Vardas, Toa of Gravity (G1 MOC)

Yep. It fits surprisingly snugly. I just wanted to bulk up the Metru foot, though they kinda look like horse riding spurs.

1 Like

Hmmm… for the legs what I would personally do is shorten the bases and lengthen the tops but that is just me. I mean that they are fine in size next to the set, but the upper leg is very small in comparison to the lower leg.

1 Like

That’s a great use of system parts on a very well designed modification of the Metru body style. It looks great to me. The color scheme fits together perfectly, with very few build flaws. The only things I would recommend are;

Change the mask, like @Risebell said. That mask is too representative of Vakama, especially on that build.

Add a little bit of black armoring to the front of the shins. I see you did some on the back, but the front could use a little.

Lastly, you were talking about trying to beef up the Metru foot. I found myself needing to do that once and built this design, effectively turning the foot into a boot;

1 Like

Could always try using one of the 12 or so black masks from '01, those could fit in there nicely.

I’m not sure why, but I think a black noble Matatu would look pretty good (and goes well with the gravity theme). It’s a misprint though…

Yeah, I suppose so. Unfortunately, I can’t think of any lower-limb pieces that are much shorter.

Good idea. How do you suggest I do it?

That looks great, though I seems a tad oversized for a Metru-build.

Definitely. I wish I had some. :stuck_out_tongue:

Neat idea. Since when do black Matatus exist?

Bricklink perhaps? Try these results.

I’ll probably get around making another order soon(ish).

Dang those Matatus are expensive! :open_mouth:

1 Like

In 01 some mask packs had Rurus and Matatus in Toa colours instead of Turaga colours. Today they are some of the most common misprints.
I’ve had a mata red Matatu for 14 years now and just recently learned about it.
You can find black Matatus on Bricklink, but with a price of about 10$ each, they are pretty expensive…

2 Likes

Fascinating. I’ll keep this in mind. :smiley:

1 Like

Not sure if you ever thought of doing something like this for posing arms:

That being dropping the gear system entirely and instead using balljoints to allow the arms to have more articulation.

(Image and idea stolen from canister wasteland 2)

2 Likes

Dang, that might actually work!

1 Like

it can actually work with the gears still in the chest simply by swapping the white axle with a friction pin, and can hold up a fair amount of weight.

To be honest, I never owned a Toa Metru sadly. So I never had a chance to try any of that out.

aww, it’s the best toa build though, well after adding shoulders it is.

2 Likes

glances at Arxtann It does :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

glances at revamped Vardas … meh, I’m not a huge fan. There’s not nearly enough friction in the shoulders to support the weight. And the upper arms are absurdly disproportionate.

1 Like

This would be one option for armoring the shins like you asked;

As for the boots, they can look a little big on a standard leg, but after adding a little bulk to the legs with some armor they look more proportionate. In any case, they’re worth trying to see if you like them, and if you don’t you can just take them right back off.

[quote=“Jowm, post:38, topic:5273”]
This would be one option for armoring the shins like you asked;
[/quote]Throwback to the old titan sets.

1 Like

I know. It’s a pretty effective method of armoring though. @Chro