Your favorite Historical Figure

Christian Faber and Varderan

4 Likes

How would this be controversial? Oh wait… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I also like Robespierre. Sure, he did some bad stuff (like, REALLY bad stuff), but I find him an interesting character.

4 Likes

He denied them of there economical rights, and because of that, the south wanted there own economic system. I recommend you read Lincolns forth debate with Douglas to understand his true stand on slavery.

Edit: sorry man, I gave you some false information. It was the forth debate not the second.

Full debate for anyone who is interested in the truth about Lincoln:
http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/the-lincoln-douglas-debates-4th-debate-part-i/

@Political_Slime, sure thing.

So guys

Remember the rule against political discussion? Because apparently our beloved Moderator does not. :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as Historical Figures go, there are a few people I like. Charles Bulfinch was a cool guy, and designed some cool stuff. Thucydides was also cool, finding real accounts of history.

6 Likes

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky who have created cosmology as a valuable science.

2 Likes

Sorry about that. I can get a bit defensive at times when it comes to history.

1 Like

Carl Sagan

2 Likes

I really like Archimedes. He is such an interesting guy and set the standard for the crack-pot inventor.

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/69/75569-004-3B260631.jpg

I enjoy Socrates. One of my favorite stories about him was when he visited the Oracle of Athens. The Oracle said he was the wisest man in all of Athens. Socrates denied this, believing he made many wrong decisions and that there had to be wiser people then him.

As such, he went around asking the philosophers of Athens about how wise they were. He did not find a single philosopher who claimed they could be wrong. As such, he was quite angered about their arrogance. But then he remembered what the Oracle said, about him being the wisest. Socrates realized that since he was the only one to acknowledge that he himself could be wrong, he was the wisest, knowing that he himself makes mistakes.

3 Likes

Alexander the Great
Dr. Michio Kaku
Nikola Freaking Tesla
So many others I don’t really have the time or energy to name right now.

4 Likes

My mother

5 Likes

That’s a good question.

People like scientists and peace activists come to mind.

Like maybe Ghandi, Dr.MLK, Ben Franklin, Tesla, and Einstein?

I really can’t say for sure though

1 Like

Socrates is great :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Luke Skywalker.

Man, what a hero, blowing up the death star like that. So heroic.

(joking btw)

4 Likes

Let’s keep it historical and not have fictional characters.

1 Like

I legitimately have
no freaking idea

5 Likes

What about Erik the Red? I hear he’s a pretty cool guy for discovering Greenland.

1 Like

Albert Einstein, my childhood hero, same religion as me, faced discrimination. Nazis wanted him dead, he continued to work. He revolutionized science, went from patent clerk to the person that people use his last name to describe genius. He was even offered to become the president of Israel, but Einstein denied it honorably. One of the most awesome things about Einstein is that even while he was a professor at Princeton University, he would help grade school kids with their math homework, no modern celebrity is as kind or as good as a role model as Albert Einstein. Some of his greatest quotes:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity. And I’m not sure about the universe.

6 Likes

I did not know that. Learn something new everyday :stuck_out_tongue: