Why are Nuva masks organic in appearance?

So after Toa Mata were transformed into Toa Nuva, their masks changed in appearance and became more organic-looking. Is there a canon explanation to this?

3 Likes

I’m not completely sure about this, but I think it is because when the toa mata fell into the pool of protodermis, it formed the new masks. The protodermis made their masks organic because the protodermis is a substance that is partly organic? I think? Possibly. But that is what I think.

2 Likes

To be fair, their doesn’t really need to be, as they aren’t actually organic, just a bit rounded in shape. It’s kind of a unique instance for a mask: being ‘mutated’ by EP, so that could have had an effect. It’s not like they were carved (Imma just ignore that Artahka supposedly made the rest).

1 Like

something I find odd is that the “mutated” akaku has some wires and technolegy on it.

2 Likes

The original Akaku had scope tech as well, I guess the EP just kept/modified what was already there.

3 Likes

but the original didn’t have wires on it.

2 Likes

Not that we saw :wink:

4 Likes

I guess the original had wires in it, and they just popped out when the mata fell into the pool of protodermis.
if so,I wonder if the akaku’s mask power is from the technolegy on it, or the mask could do the scopey thingb without that technolegy bit.

2 Likes

I believe the akaku /akaku nuva has a telescopic lens, that isn’t necessary for the mask’s power, but complements it.
Note that the noble Akaku lacks this lens.

2 Likes

I do not know if there is a direct explanation but it likely tied with how Energized Protodermis transforms Kanohi. How? I have no clue. The substance is very unpredictable.

If anything, it’s like tossing Kanohi masks into Acetone (which is something you should NOT do).

4 Likes

When Greg answers questions regarding the sets, he usually reminds us that he wasn’t involved with the set designs. I doubt he would have a canonical answer.

1 Like

In this case, he probably would, given that he was the one making the explanations for character designs in-universe. While he wasn’t directly responsible for the designs, he would have to provide an explanation in-story at some point (for instance, explaining the Toa Nuva’s new looks as “they were mutated by Energized Protodermis”). But you are right in saying that these answers wouldn’t currently be canon, as without authorization from LEGO, he can’t add new facts to the fiction.

Why they look the way they look vs. how they came to look that way are very different things though. The how is something he would explain, but why something looks the way it does has always been answered with “because the set designers made it that way.”

2 Likes

Why is this getting replies almost 4 years later lol

2 Likes

Because I decided to answer someone else who posted.

2 Likes

Matatu has a telescope, but the noble version does not.

Matoran versions of kanohi has telescopes… so noble kanohi are incompatible with telescopes? But that wouldn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Based on the information on Biosector01 about the Akaku, it seems that the scopes are merely an attachment that can be removed from the mask.

https://biosector01.com/wiki/Akaku

Apparently it’s the same for the Matatu, as the same site states that Nuju’s scope was added by Vakama.

https://biosector01.com/wiki/Matatu

According to the trivia page, Nuju lost his scope after becoming a Turaga.

3 Likes

The Bionicle’s are bio mechanical if I remember correctly. The Toa Mata were in disrepair despite their power and might, they were in their canisters for quite some time.

Energised Protodermis is a living thing, at times even sentient in it’s selection of who lives and dies when it comes into contact with characters. in one of the Metru-Nui games this is written off as destiny or the will of the Great Spirit or programming in Mata-Nui robot.

I think it is safe to assume that when the Toa came into contact with the energised Protodermis that not only their armour, but also their Bio-mass was greatly restored and upgraded, the two would may have become more integrated/combined during this process. Either way the Energised Protodermis can selectively interact

Not sure if this is entirely canonical, but it is how I remembered understanding the books, comics and games making sense.

1 Like

Makes you wonder why they don’t make more variants of kanohi with telescopes?

Right, because it is variants. It’s a tedious process, kinda.

But, no one is stopping you from taking the telescope from Akaku and slapping it onto another kanohi digitally, then printing it as an stl.

1 Like

did they melt and only come back half way?

1 Like