Why exactly are we supposed to want BIONICLE to come back?

Noÿs said, “This is Earth. Not the eternal and only home of mankind, but only a starting point of an infinite adventure. All you need do is make the decision. It is yours to make. You and I and the contents of this cave will be protected by a physiotime field against the Change. Cooper will disappear along with his advertisement; Eternity will go and the Reality of my Century, but we will remain to have children and grandchildren, and mankind will remain to reach the stars.”

2 Likes

i think its a simple fact that we enjoy it, and if you enjoy something you want it to to continue. thats like asking why were more marvel movies made after the first avengers film, or after endgame :thinking:

3 Likes

Exactly. Even if the the continuation utterly fails like g2, some of anime later seasons, etc as fans we always want to see things continue especially if it ends open ended like bionicle did both times.

3 Likes

Hello! New member here! :wave:

Well, I think that it comes down to the fact that just as everyone has a different take on the core/essence of Bionicle itself, it also varies from individual to individual as to why they want to see it come back.

Personally, the main reason I’d like to see it come back is because there’s still a lot of potential in the whole concept itself.
The very idea of robotic-looking cyborgs inhabiting a rich natural paradise, living in colorful tribes while using the power of nature’s elements to fight off whatever threatens them, still has a lot of untapped potential.

Hopefully, at some point in the future, Lego management will reflect on the same and realize that maybe it’s still worth doing something with this idea, in the meantime it’s up to us fans to keep the legend alive.

10 Likes

Well ninjago is similar enough minus the robots. Granted we need more then one big original theme but they know how to they just have to want to do it.

1 Like

Ayo, welcome to the boards! I’d suggest you run while you can!

But that’s not … Bionicle. That’s an aspect of Bionicle, one that could be interpreted many different ways. If LEGO were to remake something with that concept, I’d be all for it. But if they put the name BIONICLE on it … ? I’d be far less enthused, if you catch my drift.

6 Likes

Thank you for the welcome!

Yeah, I see your point.
Maybe I described it that way because, for me, that aspect was the essence of Bionicle itself.
But, as I wrote at the beginning of my comment, the core of Bionicle means different things to different people, and as you have just pointed out, this aspect can be interpreted in many ways.

So, overall, I agree. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

personally I don’t mind the idea of bionicle just being a sortof anthology thing where each reboot is an entirely different story that just shares certain tropes and aesthetics

6 Likes

It’d be a very slow anthology then. Maybe if they reboot it each year is one story so that way if one really sticks they know what to do with the future. Like the first year isn’t bad but it’s kinda generic but the second is so much better. Like yugioh that each year has a different story and series.

Sounds interesting! :+1:

Although, I’d prefer a direction more along the lines of Hasbro’s Transformers, for a multiple reboot strategy like this.

IMO, each reboot should last at least 3-4, 5-6 years at the most, this would give the creators more time and options to build a colorful and rich world, with a well-developed story to go with it.

1 Like

I’d like this. It wouldn’t even have to be a reboot or anything; there’s 100,000 years of unknown history of the Matoran Universe. (And pre-Shattering Spherus Magna)

2 Likes

That would be my ideal style for Bionicle as a long-running franchise.

We already have our beloved G1, and our much maligned G2, but if Bionicle were to take up the Transformers formula, we’d end up with myriad versions that all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Eventually, we’d have a Beast Wars, a version of Bionicle that is taken in a wild new direction unlike any previous incarnation that manages to be incredibly good.

Eventually we’d have a Bayverse, and we’d all love to hate it.

Eventually we’d have a Prime, a version that went back to the G1 roots and adapted the G1 lore with a new, unique spin on it.

And, hopefully, so much more. If Bionicle never comes back, then so be it. It was beautiful while it lasted. But if it does make another return, let it be like this. Let each run be it’s own unique story that captures our attention in a brand new way.

6 Likes

I just want any construction set

PLEASE LEGO

5 Likes

I’m so done with these system based snot box mechs. So cheap looking compared to bionicle g1. Did you know we’re getting two more hulkbuster sets later this year?

6 Likes

i just want the hulkbuster from the original lego marvel game
why is this so hard lego

2 Likes

Well, I would love to see the story revisited in some way whether in the past set before the start of the main storyline or in the future after the series’ end. Either way, any setting should allow for new fans to enter a new story without relying heavily on the lore while us fans get to go back to our Bionicle universe.

Also, if Lego decides to reboot Bionicle one more time I would like to see a team cohesion between the set designers and writers and such. I mean stuff like having Hydraxon’s mask be a freaking helmet while we get actual helmets later is ridiculous. Or the infamous Love is Not Canon.

Heck, I feel Lego has dropped the ball on creating their own action figure line. Like the way mask packs from the first few years could’ve been their own unique gimmick for the rest of Bionicle’s run to compete with other action figure lines. I think Hero Factory was marketed as a “create your own hero” kinda thing but Bionicle kinda unknowingly did that already.

In short, give us more Kanohi and more story please!

2 Likes

They lost interest in Action Figure lines like half-way through G1’s run, lol. Those themes for whatever reason always stayed isolated from the rest of LEGO’s portfolio, and LEGO treated them as such. Bionicle could have easily become as widely successful and recognized as something like Transformers, but because LEGO thought Action Figure lines don’t quite fit with their brand image, they gave up on them before they could reach their full potential.
It should come as no surprise that they eventually completely died down, when LEGO wasn’t even that concerned about their success to begin with.

4 Likes

I want Bionicle back because story-based toys make me happy, building things makes me happy, and I just like constraction sets way more than system (and they’re easier on my wallet size-wise).

5 Likes

Dude.All i want is the story to be back,our original dudes back,and for lego to completely drop the quote-on-quote child friendly nonsense that was hero factory and g2 bionicle,and bring the characters back.There is still conflict yet to be resolved:The great beings.Not only that,what about brutaka getting stuck with the cursed great being?All this plot was thrown away,even though it could have been useful and keep bionicle going.

1 Like

The plot was too much to bring in new fans. If it continued now, it’d have a tiny and shrinking customer base. Not a viable business decision.

Remember that LEGO is a corporation first and foremost. They need to make money, they can’t just keep making BIONICLE stories if there’s no money in it. They have several very good reasons to stop doing BIONICLE, both G1 and in general, chief among them that there’s just low public interest.

7 Likes