Why exactly are we supposed to want BIONICLE to come back?

I never really understood why so many people disliked them. To me, they look like a natural upgrade over their 2015 versions.

4 Likes

They.

Are.

No set designer ever intended them to be, but Greg said they are, so they are.

7 Likes

The title kinda says it all here.

Ever since Bionicle G2 crashed and burned, a lot of people have talked about the theme coming back for another, more proper reboot. The more I think about it, the more I realize I agree. Even though I was indifferent to G2 at first, that was mainly because it had absolutely no connections to G1, and that made it hard for me to get into. In the years since, I’ve realized why it was a complete reboot-so it would be able to draw in new fans easier. Of course, G2 was NOT executed very well, hence why it ended up failing. But I’ve accepted that, if Bionicle does come back, it won’t be a continuation of G1 or G2. I’m willing to accept it as a complete reboot. And if it actually does well enough to warrant a full 3 years with a complete story, then it’ll be able to give Bionicle proper closure-much better than anything G1 or G2 got.

But those are just my thoughts. What about yours?

3 Likes

I think we all want bionicle back but I’m just more worried about g3 getting the same corporate treatment as G2. I mean from the old art book G2 had some really cool ideas but everything wrong was basically corporate meddling.

3 Likes

I actively don’t want a G3. I want BIONICLE to be able to rest in peace without overzealous fans spending all their spell slots trying to cast Revivify. Sure, a tribute or at least acknowledgement from TLC would be nice, but I think that a G3 would do more harm than good.

2 Likes

I can’t disagree there. At least some kind of respect from the lego group more then just a picture in the lego movie or canceled character in the sequel. It’s like lego completely forgot just how bad they were doing before creating their savoir theme. Seriously are they embarassed to have even been at that point or something?

2 Likes

I’m a bit late on this, but I’m going to say the story was a main drag-down of G2. The lack of marketing is what objectively ruined it, but the story itself was, in my opinion, its worst personal aspect. Hyper-simplified concepts were… acceptable on paper; I liked the Vahi existing as an upper half this time around… but the execution of these concepts was terrible. According to the art book, the Vahi would’ve played a much bigger role… but it never did. They never bothered to write it in until the very end, for some reason, let alone design it. Character rewrites felt inconsistent, worldbuilding was weak on the ends of the main story team… there’s a way to write a story that’s easy to pick up but still multilayered and self-consistent. And I don’t feel G2 did that last part very well.

I heavily appreciate Ryder Windham making the most out of the canon with what he was given (specifically, he was just handed the entire pre-written story bible and commissioned to adapt it to novel form), but he unfortunately wasn’t directly with the story team to call any shots or make any suggestions, which meant that any depictions outside of his work were as simplified as ever. I guess that last part sums it up; when it came to the story, not everyone was on the same page.

7 Likes

A tribute set is all I really would like to happen. A possible G3 I think is too much too realistically hope for but if there were a G3 I think it should be system and last only three years.
I think that Lego should retire Ninjago soon. The success of Ninjago has made Lego complacent and there is not many original themes coming out. I also think that new themes should not be met with as much derision because its not what we want like Chima and Nexo Knights. Bionicle is gone for now maybe forever, we should look forward into the future and build something new. New ideas and worlds to explore. Imagine the untapped possibilities Lego has at its disposal for new themes.
Here are some ideas I thought up:
Middle Eastern fantasy inspired by ancient Persia and the Golden Age of Islam
Space Pirates like Treasure Planet
Celtic Mythology
The Byzantine Empire
A Sci Fi theme set in a decaying Galactic Empire similar to the Foundation Series
The possibilities are endless.

4 Likes

(thewimpykid’s original question was “Why Do/Don’t You Want Bionicle G3?”, this is what I reply to)

Why not?
I like the lego constraction sets - check. I like fantasy/sci-fi settings, that are detached from the present time - check. I’m personally attached to the theme, so anything related to that starts with a big advantage in my book - check.
Of course if they make a theme that happens to not be Bionicle but still tickles my fancy, I will be satisfied.

1 Like

But still just like g2 I feel like a theme is worse then some special set becuase it could end the same way as g2
Granted you’re right that we at least want another construction theme ever since Star Wars ended. They could even bring back slizers since it’s a perfect mix of their two loves; oversized motorcycles and mechs.

1 Like

Noÿs said, “This is Earth. Not the eternal and only home of mankind, but only a starting point of an infinite adventure. All you need do is make the decision. It is yours to make. You and I and the contents of this cave will be protected by a physiotime field against the Change. Cooper will disappear along with his advertisement; Eternity will go and the Reality of my Century, but we will remain to have children and grandchildren, and mankind will remain to reach the stars.”

2 Likes

i think its a simple fact that we enjoy it, and if you enjoy something you want it to to continue. thats like asking why were more marvel movies made after the first avengers film, or after endgame :thinking:

3 Likes

Exactly. Even if the the continuation utterly fails like g2, some of anime later seasons, etc as fans we always want to see things continue especially if it ends open ended like bionicle did both times.

3 Likes

Hello! New member here! :wave:

Well, I think that it comes down to the fact that just as everyone has a different take on the core/essence of Bionicle itself, it also varies from individual to individual as to why they want to see it come back.

Personally, the main reason I’d like to see it come back is because there’s still a lot of potential in the whole concept itself.
The very idea of robotic-looking cyborgs inhabiting a rich natural paradise, living in colorful tribes while using the power of nature’s elements to fight off whatever threatens them, still has a lot of untapped potential.

Hopefully, at some point in the future, Lego management will reflect on the same and realize that maybe it’s still worth doing something with this idea, in the meantime it’s up to us fans to keep the legend alive.

10 Likes

Well ninjago is similar enough minus the robots. Granted we need more then one big original theme but they know how to they just have to want to do it.

1 Like

Ayo, welcome to the boards! I’d suggest you run while you can!

But that’s not … Bionicle. That’s an aspect of Bionicle, one that could be interpreted many different ways. If LEGO were to remake something with that concept, I’d be all for it. But if they put the name BIONICLE on it … ? I’d be far less enthused, if you catch my drift.

6 Likes

Thank you for the welcome!

Yeah, I see your point.
Maybe I described it that way because, for me, that aspect was the essence of Bionicle itself.
But, as I wrote at the beginning of my comment, the core of Bionicle means different things to different people, and as you have just pointed out, this aspect can be interpreted in many ways.

So, overall, I agree. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

personally I don’t mind the idea of bionicle just being a sortof anthology thing where each reboot is an entirely different story that just shares certain tropes and aesthetics

6 Likes

It’d be a very slow anthology then. Maybe if they reboot it each year is one story so that way if one really sticks they know what to do with the future. Like the first year isn’t bad but it’s kinda generic but the second is so much better. Like yugioh that each year has a different story and series.

Sounds interesting! :+1:

Although, I’d prefer a direction more along the lines of Hasbro’s Transformers, for a multiple reboot strategy like this.

IMO, each reboot should last at least 3-4, 5-6 years at the most, this would give the creators more time and options to build a colorful and rich world, with a well-developed story to go with it.

1 Like