What would you do for G3?

I tried once to do a project like this over on lego world builder but didn’t really have the means to execute my idea, but I had an idea for multiple years of a hypothetical g3 that would basically start by reworking year one of Bionicle g1 and then take the story in new directions with new symbolism to the storytelling. One idea I had was for a karzhani centered story where the toa have to travel to his island and face their fears and at one point face off mirror versions of themselves.

8 Likes

Honestly, I hope we go back to G1 and have a time jump on Spherus Magna. That way new fans can join into the same universe but have new stories with new characters but still keep the old ones so old fans (like myself) can still be connected and aware of the old ancient mythology.

For example; I’d love for The Shadowed One to be the main antagonist of a new story set in the future with a new cast of characters to go against him but we don’t know it’s our classic TSO until a later time in the run. Like Greg said, he believed the story could have gone on for decades. He’s still absolutely correct.

4 Likes

INTRODUCTION

I have been thinking about how would I do a G3, and this is what I came up with.

In my opinion, to be remembered, a G3 should have a good story. Given that the line could end prematurely, the story should be segmented, so that each year has a satisfiing ending. To survive, the line should not only cater to old fans but also make new ones. Thus, marketing the line is important.

Sets would be constraction, likely using the new SCCBS. There would be five elements, omitting the Stone. Making character groups smaller makes adding extra characters easier, brown does not sell well, and I need Kopaka due to character dynamics.

Storytelling would likely be done through an animated series. Story should not be a full blown comedy, but instead balance comic relief moments with mostly serious narrative. Story itself would involve amnesiac Toa learning how to do the Toa thing and how to work together to stop Makuta. Turaga would act as mentors, helping Toa on their journey. If the line is somehow sucessful enough to warrant second story arc, it would be set in past and be about Turaga’s adventures as previous Toa Team.

STORY

Premise

Origi Nui is an island paradise, place where Tamata could live in prosperity, if it was not haunted by Makuta’s darkness. Manas, mythical animalistic monsters of varied form, menace the villagers, dragging their victims into Makuta’s domain.

Turaga, the wise elders of Tamata, tell tales of the Toa, five heroes who will come to save the island and its inhabitants from Makuta’s evil. Tahu, Toa of Fire, Kopaka, Toa of Ice, Lewa, Toa of Air, Gali, Toa of Water, and Onua, Toa of Earth. And indeed, the Toa come, but to Turagas’ dismay, they seem to have forgotten all their memories and experiences. Thus, Turaga attempt to prepare Toa for their great quest. But the island holds many secrets, and Toa will encounter revelations that will shake them to core.

Note on Elements

In-Universe reason for the main elements being what they are that they represent important physical concepts. It should be noted that elements reach beyond these concepts and are not identical to them.
Fire represents Heat (Chaotic movement of particles)
Ice represents Cold (Its absence, stasis of particles)
Air represents Gases (State of matter where particles move freely)
Water represents Liquids (State of matter where particles’ movement is constrained)
Earth represents Solids (State of matter where particles are fixed)

Year One Sets

Winter Wave

• Five Toa

• Five Turaga

• Five Manas

Summer Wave

• Vahki

• Kaabuk the Boogeyman

• Mana-Ko and Magistrate Dume

• Bohrok Va the Swarm Herald

Year One Story

Toa arrive to the island, lacking their memories. Turaga tell them of their quest. Makuta uses Kanohi Olmak, the Golden Mask of Dimensional Gates, to summon the Manas to and from his realm. Disabling the Manas is not enough, the mask needs to be found and freed from Makuta’s grasp. Kanohi Olmak is located within the Ancient City, which was last inhabited in the Time-Before-Time.

But the city is surrounded by a deep abyss, and thus cannot be accessed. Even those able to fly are unable to cross the abyss. Five golden masks are needed to cross the abyss, and these are hidden across the island.

Toa are to first solve the Manas infestation and defend the villagers from these terrible monsters, and then, collect the Golden Masks. These will allow them to go to the Ancient City, and retrieve Kanohi Olmak.

Toa learn how to be Toa and how to work together. They fight and disable the Manas, and eventualy manage to collect the Golden Masks. Using those, Toa create a rainbow bridge, and cross it to arrive to the Ancient City. They find not only plentiful Manas, but also strange machine guardians, the Vahki. These react with hostility, but do not seem directly connected with Makuta.

