Where were you when you found out Bionicle had ended, and where were you when you found out it was coming back?

Back in 2013, I was doing my routine check on Bioniclestory.com because it had been a while since Greg had posted the last serial. That’s when I noticed that the same Bionicle STARS ad had been playing on the front page for 2 years now. Naturally I did what any loyal fan would do and spread the news of Bionicle cancellation.

You’re Welcome

Oh yeah Bionicle’s return came to me in a dream.

When I was 10, I wasn’t connected much to the internet, except for maybe playing free online games, but that’s about.

I saw the Bionicle STARS commercials and immediately knew that Bionicle was ending, I got a few of them and stopped caring about Bionicle and became bitter towards Hero Factory until Verderan’s video.

Near the end of Bionicle, mainly late 2008-2009, I noticed that Bionicle was a bit more “cartoonish”?

The Mistika Makuta just looked, really cartoon-ish to me, it gave me an odd feeling.

I got a few agori, but didn’t like the tone of Spherus Magna, so much desert and the only thing the Glatorian seemed to do with their lives was fight each other in an arena.

Now, I was in France when I saw the video, I had “quit” LEGO a month ago, so I had unsubbed from TTV. Oddly enough, I felt an urge to check the public computer in the hotel, when I saw the video I contained myself with joy, but speculation.
When I got home, and after lots of research, I finally believed it happened and got back into Bionicle and LEGO in general, I got about 7 Bionicle sets for 15 euro, and I’m now taking apart most of the Phantoka ones for MOCs.

I have no idea what was happening when BIONICLE ended because I didn’t follow the story, although I made my own MOCs with the set parts.

As for the return: I had just taken a day long trip. After settling in to the place we were staying, I got on the computer to check up on my sites, and saw some discussion going on concerning BIONICLE’s return (of all things!) So, I read the discussion, saw the image, and plugged in my headphones so that I wouldn’t disturb anyone while listening to the TTV coverage. I was skeptical at first, both of that and the set list, but gradually I believed it more. Then came the colored image, and I was colored hyped.

I remember in the winter 07 or 08 edition of Lego Club Magazine there was a fold out poster for Bionicle spanning all the years to that point. In big bold letters in the middle it said “And it all leads up to this” (or something along those lines). At the time I thought Bionicle was really ending. Then the next few waves came out and I learned Bionicle was really ending. I told my parents and they said “Well Hero Factory looks like the same thing”. That was the end of Bionicle for me. No I do not hate Hero Factory, they are just not the same.

Then just as summer turned so did my interest for Bionicle. I was in the car talking with my mom and remembering how when I was younger I would play with Bionicles. Even though I had not been an active part of the community I still remembered a lot of the lore. I then did a Google search for Bionicle and found the TTV. I was not previously exposed to the TTV so I am a new fan. The time i got back into being interested in Bionicle just so happens to be the same day that they released the first Bionicle 2015 video, and I have been subscribed ever since.

I found out Bionicle was coming back from TTV.

I was at my friend’s house (who was a fellow fan) we were checking Bzpower.com for news, when we saw the sad news. I never got the very last comic for some reason…

But four years later, I was in my bed surfing Youtube, when I felt like checking TTV, since I haven’t checked their channel in like a year (this was when I forgot about Bionicle) and then I saw the black and white picture of Tahu reaching for the early concept of the mask of creation. I literally screamed. Yes. I screamed. A lot of people exaggerate when they say those kind of things, but I’m telling the truth. I screamed. Then in about a split second, my mind was flooded with the lore of the Bionicle, and I was welcomed back into the gorgeous fandom I am proud of today.

3 Likes

I was sitting in one of my girlfriends house at the time when I heard it came back, and frankly I can’t remember where I was when it ended, but I do remember a significant amount of backlash from the statement.

When it ended… oh, man. I was reading that last comic at my house. I felt so conflicted when I came to the end. About half way through, I realized that the ‘rumors’ might have been right, that Bionicle was ending. But when I got to the end… a sense of finality came over me. It was really over. I did shed a tear; who wouldn’t when they found out that something that had been a part of their life for over 6/7 years was ending.

