What is Your Favorite, Non-Canon Mask Power?

My favorite fanon mask power is switching the Kaukau from the “mask of water breathing” to the “mask of breathing.” Better Name PendingTM This would change the power to allowing the user to breath normally in any environment - high altitudes, toxic fumes, even in the void of space. It would change the mask from being so specialized it’s basically useless to having a nice niche utility role.

Plus the Kaukau is my favorite mask shape and I wish it wasn’t objectively one of the worst masks. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Mine is the Kanohi Huanga, Created by Nickonplanetripple. The Power to become your element is really creative, I actually gave this mask to one of my Characters! Some fun uses are Toas of Air and/or Water using this power to slip through vents and cracks, or a Toa of Fire becoming a Literal Toa of Fire.

5 Likes

The difference between those (though I don’t love the mohtrek, admittedly) and the hypothetical mask of disintegration is that those have unique powers that can be used in a variety of ways; they are only immoral due to their usage by Brotherhood of Makuta members—I wouldn’t say they are inherently immoral, such as the Avsa or Mask of Shadows. The crast can be theoretically used in a number of interesting scenarios, as can the Felnas, which has a power basically dependant on the power of the opponent. Makes for interesting scenarios and unique fights; the mask of disintegration doesn’t do that, it’s just an instant killstroke. There aren’t very many ways to make it an interesting addition to a fight—but that’s just my personal taste of course, and I respect the position of those who might disagree.

1 Like

Perhaps the mask of disintegration wouldn’t be able to disintegrate living things (or anything attached to them, like armor, or masks). I think it could still be useful. For example, it could be used to destroy walls, or incoming projectiles.

2 Likes

I actually had a similar idea for a mask although under the guise of a mask of shattering. To limit its destructive capabilities, I gave it a delay function, like the mask of emulation, where the user has to focus on the target unobstructed for a small amount of time, which would be dependent on the size and material of said target. Although, it would still be cool if it allowed for the user to launch bolts of destructive energy.

2 Likes

the kanohi poofafoofis. It lets you poof away to somewhere where your enemy cant see you.

1 Like

Here’s another idea: The mask of cloning. This mask would allow the user to create several clones of themself. For every clone that is made, they get weaker (For example, if someone made one clone, they would both be 1/2 as strong)

I could see this mask being very useful in several different scenarios.

EDIT 1: Here’s an idea: The mask of navigation. Basically, this mask would work like an internal compass. Users of this mask would be able to see their exact location in the world. They always know which direction a place is, as long as they themselves have been in there before.

4 Likes

Ooo, yeah, Red Star Gaming actually came up with a name and shape for something like this: the Kanohi Mohtri, Mask of Duplication. It’s a cool power, and a common enough one I’m surprised we didn’t see it in canon.

4 Likes

I’m kind of partial to a Mask of Duplication myself, but not in this same sense. It is actually the source for my username- the Kanohi Cantri, mask of duplication. Although, instead of cloning themselves (which a mask of cloning would be a much better name for it, in my opinion) this mask allows its user to make a copy of any object they see, given some source of materials provided. I do have a picture of it, but I lost it when moving. While I could redraw it, I’m keeping my profile picture blank for now as I want to respect my original fan-mask, as it was the first one that I created way back when Bionicle was still in its original run.

4 Likes

Isn’t that just the scope on an Akaku?

@Cordax

Kualsi

@Eilrach

You could argue that this could be achieved with a Calix.

@Atobe_Brick

Alright, that’s enough of shutting down everyone else’s ideas, let me provide one of my own for you to shut down.

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about all the different combinations on Kanoka, when I realized that Toa Disks could also be included.

As shown with the canon combinations, a mask does not simply possess all of the individual powers of the Kanoka, instead being a single new power. So combining a Toa Disk with a Kanoka would create an new elemental power. Of course, for this to be useful, it would have to be a power that the Toa Disk alone would not give you, or else the combination is pointless.

For example, Stone + Reconstitutes at Random could give you a mask which allows you to turn any objects into stone. Which, I might add, is an ability that not even Toa of Stone possess.

Or Water + Removes Poison could be unlimited water breathing.

Water + Ice gives increased elemental control over both.

Psionics + Reconstitutes at Random creates a mind-erasure Kanohi.

Toa Disk + Shrink + Regeneration gives the wearer the ability to perform Nuva-style timed attacks of the element in the mask.

Gravity + Regeneration gives Density Control.

1 Like

I suppose so. The mask of farsight would probably allow the user to see further than the scope, though.

1 Like

I’d probably have to say the Kanohi Fanodu: Mask of Deposition (now available on Shapeways.com);— Allows user to walk on air:

My second favorite would probably be the Kanohi Houhara: Mask of Ensnaring (Basically, it would be the Bionicle equivalent of web-shooters):

3 Likes

The Fanadu kind of looks like a noble version of the kaukau, in my opinion.

Also, I don’t really get why it’s called the mask of “deposition.”

2 Likes

So basically Bitil’s mask, but like, it makes sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Alright a little selfish for me to put my own mask in but here goes.

The mask of prophecy/Kanohi saeleht.

Basically someone /nuhrii, (why make a mask of time if you don’t know what the future holds.) fused a mask of probability and a mask of clairvoyance together and removed the downsides but in turn created a very limited amount of foresight. About 36 seconds. Though this can be increased to seeing several hours maybe even years into the future but in turn the mask has to cool down for equal amount of time reducing its effectiveness to 12 seconds.

2 Likes

An idea: the Mask of Poison. Its power would allow the wearer to create a cloud of poison (to which wearer would be immune) that would fill the air around him. It would be very effective in close combat.

Another idea: the Mask of Possession. This mask would have the appearance of any other existing Kanohi, but would preserve the spirit/AI of the wearer upon their death. They could then possess any being that wears the mask afterwards.

3 Likes

I like this idea, though it seems like it would be more of a secret experimental mask made with special/unique methods, rather than a common widespread Kanohi.

Also, on an unrelated note, seeing my old post reminded me of another possible mask power:

Perhaps combing Toa Disks of Ice and Fire would give you, essentially, a Mask of Heat Flow; it would allow you to both absorb and release heat, just as Toa of Ice and Fire, respectively, can do separately, and it could perhaps also grant small amounts of Elemental control of both Elements (though you likely couldn’t actually create either one, just control them).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Tahu has been shown absorbing heat before, so there’s already a bit of crossover between the separate Elements. I suppose I could just say that the Mask of Heat Flow gives increased control in both directions compared to either Element, and makes it easier.

2 Likes

I actually made it in my unreleased D&D mod, since I have a Makuta who I planned to have killed by Teridax, but his mask survives and allows him to possess Akhmou. Akhmou then leads an army against the players, using the powers granted him by the Makuta to attempt a takeover of Bara Magna.

mask of enthalpy

I’m sitting outside my chemistry class rn I couldn’t help myself

3 Likes

Yeah, I figure there could be a better name; I was thinking Thermodynamics myself, though that may be a bit long.

Of course, names don’t always have to be super specific (for example, the Calix being the “Mask of Fate”), so perhaps just “Mask of Heat” would work.

2 Likes