What would it take to destroy Marendar?

I think, even more than Agori, Marendar’s development would be driven by interactions with the Toa themselves. It was made to protect the Agori from the “evil Toa”, but that mindset would soon be contradicted by the reality of the Toa that Marendar meets.

Of course, it would be complicated by the fact that there probably are some evil Toa out there. For example, what if Tuyet tries to build a Toa Empire in the prime universe? That’s pretty much the perfect example of what Marendar was built to prevent.

In my own little “theory/headcanon” continuation, that’s basically exactly what happens; Marendar kills some Toa, but begins questions its motive after seeing selfless acts of heroism from the Toa. Some of the Toa would then further convince Marendar that the Toa aren’t what the Great Beings expected, but then Marendar feels betrayed once Tuyet starts to do exactly what it was told they wouldn’t do.

5 Likes

Back in 2015 I wrote a fan fic where Marendar saw toa save a agori from a rockslide. Selffless act.

This made Marendar realise his mission is flawed but his programming prevented him from stopping. He admitted as much to Toa when they momentarily captured him before his programming forced him to struggle and free him. This naturally does not match the info we now have about the character.

I like my Tuyet vs Marendar where Tuyet destroys a lot of land which confirms to Marendar how Toa are dangerous and proves to audience how even strongest Toa was relatively weak against him.

Although starting to trust and being betrayed is fine too. As long as he doesn’t do the “death equals redemption” cliche. And indeed kills Tuyet

Tuyet simply needs to go. She is the worst XD. Only good thing bringing her back is to enjoy her losing a second time XD

3 Likes

Apart from turning it good, I’d imagine
Attacking it indirectly might be the best way to fight it. I think it would have been cool if it’s only way of fighting was by repelling elemental power. Which could result in a cool fight where the toa have to abandon the use of their power and fight using only their physical strength, masks and smarts.

4 Likes

That would make Takanuva have the least damaging mask power, although I assume Marendar would just ignore holograms, right? Just imagine Pohatu kicking Marendar in the shins like a little kid…. They could potentially shoot him to death with Cordak blasters, since they’re literally just repeating bazookas. Or they could form a Toa Nui while all wearing Pakaris, making the result basically The Hulk.

1 Like

okay I have changed my mind. An angry Driller full of Stone Crusher Ale or Slayer Stout would be enough to obliderate the Salvation

1 Like

I’m now picturing a toa Nui suplexing the thing

2 Likes

Also, would Marendar know that Matoran can become Toa? Because some Matoran, like Takua, probably helped build him.

1 Like

My headcanon is that Marendar is ticklish and that’s how he is defeated.

3 Likes

Yeah, let’s challenge our heroes a little

What if marendar is indeed unable to see holograms made by Takanuva since it recognises them as elemental attacks and they do not arrive to his eyes? then Takanuva could send messages to his team mates witohut marendar knowing

(edit: that wouldn’t work since Marendar would not be able to see any light attacks then. So I would say he can be fooled by holograms, unless he has thermal vision etc)

In my headcanon Toa Nui Nuva already multiplies the powers of his 6 mask powers by six due to Nuva masks ability to share power with those close by

“We are stronger than the sum of our parts, We are one, I am AkaWai Nuva. and your misguided crusade ends here.”

Marendar slashed with all of his speed and might against the Unity of Toa. As his weapon came down, Toa Nui’s mask glowed and Marendar’s weapon only met an after image and air. Marendar looked around but could only see a blurr of color around him.

Marendar hit the ground to attack all the after images at the same time with an energy shockwave. But as his weapons came down, Toa Nui was in front of him. That was last thing Marendar could register before he realised he was miles in the sky after a Destiny crushing punch hit him harder than anything had hit him before. Marendar tried to collect himself but attack had left him breathless so there was little to do when Toa Nui soared next to him and smashed him towards the ground with even more power.

Marendar cleaved the land as he hit the ground leaving a grove after him.

Also, would Marendar know that Matoran can become Toa? Because some Matoran, like Takua, probably helped build him.

I think it was stated somewhere that Marendar can’t sense the innate toa energy inside Matoran.

Definitely he is aware of how Matoran become Toa and Toa become Turaga. He most likely has a lot of information abou the Toa and Matoran.

But he could not know what GBs didn’t know. Matoran universe created a culture and lot of new inventions, creatures and powers. He can’t know about those.

I believe he does not know about Golden armor, or if he does he does not know what powers Tahu has inside him.

3 Likes

What about using the Exo-Toa as suits of armor for the Toa? They can’t use their elemental powers against Marendar anyways, so it’s a moot point that the suits of armor hamper those powers. And it would definitely be of good use to have extra strength and endurance during this fight.

6 Likes

Or have Jerbraz fight Marendar, since he’s permanently invisible, as well as his weapon. That should work, since it’s not an elemental ability.

2 Likes

While there’s a lot of people who easily could fight and defeat Marendar, narratively speaking it feels like he needs to be defeated by Toa. It’s not as satisfying if “the Toa-killing weapon gets defeated by Makuta Miserix, problem solved”, as it would be if “the Toa Nuva use their brains rather than their powers to defeat the ultimate weapon against Toa, and then Takanuva shows it Toa don’t have to be bad.”

5 Likes

I wonder what level Villain Marendar would have been in the end.

Would he have been beaten by Yesterday Quest team or would he have rivaled the level of TSO and Velika in terms of Story/threat importance.

Main difference being how many of main characters are needed to defeat the threat. Shadowed one and Velika need as many MCs as possible. Marendar too in theory but it could be that his legend grew in our imagination as time passed on. I think he is Omega level Threat but Greg could have thought differently. Food for thought.

3 Likes

My theory is that Marendar is invincible, but its mission is its main fault. It has to murder every Toa because they are a potential menace to the Agori and Glatorian with all their powers. But, what would happen if they all chose to lose or suddenly lost their powers? Let’s say that after knowing Marendar’s existence, there’s a Toa civil war where one side “The Protectors” wants to keep their powers and serves as an excuse for Tuyet and the Order of Mata Nui to build a new Toa Empire to enforce their interpretation of Mata Nui’s virtues upon everyone else; and the other side, “The Uniters”, lead by Takanuva and allied with the Agori and Glagorian, is looking for the technology to cancel their powers. When Toa don’t have powers anymore, they are no longer a threat, making Marendar’s mission pointless. Since Marendar is sentient and thus needs it’s duty to have a reason, I’ll bet that it would surrender and do something else, or simply turn off.

3 Likes

But canceling powers would mean Toa could not work as effectively as heroes any longer. No toa could. This does not sound like a direction I would have liked the story go towards. It would be like all of the Jedi giving up the force.

I do like the Idea of civil war though. There must be other Toa who think like tuyet. Especially when existential threat to them exists in the form of Marendar which Tuyet could use.

But since there are only a handfull of Toa left when compared to 400 at their peak so it would not be a large civil toa civil war unless other forces joined up

4 Likes

Well, the Bota Magna Vorox have equipment that stops their abilities from working. See Yesterday Quest.

3 Likes

Premise was to give up their powers willingly for good.

Momentarily masking them with the machines could work.

2 Likes