In depths of the city, Coliseum stands. There, Toa face Kaabuk, the wearer of Kanohi Olmak. Toa face ilusions of their worst fears, and, after first falling to despair, manage preserve. They defeat Kaabuk in spite of their fears and purify Kanohi Olmak with their Golden Masks. Then, a spirit appears. The spirit says he is Dume, the Magistrate of the city, and that he has a vital information. He leads Toa to his body, which is guarded by Mana-Ko, the strongest of Manas. Toa fight and disable Mana-Ko, and wake Dume. He then reveals a truth that makes Toa shiver.

Year One Relevation

Olmak was not only mask on the island that was corrupted by Makuta. All of the masks Tamata wear have been contaminated by Makuta’s darkness. Makuta wants to keep Tamata living in fear of Manas for a reason: he eats that fear, growing stronger and stronger over the centuries. But all is not lost. If Toa purify the masks, Makuta will be cut off his food supply, and even if Manas return, Makuta’s evil plan will be foiled.

Toa head to their regions, tell Turaga what they learned and decontaminate the masks. As Toa head to the Ancient City to announce their victory, they see a small insectoid being flying overhead. Then, they hear a strange voice in their heads saying same thing they heard when they arrived to the island. But this time, the voice is different, sinister and almost reptillian.

“Awaken, it is time.”

(If anyone has questions, they are free to ask. I do not have the whole story figured out, but some reveals are already prepared, so if someone is curious, I can explain a few things.)

1 Like

oooh that sounds really cool

1 Like

I would like bionicle G3 if it had interesting sets. Get back to technical aesthetics and for the love of Mata Nui don’t give us the embarrassing over anthropomorphized fan version of bionicle. Tahu doesn’t have Superman pectorals. Yeah I know my fan moc does, but it’s overdone at this point and it would look too much like Iron Man.

4 Likes

i already mapped my vision all out :slight_smile: My Bionicle reboot outline - Creative Content / Literature - The TTV Message Boards (ttvchannel.com)

Seconded to this!
If G3 may ever become a reality, (Slim chance, but there’s still one IMO.) it definitely should retain to some extent the strange, “old-school” look of the early sets with using modern parts & building technics.

I also would prefer the sets to being more technic reliant in their builds, rather than being made completely out of system pieces. They should use a hybrid system, which combines Technic with System.

The way I imagine it: The basic structure of the figures are mostly made out of modified technic lift-arms & beams, which would be covered by armor-plate looking technic panels which also has studs on them, and regular System slopes, tiles, etc. would go onto the top of those, as extra decorations & details.

5 Likes

I have been thinking how I would do BIONICLE G3. (I still think my previous proposal, one with Origi Nui, wasn’t bad, but it was focused almost solely about the story, and since then, I changed my opinion about viability of a BIONICLE reboot. If someone has questions about the world of Origi-Nui, they are free to ask.) I think that a succesful reboot of BIONICLE is possible if done correctly.

IMO if you want a sucessful BIONICLE reboot, it should focus on gaining new fans. Old fans can help the theme on its way to success, they cannot carry it alone. Reason why LEGO should do BIONICLE reboot is not because nostalgia alone will carry the theme, it is that BIONICLE was able to attract massive amount of fans in first place, and it can do so again, helped by nostalgia and other factors. Concept of BIONICLE can clearly be massively succesful. But in order to be succesful at all, it needs to be correctly marketed and executed.

Now for when BIONICLE should return. I think BIONICLE G3 should follow eventual end of NINJAGO, and temporaly replace it as main original LEGO theme. NINJAGO (G1) should end when it begins run out of steam and not continue past that point, so it can be more easily revived in future. BIONICLE and NINJAGO are similar enough (certainly much more than BIONICLE and HERO FACTORY) that NINJAGO fans would be IMO another demographic to add to old BIONICLE fans and new BIONICLE fans. After BIONICLE reboot ends, NINJAGO G2 should start.

In order to be succesful again, BIONICLE should be focus of LEGO’s marketing. If people do not know BIONICLE reboot exists, they will not buy it. Do not waste money on making masks from actual real-life gold. Story also needs to be good. I would do a TV show focused on adventures of amnesiac Toa taught by wise Turaga, while MNOG-like free episodic game from eyes of a Matoran(-equivalent) builds the world further. Seeing the world from two angles could be interesting. Sets would be system, some standard to attract fans of Ninjago, and some SCCBS(Chima also had this mix of system and constraction).

