What was your favorite year for Bionicle?

My favorite year would be either 2004 or 2006.

04 because it was the year that got me into bionicle. I felt it had the best story, and characters, and Legends of Metru Nui is my favorite of the movies.

06 on the other hand, had the best sets, and got me hooked to bionicle. I got all the toa inika, the piraka, and the titans! Axon could be my favorite character in terms of design!

Yeah, the Vahki were the only weakness of 2004, I felt they were the definition of clone sets. You only needed to really buy one. The toa metru, and the titans, specifically lhikan and nidhiki, were great sets. I wish I had been into bionicle back then to get them…(I only have Vakama).

I recently was able to grab the last two Metru I needed (although I stil need Norik and Lhikan to get all the Toa who use the Metru system) and now have them proudly displayed on my shelf with Krekka and an empty spot for Nidhiki.

5 Likes

06 because that’s when I got my first ones and 03, because,face it, the mask of light was the thing to have lol

Hmm… 2004 had the best Toa sets, 2005 had the best titans, and 2006 had the best story. But 2001 was just awesome. So I guess I don’t have one single favorite year, as there were multiple years that all had something good.

You realise it’s a joke from MakutaFest 2013, right? Anyway, glatorian aren’t completely biological, else they wouldn’t have metal. Their species was originally biological but enhanced themselves to be biomechanical.

i always loved 2006 because of the dark tone it had.
unfortunetly, i think 2004-2010 were not as alive as 2001-2003.
with 2006 they had a new (very interesting) island. BUT IT NEEDED RAHI!
of course you can just use some of the old ones but that’s just not the same.
they should have made the voya nui thingy lasting for two years. one focusing
mainly on surviving on the island, and the other focusing on inika/piraka battles.

so, i think i’m gonna go for 2001 since it felt most alive of all years.
maybe 2002 is my 2nd-most-favourite. 2009 and 2010 are me least favourite.

that was the same like me. 2004 was the year i started in, but 2006 was the best for me.

My favourite year is 2007. Mostly because I find the dark and gritty tone to be more engaging personally (although 2001 is high up there among my favourite years). Also Matoro’s sacrifice is pretty powerful stuff IMO.

You found 07 darker and grittier then 06?

I know that I consider them to be pretty much equal in terms of grit, but I like 2007 more because of A) Gadunka B) Epic self-sacrificing hero C) The Barraki were just cool man D) The titans were also very well done and E) It was the first year I really got into the story. I knew 2006’s basic story, but I didn’t really care until 2007.

1 Like

I like the story building and colorful, innocent vibe of 2001-2003, and the MNOG soundtrack is still one of my favorite things to listen to, but my favorite year is 2007. The Toa Mahri were the first toa team that wasn’t just a line of clone or near-clone sets; there was more to differentiate them than just a different color, mask, and weapon. Jaller had his crab, Hahli had wings, and Hewkii had one of the most awesome looking Kanohi in the whole saga. The Barraki were intriguing and diverse villains, both in build and in character, and the story was a lot more complex than the usual “heroes arrive, heroes battle villains, heroes win” formula that had been a yearly cycle up until that point. The Toa didn’t beat the Barraki, they escaped from them thanks to Matoro’s sacrifice; one of the most touching moments in the entire franchise. Also, 2007 had some great titan sets to go along with it; the awesome Nocturn, unique Gadunka, Makuta in disguise as the Maxilos robot, and a cool side-story with Lesovikk, Sarda, Idris, and Karzahni.

I thought that 07 was slightly darker personally; although I can see where you’re coming from with 06.

Quite frankly I have no Idea I like the “golden years” but the rest had their pros too.

1 Like

Personally, I have to say that 2004 was my favorite year for BIONICLE both set wise and story wise. The year brought us Toa with an ideal balance between possibility, and playability within the fluent gear function/duel featured weapons. Not to mention that they also looked aesthetically pleasing, what with their unique weapons, masks and overall design. The Vahki had some very cool gimmicks, though the Titans were probably one of the major highlights from this year (aside from the Toa Metru), offering innovative and unique builds that really make them stand out amongst the other Titans released prior and in the future (somewhat). The story was intriguing as well, offering a very emotional journey of 6 Matoran struggling to fight against the anonymous force that was destroying their culture, with the little time that was available. The characters had very unique and differing personalities from the norm. So overall, 2004 was a very solid year from my perspective.

1 Like

My favorite year was 2007.

Mostly because of the underwater theme, which I just really liked for some reason.
I also really liked the overall story of that year.

oooh, what to choose? hmmm…id say a tie between 2004 and 2006 and let me give my resaons.

2004: the year I leaped headfirst into Bionicle and never looked back, my first set was Vakama and considering my parents were new to this bionicle thing I didn’t start the trend of getting every Toa for each specific wave (discluding titans) until 2005 but I really loved 2004 because as a child I said something wrong and actually made my only friend hate me, it made me feel worthless and unworthy to be even contributing to anything kind of like how Vakama at first didn’t feel worthy to lead a team of Toa due to sending his own role model, Lhikan, to be imprisoned by the dark hunters. the amount of mystery that was in Bionicle also hit me like a metro train at high speed since my first issue of bionicle I got was #24, Nightmare, (a.k.a the comic where most of the events happening are inside Vakamas head due to his gift for visions and receiving a vision of what the future lie in store for him and his friends or a.k.a the hordika) it didn’t just touch me on a creative and awesomeness level but also on a personal level which is why Vakama is my favorite Toa to this day!

2006: I really liked 2006 mostly because I got a HUGE headstart on it in that i got all the matoran for that year at about nov. 2005 and I remember looking at the back of the instruction booklets and seeing ALL the Piraka clearly, I even thought THEY were the new Toa! being in that sense of questioning, doubting and wondering why everything is happening like it is really made me feel like I was on voya nui with the villagers and when I found out through the comics that the piraka were anything but Toa it rocked my world the same way as it did for the other matoran on voya nui. then there were the ACTUAL Toa and oh my gosh they were so awesome! though I lamented that brown was not a main color anymore I loved the new head and mask designs, the awesome electric swords, and the actual ammo firing blasters just screamed all the right cords in my 9 year old eyes! plus with me maturing more as a person and the change of seriousness in tone of the story really hit home for me!

anyways im sorry if I typed a bit too much here I just wanted to say all that I had to say and im a new member here, have a good day/night/time everyone

1 Like

My favourite were the Inika/Mahri. A really drastic departure from before with a really good story. Loved Voya Nui and Mahri Nui (Bionicle Atlantis!) as well as the whole underwater vibe it had going on.

@SuperAwesomeSauce,
Awesome story man! BTW, I recommend trying to use proper punctuation more. It really helps make your posts more readable.

The Mahri years by a long shot. Not only was it my favorite, but it also happens to be the one that really screams “BIONICLE” despite the fact that I entered the fandom way back then in 2001. It’s hard to explain, but I just feel that it’s BIONICLE’s finest year. The commercials were great, the sets used a fairly fresh and new build in creative and unique ways, it had some of the best music LEGO got for BIONICLE, and the storyline was absolutely incredible. 24 hours to save the universe, Matoro’s sacrifice, etc.

3 Likes