Why do you play video games?

Why do you play video games?
Is it because of the gameplay, theme, or story?
Talk and share why do you play video games.

3 Likes

I may enjoy the story and characters every now and again, but gameplay is my first and foremost reason to ever play a game.

Mass Effect’s probably my sole exception.

2 Likes

I love the feel of taking on these characters roles and go into new lands to explore.

2 Likes

it comes down to what I’m lookin’ for, if I just wanna run around like an idiot with a gun and giant robots, I’ll play titanfall

but usually, I love to play games because of story (Mass Effect, Halo and such) gameplay is essential, but the gameplay in mass effect is very clunky yet the game is still amazing. I also love to play because of my friends, we have a bond over halo and we always are a strong team whenever we play together

4 Likes

[quote=“Middlefingerstudios, post:4, topic:13873, full:true”]
but the gameplay in mass effect is very clunky yet the game is still amazing.[/quote]

Actually, now that I think about it, one could argue that in Mass Effect’s case, the story is a part of the gameplay because of the kind of choices, and consequences of those choices, that the player is capable of having.

1 Like

Depends on the game for me

If I just wanna mess around with various items, create something, or have fun I’ll play things like minecraft or maybe a platform we

For the most part though, I’m mainly the kind of guy that enjoys interesting stories and characters, particularly the Metal Gear games

2 Likes

I play them because they are fun.

3 Likes

Because I wanna be a robot cowboy pirate that shoots people.

When I was a child, probably boredom.

As of recently, it’s been a matter of inspiration - aside from the fact that I like strategy games, one of the reasons I got Fire Emblem: Awakening was because the character designs gave me great ideas from MOCs.

4 Likes

Nowadays I have three sorts of vidya gayms that I experience:

Games with great gameplay but lackluster story; ex. FTL, Convoy, Warframe

Games with great gameplay and story; ex. Halo, Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect

Games with great story but I don’t wanna buy them; ex. Batman Arkham series, some Telltale games

If I can’t buy a game but I love it’s story, I watch a playthrough on Youtube

otherwise, I tend to play games because they’re either fun or have great stories or both.

6 Likes

If I did, it would be for the story and the beautiful world.

2 Likes

Because they look friggin great and one day I hope to make game-videos.

2 Likes

The Arkham games are definitely worth getting.

3 Likes

I am not a gamer because I have no life, but because I have many.

and because it’s my duty to save Tamriel, Gotham, and Arkham.

3 Likes

very true now that you mention it

should have specified, the gunplay is pretty clunky

1 Like

I play vidya cause I want to court all the nice ladies, then argue about who is best girl.

2 Likes

I play games that are quick and engaging to play, but can keep you coming back over long periods.
Gameplay with unique spins and coherent story are also bonuses.

1 Like

Another reason for vidya is to drive at high speeds without the risk of getting arrested, or dying.

1 Like

to ignore my current life /s
for the adventure

1 Like

I really enjoy story, but if the gameplay is amazing as well, then I like that too. For me, with games, it’s also for the music, which is why I like UnCharted and Assassins Creed, great story, amazing music.

1 Like