When it came back? That is actually a funny story. When the first black and white picture leaked, I was on vacation in California. It was so frustrating, trying to listen to the TTV’s episode with my parents talking the whole time. When the second display picture leaked, I WAS ON VACATION IN CALIFORNIA. I had the sense to wait until later in the evening when my parents where in the other room watching TV to watch the TTV’s episode for it.

I actually found it was ending from someone’s review on a stars set in the LEGO shop. In this very spot on the computer. It took me a long time to accept it though.

I found out it was coming at this same spot. My friend Keplers had written a comedy about the rumors (which were still very early) so I went in to our chatroom and they told me about the TTV video. (I had been gone for a week and not caught up) it was late at night and when I started the video I didn’t believe it, but by the end I was super hyped.

4 Likes

March 22nd 2010: I was sitting in my kitchen reading the last bionicle comic and when I read those lines “never… THE END” I felt the lump in my throat and I didn’t want to believe it but I knew it was true that this franchise that I loved more than star wars and transformers combined had come to an end.

As a result me and my friends started coming up with new stories staring our favorite heroes and a new toa team together

fast forward 4 years

July 2nd 2014: I’m scrolling through my xbox youtube feed and TTV comes up and I stopped breathing for a moment, memories started flooding my mind, and I whispered “no… there is no way” i watched the video, then the podcast, I screamed some vulgar things out of hapiness and I boarded the hype train

2 Likes

When it ended… I think in early 2010, what had happened was a couple years before I joined my first online forums and was starting to branch out into other fan forums, and I looked up one for BIONICLE… I found BZP, was like “oh cool,” browsed around and saw the topic about BIONICLE’s cancellation… So I just got sad and never joined.

When it came back… I had subscribed to TTV after my sister had showed me some Autopsies, then soon after I saw the short video with the leaked images… Was skeptical at first, but then upon listening to 107 I was in full hype mode.

2 Likes

I read the last BIONICLE comic. Then, four 1/2 years later, I saw something somewhere, and stumbled upon TTV’s video (episode 117) At first, I didn’t believe it, and I never did, despite overwhelming evidence, until I got confirmation, which I think was two or three days before the “coming soon” thing indirectly confirmed it.

1 Like

My house

My house

1 Like

I was simply drifting around Biotube as I often did at that time when I found out about its cancellation. I’m rather certain that I had run across a video announcing it. I subsequently popped over to BZP for confirmation, and was greeted with the official Lego statement on the matter.

I would proceed to run into my room and sit in dead silence for half an hour at the very least.

As for when we first got words of the initial pictures, I was awakened from the self-imposed cryogenic stasis that I had taken as refuge in until Bionicle’s glorious return.

Ahem

I mean, I had just woken up from a long night’s sleep to find the TTV video. I posted something along the lines of…

“Is this possible? Maybe I’m not awake yet. I’m going back to bed. I’ll make a logical comment later.”

And did precisely that.

3 Likes

I was on Youtube, searching for the most recent Bionicle vids, then a video popped up saying that it was cancelled.

So I clicked on it. Don’t know which vid it was, but it had huge blocks of text running down the screen talking about Lego’s official deceleration of Bionicle’s cancellation, and the song “harder better faster stronger” was playing in the background…now whenever I hear that song, I associate it with the ending of Bionicle…

1 Like

wow thats the best tone for them to give to fans

It was a fan who made the video, not Lego.

And the tone of the song fit surprisingly well…the “eerie” robotic voice sent chills down my spine, and the lyrics “faster better stronger” made me think that something bigger and better would replace Bionicle…

2 Likes

Hah.
HAH.
(sorry HF fans)

4 Likes

Ending: from Legomations
Reboot: From ether Nikonaquamagna or TTV.

Where: In my room, on my PC (kinda weird question to ask really).

1 Like

When I saw the first Hero Factory advert. It made me cringe, it made me fantasize of killing the hero factory robots limb-by-limb. They looked completely stupid at the time, and the ad gave it no credit.

I was in France when I found out Bionicle was coming back, I saw the leaks at one of those rent-able desktops, and I went crazy, I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t interact a lot with many of the fans, as I didn’t really fully connect with them… (only discovered Bionicle in 2005/2006)

2 Likes