In regards to terminology, I would name it BIONICLE:(insert subtitle here), like NINJAGO:Masters of Spinjitsu. Full name would be used when apropriate, and to distinguish it from G1, while distancing itself from G2. Instead of using titles instead of names like G2, BIONICLE reboot would return to using proper names. Important terms and names like Toa, Makuta and such would return. When making up new names, I would use a English, Latin, Sanskirt, or even Proto-Indo Europan (depending of how obscure the etymology is supposed to be) word as root, and from it derive something that sounds recognisibly BIONICLE.

(Mukau is an excelent example of the BIONICLE-sounding thing, it sounds very BIONICLE despite merely being english phrase spellt differently.)

As for what makes BIONICLE recognisably BIONICLE, I think the G3 should have at least those things, if not more:
Mix of Fantasy and Sci-Fi, artificial and natural, ancient and modern.
Island setting and lots of mystery.
Masks and mask powers.
Elemental powers and theming.
Characters being (semi-)robots
Unique terminology
Elemental heroes fighting against forces of evil
Story with twists and reveals
Some references to G1

(This will likely be expanded)

4 Likes

ooh that sounds good

1 Like

_pohaturon made an awesome tahu revamp recently that utilizes the joint pieces from the EVO Ninjago sets. Maybe this can be the standard for other sets.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb7WHR-N0_d/?utm_medium=share_sheet

2 Likes

Eh, not a fan of the locked arms but the legs look good with the new shell piece. It’s interesting how the locked arm piece works better for torsos than its intended use. I can see lego using them as shoulder frames like in the Makuta 2003 set.

4 Likes

I think a gen3 of Bionicle would work much better as a series of System mech-style sets with an associated Card game of sorts.

3 Likes

I like the card game part of your idea!
It worked pretty well for the first couple of waves of Ninjago.
Though I’m not entirely sure it would click with today’s kids, who knows?
As for the figures, I wouldn’t like the sets as the standard mech-styled system figures.
As I’ve already mentioned in her & other topics, I would vastly prefer them to be something in vein with the og. Technic constraction sets, like the Toa Mata/Nuva or the Slizers/Throwbots.
However, they would use mostly the current, more delicately designed technic parts, with some additional “Old-School” looking limb & armor pieces.
I think that would make the older fans feel nostalgic towards the line, drawing them into it, while it would also grab the attention of the newcomers by being more eye-catching and unique. :grinning:

1 Like

my biggest worry about a reboot is it getting to the point where its so different and removed from the origionals story wise where theres no point even calling it bionicle as opposed to some new constraction theme. im all for brand new constraction themes with no story connection to bonkle or something that is called bionicle but actually remains faithful to origionals tho. I just worry a third reboot will just get messy as opposed to doing something like a prequel to g1 focused on dume or something

1 Like

I see where you are coming from with this.

I have a similar fear to yours, but it’s something that is in the cards, unfortunately.
However, if Bonkle will be lucky enough to receive a 2nd chance one day, I think it should be a hard reboot instead of what G2 tried, with its flimsy connection to G1.
Maybe it could be something, like the first half of the Bara Magna saga was back in 2009.
A strange new world, which still bears some of the foundational elements of G1 ( like the six tribes) but takes a new spin on those to look fresh and appealing to the potential newcomers.
For example, Instead of one big island with six regions/biomes, it’s a group of different sized islands, each with its unique climate and environment.
Or this time, the Toa are more grounded characters, with actual memories of their past lives, and their first challenge is to adapt to the new conditions of their homeworld after they have returned there for a long time.

3 Likes

I think an interesting conflict for this would be to have the toa stuck on an island that doesn’t match their element. Like the toa of earth stuck on the water island. This would force them to work outside of their element (pun) and learn the spiritual values of their islands. Having a better understanding of another’s values and code makes it easier to unite as one.

4 Likes

This quote also applies here:

4 Likes

The Toa are sent to an island and have to fight ‘champions’ because there is a conflict on the island.
The Toa have no previous memories and are unsure of what this conflict is so they battle the champions anyways.
They feel conflicted about their actions when they realize that the enemies they’re facing look similar to them that they feel a kinship to.
One of the Toa gets captured (either Tahu or Lewa) and they come to learn that the rebellion is by the Matoran, and that Makuta had taken over as the ruler of the Universe, previously dethroning Mata Nui. Mata Nui reveals himself as the leader of the rebellion, existing in a weakened state.
With the realization that the Toa have been fighting for Makuta due to memory wiping, one of the Toa has to work with the defeated champions to help turn his fellow Toa to the correct side of the conflict, so they may eventually take on Makuta together.

5 Likes

ooooooh!

3 Likes

I too believe that Bionicle G3 should just be the toa screaming at each other

6 Likes