Why does everybody hate Galidor?

So, many people in the internet seem to hate Lego Galidor.
But, I don’t really understand why? What a poor Galidor does to make everybody so upset?
Maybe a TV show was too weird, I don’t know, I never saw it. I am interested in why people hate sets specifically.
I was 8 when Galidor was released and I found it to be pretty cool. I still like it. I think that it has some very nice retro designs and overall quality of toys was good. It was weird a little in a way that it wasn’t really Lego, and wasn’t action figures either, it was something in between, but does it that really matters?
I think that as just toys, Galidor was at least fine. Maybe it wasn’t Lego we all used to, or maybe it was too expensive, but, I don’t see a real reason to specifically hate it.

Please, tell me your opinions on Galidor. Do you like it, don’t like, or even hate, and why?

8 Likes

I’m tagging in @MaximumWarp

IMO, a majority of the designs are snazzy. The concept and gimmick is also pretty awesome. I’m pretty sad though, how most of the parts weren’t really compatible with other Lego lines, which I think might have attributed to low sales. From what I have used with Galidor parts (Ex-Friend of mine had a few sets), they where really good quality, and where pretty fantastic.

I’m yet to see the show, so I can’t judge that. I heard it was somewhat decent though.

The McDonalds sets are pretty horrifying though.

8 Likes

I had a lot of them and had much fun with them.

I just don’t like the style. It looks like Lego was really trying to hard to make things that look more realistic. That, and there isn’t really much you can do with the parts in the sets afterwards.

It would make an interesting MOC challenge, make something good that includes Galidor parts. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Oh please no… :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember having these as a kid, but I didn’t know they were LEGO until a few months ago. It seems like LEGO was trying to make “real” action-figures, but they just came out…ugly.

As for the show, I never liked it as a kid…

3 Likes

The episodes are on youtube.
shudders

4 Likes

Those episodes are… Not worth watching to say the least.

1 Like

People hate Galidor? Well I can’t say i’m too surprised.

Personally, i’m indifferent to Galidor.

People dislike Galidor because it is not “traditional Lego” or “doesn’t look like Lego”.
I have all of the sets that were officially released, but I feel like it’s wrong to call them “sets”. They should just be action figures, but I imagine that they would have been received better had they not been made by Lego. Either way I still like them and I like the fact that Lego used their own ratcheted connection systems for the figures, allowing for easy removal readjusting, posing, you name it. At the time they were made they were the most posable action figures that came out of Lego’s mind, and dare I say, even more posable than the then-new Toa Nuva.

This also brings up the current argument among Bionicle fans: Technic vs. CCBS. Looking back, the Galidor figures had MANY specialized parts that were never used in any other line by Lego. The same (well, mostly) goes for Bionicle, especially in its later years (2006-2010). Name a set from that time period (other than the Bionicle playsets) that used any parts from the Bionicle line… Not many, huh? CCBS was created to bridge the gap. As a recent example, look at the Hulkbuster set. The upper arms use CCBS limbs and shells. Imagine if those parts were replaced with the Toa Metru thigh build, and it looks out of place.

Back to Galidor:
If I were to make a recommendation for just one set to get from this line, I’d say go with the TDN Module. Mainly because it’s awesome. I have no other reasons; go buy it.

3 Likes

Courtesy of Matt rowntRee on MOCpages
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/413888

2 Likes

And we have a winner.

galidor is the masterrace.
It shall control us all.
It will proceed to kill your parents
yet bring them back

For it is the holy one
The holy one that shall bring peace and good.

5 Likes

Edited title more a grammar mistake @apophyx missed-I was me, DIO!

1 Like

“why does everybody hates Galidor”

Hates should be hate if speaking about more than one person.

1 Like

The Galidor figures are great. I like how all of the pieces are pre-textured, it saves a lot of time while mocing. The sets get too much flak for being different, it’s sad really.

Really enjoy the high quality of Galidor, but the system needed more… system related uses.
Enjoyed the series; their costumes were way better than power-rangers and some of their film sets and props were really impressive.

I appreciate the attempt of galidor more than the actual delivery. Making more sets with ratchet joints opened up the possibility for furthering lines like lego knights kingdom, but the faces of humans from galidor were kinda creepy

1 Like