Which other Toa would you’ve liked to see get krana’d?

I always thought it was a copout that Lewa was the only toa brainwashed by the krana, especially since we already saw him infected in the first saga, and it would’ve been a lot more dramatic to see the rest of the team get affected by these brain-masks. For example, I would’ve had it be Onua after he discovers the underground nests and gets overwhelmed by their sheer numbers; getting infected by a Yo that makes him dig all the tunnels that the Bohroks spread throughout the island with. We could then have a cool reversal of fate where it’s Lewa saving onua this time and the latter could use his ordeal to guide the others to the mother-nest. Which other toa would you’ve had get brainwashed? Include details like how, why and which krana would befit them.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Boards.

I think I would’ve preferred to see another Toa get Krana’d instead of Lewa rather than alongside him. The Krana infection for Lewa was particularly underwhelming as after a brief spar with Onua, Lewa brute-forced his way through the Bahrag’s control and ripped the Krana off.

In MNOG, Lewa’s short-lived existence as Makuta’s pawn illustrated more than anything else that Lewa was the least powerful pawn he could have chosen. IMO it would’ve been cool to see Kopaka as the Krana-controlled one instead of Lewa, since the Toa of Air did absolutely nothing to assist with the cleaning, and Kopaka’s reclusive and distancing nature means it’s possible the Toa wouldn’t find out about his being turned until it was too late for the island.

However Kopaka also literally overpowered Level 6 fear Kraata by telling it No, so he would probably break free of the Krana’s control much easier than Lewa did.

4 Likes

What bothers me is that everyone made a big deal out of Lewa being controled by a Krana and still being potentially influenced by them as a sleeper agent, but no one questions the ENTIRE VILLAGE OF LE-KORO sharing the same fate. And just to remind you, that includes Matau, the Turaga and chief of 1/6th of island’s population.

5 Likes

Was it “everyone”? The only one I can remember being suspicious of Lewa is Tahu.

4 Likes

Takua being controlled by a Krana would be interesting. He was present when Makuta awakened the Bohrok, and only narrowly escaped.

2 Likes

Doesn’t change the point. Why didn’t Tahu question Matau’s decision making or demand the Le-Matoran to be quarantined?

3 Likes

K, how can you see him getting controlled and which krana would fit him?

3 Likes

Canonically, it happened to Tahu, but to my knowledge that is never actually depicted in the story. I wish we got to see it. Besides that, I think an interesting alternate story would have been Krana taking Makuta, forcing the Toa and Rahkshi to work together to free Mata Nui. However, that requires the Bohrok to be a significantly bigger threat.

3 Likes

Citation? Because from what I recall the only instance where such a thing ever occurred is the one ad, and that’s not canon.

3 Likes

While we never see it directly (as far as I know), Tahu recalls the event in Chronicles 4: Tales Of The Masks:

Tahu frowned. He could not help being suspicious of Lewa, whose mind had so recently been controlled by their enemies, the Bohrok. None of the other Toa knew that Tahu, too, had once lost a mask and had it replaced with a krana. Although he had not worn it long enough to be absorbed into the swarm, he knew how powerful the krana could be. Sometimes the Toa of Fire worried that his decision to split up the team might have been caused by the Bohrok somehow.

4 Likes

It’s in the ads as well. Watch the 4-minute recap video from 2008, and the Bohrok ads.

3 Likes

The ads are irrelevant to canon.

What’s relevant to canon is the books, which Jerminator just cited.

3 Likes

Well, the end of MNOG 1 directly links to the scene in the Bohrok ads where Tahu get Krana’d.

2 Likes

In the Tahu and Lewa story from Chronicles 4, Quest for the Masks, the narrator states that Tahu was briefly controlled by a Krana, but overcame it, and kept it a secret from the team. It seems weird that we never saw it, especially given how big of a deal Tahu’s distrust of Lewa was in Chronicles.

4 Likes

Ehm.

5 Likes

And while not the most canon piece of media, Bionicle: The Game also has a Krana messing with Tahu’s mind at the end of his portion.

3 Likes

Shoot, I need to read through the comics.

4 Likes

Was this officially from Lego?

3 Likes

Yes it was.

That is not an accurate statement. It is explained in the Blocks magazine issue #85 that there were always 2 types of ads, one of which is literally called story ads and are meant to be one of the many Bionicle media serving to tell the story:

story ads

So all of the CG scenes depict story relevant material, which is also bolstered by the fact they are used in all of the expanding story material such as promo CDs, the afformentioned 4-minute retrospective, etc. (outside of commercials).
The scenes showing physical sets on the other hand, are not connected to the story.
Also Chris Faber in one of his interviews said that if there were a Bionicle movie before Mask of Light, the CG scenes from commercials would be like snippets from that movie.

So an accurate statement would be: "Product ads are irrelevant to canon."

4 Likes