Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Dreamer has a point in that, unless we bring in new fans, the community will only shrink over time.

5 Likes

Oh.

Well like …

Well now it’s my turn for the unpopular opinion.

Is there a different expectation?

4 Likes

the Bohrok-kal are cool.

1 Like

The Bohrok should’ve been larger than the Toa

1 Like

Well, correct me if I’m wrong, but between 2010 and '15, before G2 came out, the community was essentially in free fall.
I still remember that there was a lot of heated debate about the Hero factory and the BringBackBionicle campaigns.
Not to mention the many fan projects that seemed promising at first, but ended up being abandoned or failed miserably, leaving many people depressed.
So, the activity of the fan base, in terms of quality, has been more like a rollercoaster than a steady line for the last 10+ years.

Strong Disagree here.

There is not a single brand/franchise that could survive without newcomers.
The older fans, over time, for various reasons, become inactive, and if there is no one to take their place, the subject simply fades into oblivion.

4 Likes

Sure. There weren’t great strides of progress for the community as a whole. Because that’s an unrealistic expectation. But the community was there - has been here - since G1 ended, creating MOCs, writing stories, and more.

I need some clarification on something: do you expect for the community to “come back” in some capacity? For there to be a resurgence of some kind, or a slew of successful community projects, like Brickonicle or something? I genuinely want to know, because I’m arguing under the assumption that you aren’t, because of how … naive everything I just said is.

It’s a freaking miracle. That we’re all still around. It’s been ten years since G1 ended, 6 since G2. And there are still so many people creating in the space. That’s … way more than could have ever been expected, way better than we should realistically have gotten. I’m not sure what else you want from the community.

We are living proof that that isn’t true.

Yes, of course the community will eventually fade to obscurity; it’s already begun. Really, it’s an inevitability, not an opinion, that it will happen. But here’s the thing: it should have already happened. A long time ago.

Bionicle, for all likely intents and statistical purposes, isn’t “coming back”. The only thing we can do is keep it alive as long as we can, and make its death as painless and creatively active as possible. That’s what we’ve been doing, since G2 at least.

5 Likes

Um, hello? Bionicle 5 Ghid Edition where every set is just Kopaka?

/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s

7 Likes

Well, the thing is, in my post yesterday, I left out an important part that might have got the point I was trying to make across better:

“I don’t think the fan base alone could keep Bionicle alive without an official G3.” (!)

It was my fault for not adding that part.
The point of my original argument was a reaction and counterargument to the now popular notion that “We don’t need a G3 because the fans will keep the theme alive.”

And to your two suggestions, I would add that, yes, to some extent I would like to see the community do more, larger scale projects (like Brickonicle…) in the future.

So I apologize for not framing it that way, but where I am, it was around midnight when I wrote my previous comment.

To this, I would like to respond with an old Hungarian proverb:
“one swallow doesn’t make a summer”
In other words, one exception does not always make a rule.

Generally speaking, my previous argument still stands.
I do not disagree that what the community has achieved in this decade or more is exemplary.
But, as you pointed out, the number of pre-existing fans is slowly but surely dwindling.
And, well, this is going to sound weird, but if I’m honest, I’d say I’d hate to see Bionicle as a brand and story get lost in obscurity. (Even if it were to happen slowly and creatively “painlessly”.)

True, the chances of another reboot or installation happening are pretty slim at the moment.
But, as naive as this may seem, I remain hopeful for one to happen in the future.

I don’t want to go into any more detail on this, as it would be too far removed from the subject of this Topic.

3 Likes

Well, actually the number of active fans on forums like this one is actually just in the hundreds. Here on the MB, only around 5000 people have accounts, and of those, I think only around 100 or so regularly come to the site. On other forms like BZ Power, it is even worse.

I’d say the current most active places for Bionicle fans are probably the Discord servers. The Quest for Mata Nui one especially, which has a staggering 12.000 participants. Sadly though, even the hype there, which brought back a bunch of old fans who were excited for the new fan game, is starting to die out as it seems like the guy behind the whole thing reveled it a tad too early.

10 Likes

I unironically like the Spice Girls Brickheadz.

2 Likes

Those aren’t real…are they?

6 Likes

It was recently announced on Brickset.

1 Like

That British flag piece/pieces might be useful

1 Like

Do other people not? They look pretty par for the course as far as Brickheadz go

I’ve seen a lot of “who even cares about the spice girls anymore” in reaction to this

I’m sure there are TFOLs who are biased against licensed themes that don’t like them. I’m not going to go into the licensed theme debate as there are valid pros and cons either way. If lego’s going for mid-90s licensed properties now, I wouldn’t mind if they did Batman Forever next.

2 Likes

Giving MOCs Theme songs is cringe.

3 Likes

:frowning_face:

1 Like

Do you disagree