What are your favourite and least favourite art mediums?

Definitely not LEGO sculpture. :blush:

1 Like

see that artwork evokes certain imagery for me - a carnival or circus. The red and white stripes remind me of popcorn containers, or maybe carnival workers with blue hats. The red rectangle and blue around and yellow below looks like a path into a large tent.

Idk maybe I’m just weird.

Nothing to refute my point. Just because I understand that someone might mock me or my artwork because they don’t like it doesn’t make it the kind thing to do.

I had a very similar vibe: a clown barfing all over a canvas.

2 Likes

Making fun of something is literally an opinion.

3 Likes

Actions aren’t opinions last time I checked. When something is made fun of it’s either because the person is of the opinion that the art is bad, or as an attack on the artist. Making fun of it is just an extension of that opinion meant to offend the artist.

All I have to say is that this is a poor argument.

1 Like

That’s a completely useless statement if you aren’t going to expound.

As for my favorite art mediums:

• Comic Books
  • Most types of realistic art (boroque is one of my favorites) though I do like impressionism and occassionally abstract but some of it that likes to just be striking without a real reason annoys me.
  • Films
  • Classical music, though what music I like tends to just be what my ears enjoy and not just entire genres.

And my least favorite art mediums:

• “”“”“”“video games”“”“”“”" (I will admit some can be artistic but I’m starting to find arguments on the medium itself being art is laughable. Not all movies are art.)
  • Certain types of music which make me wanna destroy my ears (like rap or stuff with annoying screeching like screamer metal.) Lots of pop music annoys me to no end too.

Having an opinion is literally an action.

3 Likes

nuuu it’s an interesting discussion maybe one of the mods can move it to a different topic

also I can’t take that many system PMs

Why don’t we just say “this is good” or “this is bad”? Saying something like "this is good, because it speaks to my inner soul for X, Y, and Z reason, is the same as saying something like “this is bad, because it looks like a clown barfed on it.” All you need to say is wether or not it’s good or bad, but we go into more detail for various reasons.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. Just don’t go “This is bad, hahahaha you suuuuuck I could do this with my eyes closed! Did your dog do this for you or something lollololol”

Flashbacks to Nostalgia Critic’s The Wall

Well I never said any of that in the first place.

1 Like

Maybe I interpreted this wrong but I took it as “I make fun of abstract art”.

No, you took it as me saying something like

1 Like

This is making fun of something, if an exaggeration in some cases.

“this is bad, because it looks like a clown barfed on it." isn’t making fun, it’s expressing an opinion in a derisive way. Significant difference.

Anyone who knows me knows that my favorite medium of art is music.

If we’re sticking with visual art, I really enjoy digitally manipulating photographs. After that, just a good pencil and paper.

I don’t think I have a least favorite, but I’m not that good with most paints.

2 Likes

Ugh I have a headache now.

No this is me making fun of it. And is also an opinion. I’m saying it looks bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

One can use humor or mean spiritedness to give criticism. As long as it is constructive. I would stop assuming bad faith from Krelikaan, we all have different ways of expressing ourselves.

2 Likes

It’s not making fun of it - it’s expressing your opinion in a derisive way. The opinion you are expressing is that you think the art is bad.

which making fun of something is not.

The minute you give a reason, valid or not, that something is bad, you’re no longer making fun of it - you’re giving critique; provided that that reason is given as a legitimate opinion and not just a way to offend the artist.

When Krelikan said “I make fun of abstract art” I interpreted that as “I mock, ridicule, and defame the abstract art without giving any actual critique.”

I literally told you, my quote you repeated was me making fun of the art. Why are you removing the context of what I said? Am I not allowed to say what I mean? Very rude.

Yeah it can be. Tough love is a very helpful and constructive way to get a point across.

Comedy can have reason and thought-out jokes you know, as well as nuance. In fact, one could even argue comedy in itself is an artform.

Well then listen to what he’s saying instead of putting words into his mouth like you did with me. It’s quite rude.

2 Likes