on the back. Its a great drawing and i like the overall style a lot :3

Any chance you could write your experiences in that dream, would help us to better understand the image and honestly could be a good story.

4 Likes

:open_mouth: Woah.
Prpl…

Thanks so much!

Thanks!

Actually, now that you mention it, it kinda does look like Hades, doesn’t it!

Why thank you!

I have no idea who that is, but he looks reminiscent! :smile:

I suppose so!

Thank you!

You know, I considered putting a quote on the painting from Makuta…

No, it’s there. Two spikes from the back of it, same color as the handle. Look directly under my signature along the left side.

Many thanks!

Thanks, actually in my dream it looked more like the Great Huna, so I incorporated the eye slot design and the top portion with the line running down the middle.

Indeed it was!

Mostly when I draw/paint Bionicle figures I don’t make many of the pieces too obviously LEGO pieces. For example, his arms are mostly CCBS shells, but I don’t show the bones and instead of the shell design I put in some plates with rivets in them.

Not really, those are just kind of there. No piece intended to be represented. They’re like little shells that come together to form that shape, like layers of plate armor.

Lots and lots of cloth…

Wow, thanks! I actually find that most of my paintings end up looking like this, and I guess it’s working! :smile:

Yea, I could try. Won’t make much sense, but I feel it would work well if I could change around some bits of it!

Thanks all!

4 Likes

whoa, this is a very emperor type look for makuta, I’d dig it if this were the set

1 Like

Ah ok :3

Maybe two versions then? One as it happened in the dream. The other sorted out a bit to make sense. Would be interesting to hear about it, kind of like other Bionicle related dreams.

1 Like

it… it’s beautiful… I don’t know what else to say, I have no words but beautiful

1 Like

WOW THIS IS LIKE REALLY RAD… sadly I have no talent for painting… good ol’ pencil & paper for me…

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it! Means a lot!

I honestly prefer traditional pencil and paper, I am much better in that regard, but I also find an appeal in this kind of style!

1 Like

Well same here, I just don’t have a steady hand to paint. :smiley:

1 Like

Oh man, so good; that shadin! Muah! 10/10 I really do like this work! Can’t wait to see more from you!

6 Likes