What would you do for G3?

I think a gen3 of Bionicle would work much better as a series of System mech-style sets with an associated Card game of sorts.

3 Likes

I like the card game part of your idea!
It worked pretty well for the first couple of waves of Ninjago.
Though I’m not entirely sure it would click with today’s kids, who knows?
As for the figures, I wouldn’t like the sets as the standard mech-styled system figures.
As I’ve already mentioned in her & other topics, I would vastly prefer them to be something in vein with the og. Technic constraction sets, like the Toa Mata/Nuva or the Slizers/Throwbots.
However, they would use mostly the current, more delicately designed technic parts, with some additional “Old-School” looking limb & armor pieces.
I think that would make the older fans feel nostalgic towards the line, drawing them into it, while it would also grab the attention of the newcomers by being more eye-catching and unique. :grinning:

1 Like

my biggest worry about a reboot is it getting to the point where its so different and removed from the origionals story wise where theres no point even calling it bionicle as opposed to some new constraction theme. im all for brand new constraction themes with no story connection to bonkle or something that is called bionicle but actually remains faithful to origionals tho. I just worry a third reboot will just get messy as opposed to doing something like a prequel to g1 focused on dume or something

1 Like

I see where you are coming from with this.

I have a similar fear to yours, but it’s something that is in the cards, unfortunately.
However, if Bonkle will be lucky enough to receive a 2nd chance one day, I think it should be a hard reboot instead of what G2 tried, with its flimsy connection to G1.
Maybe it could be something, like the first half of the Bara Magna saga was back in 2009.
A strange new world, which still bears some of the foundational elements of G1 ( like the six tribes) but takes a new spin on those to look fresh and appealing to the potential newcomers.
For example, Instead of one big island with six regions/biomes, it’s a group of different sized islands, each with its unique climate and environment.
Or this time, the Toa are more grounded characters, with actual memories of their past lives, and their first challenge is to adapt to the new conditions of their homeworld after they have returned there for a long time.

3 Likes

I think an interesting conflict for this would be to have the toa stuck on an island that doesn’t match their element. Like the toa of earth stuck on the water island. This would force them to work outside of their element (pun) and learn the spiritual values of their islands. Having a better understanding of another’s values and code makes it easier to unite as one.

4 Likes

This quote also applies here:

4 Likes

The Toa are sent to an island and have to fight ‘champions’ because there is a conflict on the island.
The Toa have no previous memories and are unsure of what this conflict is so they battle the champions anyways.
They feel conflicted about their actions when they realize that the enemies they’re facing look similar to them that they feel a kinship to.
One of the Toa gets captured (either Tahu or Lewa) and they come to learn that the rebellion is by the Matoran, and that Makuta had taken over as the ruler of the Universe, previously dethroning Mata Nui. Mata Nui reveals himself as the leader of the rebellion, existing in a weakened state.
With the realization that the Toa have been fighting for Makuta due to memory wiping, one of the Toa has to work with the defeated champions to help turn his fellow Toa to the correct side of the conflict, so they may eventually take on Makuta together.

5 Likes

ooooooh!

3 Likes

I too believe that Bionicle G3 should just be the toa screaming at each other

6 Likes

what on mata nui is this joke?

1 Like

You just posted the word “ooooh” (which doesn’t seem to be a response to any particular post) In the topic “What would you do For G3”, leading me to make the joke about G3 being the toa screaming at each other

Honestly yes. Alternatively G3 could take place one week after the matoran civil war ended with all the matoran mad that they cant kill each other anymore but making up for it by finding more and more petty ways to throw shade at each other.

Another idea I have is: what if G3 was a video game?

Name
This game would be named BIONICLE Chronicle. I think that the name is striking, and (slightly) more informative than BIONICLE the Game.

Premise and Structure
The Darkness has threatened the island for a millennium. Then, six heroes called Toa arrived to expel this evil forever. The island is an ancient place, and faint remains of past linger. What happened in the Before-Time?

There are thirteen levels, two for each Toa and one for final boss. Levels are completed in order. Each half of game has all of six Toa in the same order. Each level has various sub-sections.

Gameplay
Similar to an enhanced version of BIONICLE the Game, BIONICLE Chronicle would be primarily mix of platforming and combat. Combat would be more complex than the Game. You still shoot and block with a shield, but there is no auto-aim. To shoot at enemy is not enough, you have to target infected masks.

You do not have to fight most of the enemies in sections based around platforming, but evading more advanced enemies requires skilled use of shield.

In many sub-sections, goal is to find and save enough Matoran to proceed. These would be open like Gali Nuva’s level in the Game. Furthermore, to unlock the next level, you need both to beat the previous level and collect enough Matoran in it.

There should be a reward for finding all Matoran in a level.

When you save a Matoran, you get skippable text featuring lore. In addition, some Matoran act as NPCs. They provide important bits of story, and require key items to progress.

In each level, a mask can be found, silver in first half and golden in second half. This mask gives the Toa a new power, allowing them to both proceed and to collect previously inaccessible Matoran. To avoid backtracking, you can teleport to certain points after you have activated teleport device specific to that point.

In addition to platforming and combat sub-sections, there are surfing/sliding/minecart sub-sections. Gali can swim, and Lewa can fly. There would also be sections with AI partner you have to cooperate with to emphasize the theme of Unity. Perhaps there is sub-section where NPC Toa tries to activate a device, and PC Toa has to protect them while they do it.

