Unconfirmed Phantom Images

The phantom contest was NEVER A THING. phantom was created BASED the moc!

1 Like

That’s why I put it in quotes. It is similar to the current MOC contests, in the sense that it won a contest that did not necessarily make it canon, but it is still an interesting bit of trivia surrounding the character.

Maybe a better way to phrase it would be “This model was a winner of the Dark Hunter Contest, and was later the inspiration for the appearance of Phantom”.

Of course, that is assuming that this somehow doesn’t get canonized. If it gets canonized, then the image goes to the top of the page.

1 Like

The guy is legit, they’ve been posting other photos of winning entries

8 Likes

I know. I am not questioning whether or not his photos are truly of the winning entry. Until I see sufficient evidence otherwise, I will continue to believe that those images are the same ones that were sent to Lego that ended up winning the contest.

However, I am calling into question the canonicity of that appearance.

Basically, since the appearance was never shown in official media (due to the creator missing the deadline to send the model to Lego), it is not canon.

So, I am proposing that Greg canonizes that image (or images), since it did win the contest 15 years ago with the understanding that it would be featured in a canon piece of media. We may not be able to include it in Rahi Beasts, as per the original contest rules, but we can at least get it the canonization it deserves.

EDIT: I am actually starting to come around to the idea that these images are already canon. The name “Phantom” has been canonically assigned to the appearance of The Winning MOC With An Unknown Appearance; it isn’t like Greg wanted a new Phantom character and decided to take inspiration from that one MOC that didn’t make the deadline.

Obviously, Phantom is canon. Therefore, the Unknown Appearance is canon.

Well, the Unknown Appearance is now known.

1 Like

I say someone should just ask Greg about it.
If he’s willing to canonize the winner of a new contest now, I don’t see what issue he’d have with canonizing an old contest winner, that’s already “arguably canon”.

Did you link the wrong quote?
All he says there is that there aren’t photos online.

3 Likes

Every single post I’ve ever seen you make, with the exception of the first post of this topic, proves this to be untrue. You are constantly this guy and play the devil’s advocate in every conversation you enter. It aggravates and frustrates people.

As for the topic at hand, this is fascinating information. It’s worth bringing this up with BS01, and possibly Greg, though this was so long ago I’m not sure the latter would readily recall the specifics.

19 Likes

It seems that all these canon contests going on have brought to light a prequel of sorts…

THE PHANTOM MENACE

Anyway, this is really really cool. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

14 Likes

Seems to me that @TheJerminator was making a perfectly valid point in response to other people jumping the gun.

This build / collection of images never appeared in an official medium and (as of today) hasn’t been declared canon by Greg, so it isn’t canon.

Suppose we say the build is already canon. That implies that it always was, despite being known to only one fan for over a decade. Doesn’t that contradict the whole idea of canon as the thing accepted as official by LEGO / the community?

3 Likes

It’s nice to see old creations pop up. First Miserix and now this. And honestly, I feel like if it were actually a hoax then the moc would be well built.

If people are so opposed to a 15 year old moc, let them speak for themselves. Playing devil’s advocate only serves to muddy the waters and provide ammunition to those one supposedly disagrees with for the sake of being contrarian. I wonder if anyone opposed is going to repeat the same talking points because they saw them here…

5 Likes

I originally said this in the context of questioning the validity of the story behind these images. I suspected that some people would claim they were fake, but I have since realized that I should have let this come up naturally, and have apologized for jumping the gun on this.

The rest have my posts on this topic have been about the canonicity of these images; Given that these are the images that won the contest, but they never appeared in any official media, are they canon?

They definitely should be if they aren’t already.

1 Like

That’s exactly what it means.

And now the book is unneeded for this one thing.

2 Likes

It’s not. The Helryx MOC is not official. If I were to make a MOC based on the official artwwork, it would be exactly as canon as the winning MOC.

Yes.

1 Like

You didn’t say canon. You said official. The canon depiction of Helryx is based on the winning MOC. That’s the entire point of the MOC contest.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with Phantom.

4 Likes

Yeah.

So here’s the trick with Phantom: Was the name “Phantom” ever canonically assigned to the MOC in question? BS01 seems to indicate that the answer is yes, otherwise the MOC wouldn’t be mentioned on his BS01 page.

Because, if the answer is yes, then that means that Phantom’s canon appearance is The Unknown MOC, which is now known, and the MOC is canon at this moment.

But, if the name Phantom was never officially assigned to this MOC, then it is not canon, and it would have to go through Greg to get the canonicity it deserves.

I would say that the best way to settle this is to ask Greg, but that seems a little pointless; we would be asking Greg if it is necessary to ask Greg about a MOC.

Let’s just skip to the end and ask Greg about the MOC right now.

Does it matter? Greg named this submission “Phantom,” or Casey did. Either way, that’s his name and the character is canon. You’ve gotten into nitty-gritty details that don’t matter. If you don’t want Phantom’s design canonized, just say it, dawg. If you do–and you seem to–this discussion is going in circles and there is nothing more to say. I’m pretty sure we’re already at the “let’s confer with Greg” stage.

2 Likes

@SirKeksalot Exactly. If someone says they support X but goes on and on about why one should be against it, it’s hard to see it as a genuine conversation rather than concern trolling.

Might as well say “I don’t want the moc to be canon and here’s why.”

5 Likes

Assuming this is true, then it’s canon, since Phantom is a canon character.

But yeah. No matter what level of detail we want to get into, the best thing to do is to go to Greg, even if it’s just to get a more easily-citable source. Once he says something on the topic, these other details don’t matter.

@Kodiak

There’s a difference between “I don’t want this to be canon” and “I don’t know if this is currently canon”.

I certainly want this to be canon, I’m just not sure if it fulfills the requirements.

If it does not meet the requirements, then I think something should be done so that it does. Namely, including it in an official piece of media [a statement from Greg].

This revelation has been more exciting than anything involving the new canonization contests lmao

2 Likes

Yeah. In both cases, we get canon appearances for previously unknown characters.

This one just has the added bonus of being 15 years in the making.

2 Likes

I have linked this topic on the talkpage of the Main Page of BS01 mentioning Phantom with. I’ve been waiting for someone to notice it. :slight_smile: