Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

CCBS constraction would be alive and well if Lego had gotten their hands on the Barbie IP

Idk if that’s an unpopular opinion or a hot hot take but I sure did say it

4 Likes

Or maybe they could have done Lego Friends CCBS? Idk how well it would translate though, I’d suspect they’d have to use fabric or more system to remove the gaps etc. Now that I think of it, a spiritual successor to Scala/Belville would have been pretty cool. Although I’m sure TLG did their research when developing Friends as a minifig scale line.

2 Likes

Good point on the Friends IP. Hey, they made fabrics for Scala, and it would have been a good competitor for dolls in general

Oh I’m sure you’re right. Still, those SW CCBS heads make me feel like it would have adapted well, and maybe Friends fans would love a doll-scale version of their favorite character. Lord knows we Bionicle nerds say the words “Bionicle minifig” often enough

2 Likes

another stab at marvel could’ve kept CCBS alive, honestly.

4 Likes

utterly based

6 Likes

Now, this is going to be an interesting one:

IMO, the 2016 Toa Uniter sets were neither better nor worse than the Masters.

Although, I agree with others that in terms of look and appearance, the Masters were much more streamlined and consistent in their design aesthetic.
But at the same time, the Uniters’ designs more closely reflected the G1 style in detail.

The build quality of the masters wasn’t bad (on the contrary!), but the whole “Backpack” solution with their gearboxes detracted a lot from their looks for me.
In contrast: The waist-swiveling gimmick of the Uniters, while aesthetically better looking, pushing the feature down to the hip area resulted in a much more squished upper body, which was not the best. (Yes, it was done that way to give the Elemental creatures enough space to be attached to the backs of the Toas with the whole uniting feature, I know, but still.)

Not to mention that they made two very over-specialized and otherwise almost useless molds just for the waist rotation.

I mean, why not use this already existing turntable element to solve the gimmick instead:

That would have saved some money and materials for something more useful for Moc-ing, IMO.

To sum up, both set waves were fantastic, with many great features and attributes.
But even then, both suffered from quality problems of this and similar kinds, which is why they are on the same level for me.

8 Likes

Because that piece has no friction.

3 Likes

It has friction, just on the other side if you look closely:
Turn-table

An example:

3 Likes

that’s not what I meant by friction

The turntable is completely loose, not to mention how problematic it’d be to try and fit hip joints on there

4 Likes

I misunderstood you, sorry!

Well, as far back as I can remember, the last time I held one of the Uniter’s in my hand, it didn’t have a very tight waist connection either.

As for the hip joints fitting in there:
They could have created a new element similar in shape to the 3x3 T-shaped technic beam with only two ball joints sticking out of the bottom.

Like this:
Hip-part

9 Likes

This actually might not be a problem. Arm swinging functions need friction so that the arms can stay fixed in any position. A horizontal waist function, however, doesn’t need as much friction because it won’t always need to fight against gravity.

spongebob-ice

7 Likes

So kinda like a vahki waist but…More?

5 Likes

If Umbra had a specialized mask like Axonn and Brutaka he wouldn’t have been so bad

7 Likes

I’ve seen mocs of him with a custom ruru and Olavu and that’s good enough evidence

3 Likes

Bionicle had way too many “insane” villains.
Seriously, ever noticed how many “insane” bionicle villains there were? Mutran? Insane. Vezon? Insane. Velika? Cursed GB? Prototype? Telluris? All insane. Was that the only attribute the writers could think of to make villains more scary?
And what’s more, the ones i listed aren’t even the only insane ones.

Aside from Terrence, i don’t think there were any “sane” bionicle villains.

7 Likes

Actually, I don’t think Telluris was insane. More like depressed and angry. Most of the stuff he did was in revenge for the death of the Iron Tribe, including building his tank/mech vehicle.

3 Likes

would argue Teridax was sane tbh

5 Likes

I wasn’t implying he was insane, i was saying there were no other sane villains like him.

3 Likes

The Barraki aren’t insane. They just want to take over the world. Just like all dictators.

6 Likes

the only other sane bionicle villain is tuma

and man was he done dirty

the books and comics portrayed him as a brutal military commander tasked with the gravity of ensuring the survival of what remains of his people, knowing full well there’s no way to grow his numbers, and then the movie turns him into a babbling idiot just for mata nui to brush aside like the inconvenience he is

wish we could’ve seen more of the real tuma

15 Likes