Story
There are four quarters to the story, spanning twelve levels. Scale of threat escalates through the quarters, and each quarter introduces a new primary antagonist. At end of first half, Toa have to decide between six Matoran, each one of two primary NPCs in their level, to be given a seemingly useless artifact as mark of honor.

In second half, each level has sub-sections in which two Toa have to cooperate, one PC, one NPC. At end of second half, the Matoran previously given the stone is transformed into seventh Toa due to the power of the artifact combined with the power of the Light, equal and opposite force to the Darkness, and descends deep underground to face the Darkness, as other Toa are unable to enter due to a barrier. Dialogue of the seventh Toa is different depending on what Matoran he or she is.

Underground, the Seventh Toa finds ruins of extremely advanced abandoned city, running through six short elemental sections and arriving in ruins of Coliseum. There, they fight Dark Lord Makuta, who reveals that he was once ruler of the Matoran who partly fused himself with the Darkness out of hunger for power.

To achieve this, Makuta secretly committed various atrocities against the citizens, his ultimate plan being to sacrifice a third of the city in order to complete the fusion and ascend. Previous generation of Toa, Toa Metru, discovered this evil plan and tried to stop Makuta.

While they were able to defeat his servants, Toa Metru were unable to defeat Makuta, and so they sacrificed themselves to cause Great Cataclysm, reality altering event that buried the Capital City, and with it Dark Lord himself, deep undergound. The rest of island was reshaped as side effect of the event, destroying most advanced technology and wiping memories of Matoran.

Through imprisoned, Makuta still managed to influence the island. Fortunately for the world, the Toa Metru are eventually reincarnated by Light into a new generation of Toa.

Seventh Toa manages to remove invincibility from Makuta, but is knocked unconscious. The other six Toa are teleported by the Light to finish the job. They sacrifice themselves to slay the evil Makuta, ascending back into stars.

Sequels
If the game would be somehow successful, the second game would be prequel focusing on adventures of Toa Metru, six Matoran transformed through the Toa Stones, seeking to save the Capital City from danger and uncover its mysterious source.

Third game would be sequel to the first. The Light is fading, and so, six Matoran (the other set of quest-giving Matoran from the first game) and the Toa of Light embark on a journey to a distant island, to stop the apocalypse by finding the greatest of all masks, the Mask of Light. They are transformed into new Toa, but the Seventh Toa goes missing. New Toa Inika have to face evil Barraki in a great quest to save the world.

3 Likes

ooh that sounds really cool! I’d play that.

1 Like

That sounds really fun! I wish it existed!!

2 Likes

tbh i’d rather a roboriders or slizer G2 rather than another bionicle revamp. it’d be more original and would give the forgotten themes a chance at fame.

2 Likes

I have seen this idea come up a few years ago from several people.
But I’m not in it if I’m honest.

Although I appreciate the sentiment, I can’t help but feel it would be redundant.

I think this mainly for these two reasons:

One:
Although both of them had played a big part in Lego getting into the business of making Constraction figures, albeit, with great hesitation, this doesn’t change the fact that both the Roboriders and the Slizers/Throwbots were just tests for Bionicle. For that reason, neither had a well-developed story, world, or even personality, because they were both just a test of the waters for Lego. They may have had some captivating ideas, but even then, most of these got already used in G1.
(An evil threat to the world (Which is typically a virus of some sort.), 5 or 6 multi-colored main characters, and of course, a place with different natural biomes as the setting, to name the most important ones)

Second: As I mentioned above, none of the themes had the distinctive personality and developed narrative to burn into the public consciousness, unlike Bionicle did later.
Of course, this also could be an advantage for the themes because a much lesser-known brand (Or two.) can be marketed to consumers as something brand-new, with much larger success and much more ease.
However, considering that the nostalgia for Bionicle has become stronger even outside of fandom since the demise of G2, it’s unlikely that a new Slizers or Roboriders could be in the same league as a possible G3.

If, in any case, a return of Bionicle is out of the question for Lego, then I think they should do a “spiritual successor” to it rather than try something that may have dubious chances of being a true success.

Of course, these are all but my views, and I’m open to any counterarguments! :beers:

2 Likes

Hero factory could also be cool. Out of all of the original constraction themes, I think Hero Factory would work best in the pseudo-comatraction system style that Lego seems to be pursuing

6 Likes

Super late reply! :sweat_smile:

Yeah, HF could also work well for a new system-based constraction theme.
Since the Heroes have to upgrade themselves before each mission, the set designers would have plenty of room to play around with different builds and looks.
Perhaps, they could include a gimmick to the sets similar to the first EVO sets of this year’s first wave of Ninjago.
Each Hero figure could come with some extra armor & weapon pieces that you could swap around to upgrade your hero for new missions

The more I think about it, the more I realize how much potential a real Hero Factory G2 could have.
Maybe it could serve a similar purpose on the market as its predecessor did before Bionicle g2.
What I mean by this is that Lego could use it as another test of the waters to gauge the interest for further possible original action figure-centered themes.
Instead of jumping straight into a Gen3, they could release another HF first (Or even a whole new theme, at that.) to experiment with new pieces and building techniques that they could use later on for a new Bionicle.
:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just not Ben 10.

1 Like