Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Like with HF’s first wave?

5 Likes

Exactly. Except do it without making the heroes tiny Avtoran builds XD

5 Likes

I just want to know… Why? Not hating you or anything, just curious. I haven’t seen either in quite a while, though…

@LurkingEhlek This, all of this, except for the golden skinned being. I have no opinion on him. He’s just kind of… there… y’know?

I agree.

1 Like

Preach.

Also, Brain Attack was my favourite year of HF.

3 Likes

I liked XT4, I though his design worked.

5 Likes

I love 2016 Ekimu! :smiley:

4 Likes

Here’s another invisible unpopular opinion for ya- I find it embarrassing how underutilized Kongu was in the first year of the Ignition arc.

Not too unpopularly, I say I liked the guy. As a McToran he was my first set, and as the starting character in BIONICLE: Matoran Adventures, he was the first player character ever loaded to my Game Boy Advance. I beat the game with him first, too. So, even with my head in Ko-Koro most of the time, I still at least held a small candle out for a certain Miru-wearing Gukko wrangler.

Then the prequel year happened, and I learned how “the entire system could explode if [he] reversed the flow.” And then he took a nap at the end of the year. Lol OK, but can we get back to-

NOPE. INTERQUEL YEAR.

And it’s around here that I stopped following the story because the old farts just went on and on and wouldn’t shut up long enough to let it actually continue from the cliffhanger at the end of 2003- what I cared about- y’know, the apparent death of Makuta- and as it was just a recounted tale I wasn’t concerned one iota about how dangerous the Visorak were supposed to be, if the Toa would find a cure for their mutations in time to avoid being trapped as vicious beasts forever, (ugh) or whether or not the sleeping Matoran would be rescued, 'cause I already knew the answers to those questions and more.
Do not speak to me as if 2005 was a good year for story, 'cause if you do, I will bury you(.) nonlethally; I’ll even use pillows.

It’s not an unpopular opinion, it’s objective fact.

But anyway. Ignition arc. 2006. Kongu gets to be a Toa-hero and gets kind of funny-looking set, but I love it anyway, 'cause I love the character.

From this point it’ll be another three years before I’ll have read the first few books of Legends, up to the beginning of the Mahri Nui saga with City of the Lost. Really good stretch of books there, some of Greg’s best pulp as far as the thrill of plot doth go. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time through.

Kongu loses his Miru in Karzahni but gets a Great Suletu in return, so that’s a nice score. While traveling, he shows off a dry sense of humor that’s kinda fun, but his role in the party is otherwise pretty minimal. Seems to get even worse as they turn into Toa when it’s revealed that Nuparu’s wearing a Mask of Flight.

Nuparu. The Earth Toa. Graaagh. Should’ve been Kongu, but then again, Nuparu makes pretty good use of it, managing to incapacite an otherwise virtually indestructible Zaktan.

But… what does Kongu do? He holds his own as a combatant when it’s six-on-six, but he doesn’t get to save any of his comrades like the Toa Nuva did for each other all the time.

The only time Kongu’s special abilities are called on is in the eleventh hour, in the Chamber of Life, when he uses the Suletu to get the Mask of Life’s opinion on things, then re-route that information into Vezon’s head. The second half of that wasn’t even his idea- it was Jaller’s.

Even one of the best Fire Toa in the whole franchise has to scrub it up at least some I guess.

3 Likes

Yeah. His theme as an industrial, mass produced robot drone was conveyed really effectively by his exposed bones which I realized were to the set’s benefit as it gave XT4 a more mechanical look. His array of different tools wielded by his four arms and skinny aesthetic gave him a unique appearance as well.

I admit I actually hated the set after seeing pictures of it but once I received the set for my birthday my whole perspective of him changed. I guess XT4 is one of those sets you have to have in hand to really appreciate.

4 Likes

I like The Legend Reborn more than Web of Shadows.

4 Likes

What do you think of his prototype form?

Also Ordeal of Fire was my favourite HF wave and the first wave of villains were pretty darn rad (some better than even the Bionicle villains)

4 Likes

XT4’s prototype head looks much better than the finalized one. The rest is better on the finalized set.

5 Likes

It’s…
It’s a Bohrok shield!

4 Likes

Too many static awkwardly attached limbs.

1 Like

I don’t care about G2. It’s constraction and has some nice parts, so I’ll buy it so I can use it on my mocs. But overall, compared even to HF’s first four waves it’s kinda a flop. Not gonna bother comparing to G1 as they’re kinda completely different in regards to building system, and genwunner crap. Sure the sets are solid, but they lack a bunch of creativity in relation the years theme. I feel like the selling points are the gimmicks, which are nice, but I feel gimmicks should be secondary to creativity and theme of the year. The skull villains where very themed, but executed poorly, the toa just kinda feel like stock characters with different designs. I.E. Savage planet, the sets had a strong emphasis on the theme. Also there where many larger sets that I feel where better for the price. Not even just XL Rocka and the famously amazing Witch Doctor. If you do a larger set, either focus on looks and theme, or give it a really cool and different gimmick.

3 Likes

Hero factory’s 1.0 sets were objectively better than the toa mata. Even Stringer, Bulk, and stormer ave more articulation than Tahu/Lewa/Gali, their color schemes are better (mostly), and the veteran heroes all have a unique visual style on their helmet, weapons, and chest plate.

2 Likes

Since when are these opinions unpopular? I agree with all of them, especially '07 being better than '06. Although, I do think that the Piraka had good characters, but bad sets. I also don’t like the toa kiata, I like '05 a lot more than '04, and I don’t think that the toa were number one in the top ten functions video. I’m also not a big fan of skull warrior, as he seems uninspired. On the other hand, I think that the stars combiner is really good, given the parts they had.
@Rockho I actually really like the look of that prototype. The only downside is that the yellow limb parts seem a bit specialized.
Also, I think that, overall, the HF villains were better than the G2 villains. Even the ones that are built exactly the same look distinct and unique.

5 Likes

For the longest time, I hated the idea of the MU inhabitants being biomechanical. I had always perceived them as robotic, so when I found out they weren’t I basically said swivel to the canon and just envisaged them all as robots. I only changed my mind last year with G2, as the “bio” isn’t too obvious with the characters design-wise, so I don’t worry so much. In the end, they’re big metal dudes and dudettes, which happen to have squishy bits on the inside.

6 Likes

Why didn’t you like the idea of a biomechanical being? I mean, the difference between a full robot and a part organic part robot isn’t that great, or is it?

2 Likes

Heres one of the most unpopular opinions
G2>HF>G1
Also ccbs is better that the G1 building system

5 Likes