Update About the Downtimes

Slams fists on table

Dang it Kahi!

I will make that a thing, eventually.

Just start saying “dangit Kahi” whenever something goes bad. Like, you spill your coffee on your laptop. “Dangit Kahi!” Or you stub your toe on the door. “Dangit Kahi!”

*btw Kahi I think you’re great pls don’t ban me

We just averted a site crash! Woohoo!
Ah crud, jinxed it.

Downtime just now. Boo.

TTV 0/10

Sorry, that was in poor taste. :confused:

Uh, but yeah, that was a thing that happened. Short one though.

I legit tweeted #DangitKahi XD

1 Like

Good news is: I figured out the problem. Bad news is: it’s only kind of fixed and I won’t know how much it’s fixed until then.

So basically, it’s an internal memory issue. You know how like you leave your computer on for too long and then it starts to run really slow? Same basic principle, except obviously we want our server to be running 24/7. All the activity here makes the server runs slow until it just becomes unresponsive (hence the “Internal Service Error” that you get while trying to post).

I allocated some swap space, which is kind of like memory that the server segregates so that it can write to it instead of having it being “active” all the time. However, I wasn’t sure how much of it to use. I’ll have to end up tweaking it only after it goes down, so basically every space between downtimes should be longer, but I won’t know how long until it actually, you know, goes down.

The other solution is to get more memory for the forums, but that costs money and we don’t have quite a lot of that at the moment.

4 Likes

Well, at least you figured out the problem! And knowing is half the battle! (G.I. Joe…)

1 Like

Friendly notice that in about half an hour I’m going to upgrade the boards. Just be warned that it’s going to be going down for maybe ten to fifteen minutes. More upgrades and that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Thanks for the notice!

1 Like