Why exactly are we supposed to want BIONICLE to come back?

I’d like this. It wouldn’t even have to be a reboot or anything; there’s 100,000 years of unknown history of the Matoran Universe. (And pre-Shattering Spherus Magna)

2 Likes

That would be my ideal style for Bionicle as a long-running franchise.

We already have our beloved G1, and our much maligned G2, but if Bionicle were to take up the Transformers formula, we’d end up with myriad versions that all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Eventually, we’d have a Beast Wars, a version of Bionicle that is taken in a wild new direction unlike any previous incarnation that manages to be incredibly good.

Eventually we’d have a Bayverse, and we’d all love to hate it.

Eventually we’d have a Prime, a version that went back to the G1 roots and adapted the G1 lore with a new, unique spin on it.

And, hopefully, so much more. If Bionicle never comes back, then so be it. It was beautiful while it lasted. But if it does make another return, let it be like this. Let each run be it’s own unique story that captures our attention in a brand new way.

6 Likes

I just want any construction set

PLEASE LEGO

5 Likes

I’m so done with these system based snot box mechs. So cheap looking compared to bionicle g1. Did you know we’re getting two more hulkbuster sets later this year?

6 Likes

i just want the hulkbuster from the original lego marvel game
why is this so hard lego

2 Likes

Well, I would love to see the story revisited in some way whether in the past set before the start of the main storyline or in the future after the series’ end. Either way, any setting should allow for new fans to enter a new story without relying heavily on the lore while us fans get to go back to our Bionicle universe.

Also, if Lego decides to reboot Bionicle one more time I would like to see a team cohesion between the set designers and writers and such. I mean stuff like having Hydraxon’s mask be a freaking helmet while we get actual helmets later is ridiculous. Or the infamous Love is Not Canon.

Heck, I feel Lego has dropped the ball on creating their own action figure line. Like the way mask packs from the first few years could’ve been their own unique gimmick for the rest of Bionicle’s run to compete with other action figure lines. I think Hero Factory was marketed as a “create your own hero” kinda thing but Bionicle kinda unknowingly did that already.

In short, give us more Kanohi and more story please!

2 Likes

They lost interest in Action Figure lines like half-way through G1’s run, lol. Those themes for whatever reason always stayed isolated from the rest of LEGO’s portfolio, and LEGO treated them as such. Bionicle could have easily become as widely successful and recognized as something like Transformers, but because LEGO thought Action Figure lines don’t quite fit with their brand image, they gave up on them before they could reach their full potential.
It should come as no surprise that they eventually completely died down, when LEGO wasn’t even that concerned about their success to begin with.

4 Likes

I want Bionicle back because story-based toys make me happy, building things makes me happy, and I just like constraction sets way more than system (and they’re easier on my wallet size-wise).

5 Likes

Dude.All i want is the story to be back,our original dudes back,and for lego to completely drop the quote-on-quote child friendly nonsense that was hero factory and g2 bionicle,and bring the characters back.There is still conflict yet to be resolved:The great beings.Not only that,what about brutaka getting stuck with the cursed great being?All this plot was thrown away,even though it could have been useful and keep bionicle going.

1 Like

The plot was too much to bring in new fans. If it continued now, it’d have a tiny and shrinking customer base. Not a viable business decision.

Remember that LEGO is a corporation first and foremost. They need to make money, they can’t just keep making BIONICLE stories if there’s no money in it. They have several very good reasons to stop doing BIONICLE, both G1 and in general, chief among them that there’s just low public interest.

7 Likes

Well they could the the ninjago route and make each year largely self contained maybe with makuta or one main villain being the Garmadon of the series.

1 Like

personally I believe that if bionicle were to ever come back the best thing to do would be to make a completely new universe, that has elements of the original. Sort of like G2 but done better.

3 Likes

This is the unfortunate truth.

Perhaps if they sold comics per subscription it could’ve continued straight after, but now its definitely too late

2 Likes

No matter when they ended, there were always going to be loose ends. That’s just the nature of Bionicle.

Someone stated earlier in this topic that there were plans for like five more years of story. Because as far as the writers were concerned, there was no end in sight. There was never going to be an end in sight. They were just gonna keep writing and writing and continuing to set up future stories as long as Lego wanted to keep making Bionicle.

And then, Lego wanted to stop, so they wrote an ending. I don’t think things would’ve felt any more resolved had the cancellation come five years later. A perfect ending that tied everything up with a neat, little bow was just never gonna happen.

And I don’t think Bara Magna was an awful place to end it. It feels kinda similar to how the Harry Potter series is structured. Books 1-6 all revolve around shenanigans at Hogwarts, and then book 7 breaks away from that for a final, climactic chapter that also kinda circles back to untold beginnings.

Honestly, it probably would’ve even made more sense to end it in Karda Nui, from a story perspective, but I’m definitely glad we got the 2009 sets (one of my favorite years set-wise). Obviously, I’m bummed that we didn’t get more Bionicle, but it had to end eventually. The way it ended isn’t really an issue for me.

8 Likes

That would not be a popular pivot given the heavily story-driven nature of the line previously. Aside from that, constraction in general was experiencing a decline, revitalized only briefly by Hero Factory. The writing was kind of on the wall for constraction for awhile.

1 Like

We’ll then make it a mecha / system theme. I could see bionicle being something like one of those fantasy anime’s with mecha plus then the mech figures could be modular to allow for combination. If not just pure system like the system bionicle sets.

Besides I’m not saying all episodic. Characters could still evolve and have some plots that don’t particularly rely on the toy side. Some continuation but if you happen to like a single year it wouldn’t require much more then new figures and some parts.

And wasn’t this already proven with G2? They took the Bionicle story in a very different direction, clearly taking notes from Ninjago’s wild succuss, and it didn’t go well.

1 Like

What do you mean? G2 sold well!

2 Likes

Well as well as something with absolutely no advertising can sell.

I want it back mostly because I like the sets. I just like how they look, so it would be cool to get more. It would be a bonus if this was also supplemented by stuff like video games, books, maps of the world, etc.

2 Likes