I've just posted some new updates to Book 3! Details:
- There is now a written version of the 2003 flash game "The Legend Continues" (made to promote the Mask of Light movie) included in the Complete version of Book 3
- "I emerged in Onu-Koro and made my way here. - added missing quote mark at end of sentence
- "the Manas saw the molten lava closing in on upon them" - removed extra "on"
- "Another steep cliff side still lay between him and the top of the volcano!" - removed space in "cliffside"
- "'J-Jaller?' he called, racing forward. 'JALLER! Oof -'" - dash following "oof" was getting pushed to new line, which looked weird. I moved the "oof" to the next line with it, which looks cleaner
- Fixed a typo in one of the last comic pages (in issue 15, the "epilogue): Vakama says "And so, here was" instead of "And so, there was" - this is now fixed
EDIT: I know it's only been a couple hours since I made this post, but I just made one more small fix: there were a few usages of "koro" in Book 3 that were capitalized when they shouldn't have been, which are now fixed (for reference: Koro is capitalized if it's part of a village's name, like Ga-Koro, but is lower-case if used generally, just referring to villages)
EDIT 2/26/2019: BIG UPDATE TIME
So, this is something I've been planning for a long time now. It's taken this long because A) it's just been a decent bit of work, and B) I wanted to hold off on it until more proofreading had been done on the compilation as-is.
Anyway, without further ado: the multimedia update! Biological Chronicle Books 1, 2, 5, and 8 now include QR codes - which are also clickable (or tappable on mobile) links - in places where there is a piece of video media that covers the same story as a given passage of text. These links will send you to the video for that scene on Youtube - and these videos have had all typos edited out, and are trimmed down so they fit to canon (the same as the compilation text). This way, readers can read the text version, or watch the video version of scenes that have one. Huge thanks to Peri for sending me the necessary files to run/record the '01 and '02 Flash animations at their original framerate!
These QR codes have brackets next to them that indicate the text that they correspond to. If there is not a bracket next to a QR code, then its video corresponds to everything up through the end of the chapter (which usually just means the whole page it's on).
Since I'm not sure if everyone will like these, I have made separate versions of Books 1, 2, 5, 8, and the complete collection which don't include these links (on a related note, I've also changed the version lists in the first post to bulleted lists, in an effort to make them more readable).
Some other small updates that I've just posted:
- Fixed a few ellipses in Book 1 and Book 10 that had an extra space in front of them
- Removed the single-pixel-wide borders (some remnant of the digital conversion process I used) on the left and right of the comic page at the beginning of chapter 13 in Book 1
- I fixed the alignment of this comic page as well - its top edge was slightly below the top of the page
- Added missing "End Chapter" to the end of the last of the '05 comics in one version of Book 5 (apologies, I don't remember which version was missing it - but they should all have it now)
That's it for now! I hope people like having this new option to view the original video format of some parts of the story.
EDIT 4/26/2019: Update time again! I've just made a large number of fixes to Book 4, as well as some minor fixes in Books 1, 3, 7, 8, and 9.
Before I get to the details: I'm currently looking for any and all title suggestions for the volumes of Biological Chronicle. I've heard from some readers that they would prefer different Book titles, so I'm going to spend some time taking submissions and then hold some polls to choose the final names. Please, if you have any ideas/suggestions for new titles - or if there are any titles you really want to stay unchanged - let me know!
Now, the update details:
- "Suddenly, another stone lands hard upon the ground nearby." - Some versions had an unnecessary paragraph break above this line
- “Want to give us a hand? A farmer’s work is never done. It’s up to us to farm all the heat in Ta-Koro.” - Some versions had an unnecessary paragraph break above this line
- “[…] new Kolhii Champion, eh?” says Marka as she sees her “Well, stranger things have happened. [...]” - Added a period after "sees her" (this line is only in the Complete version)
- “It is bad enough the Bohrok-Kal menaced the island [...]” - this scene takes place when the Bohrok-Kal are still an active threat, so I've changed "menaced" to "menace"
- "For years, the Toa have believed me defeated" (from first page of Rise of the Rahkshi comic, which is chapter 20 or 28 depending on the version) - Years cannot canonically have passed, so I've edited the comic text to "The Toa believed me defeated"
- The spheres were created in every metru - This line refers to Kanoka, which are not spheres. Changed from "The spheres" to "They"
- we had to save the ‘heart of the city’. - Period moved to before apostrophe
- Me? Why would he want to outdo me? Vakama thought - Un-italicized Vakama's name
- When Muaka lifted his right forepaw to strike - Muaka is not a name, so I added "the" before "Muaka"
- "I hope so," Whenua powered down his drills. - Changed comma after "so" to period
- But I’ll get them! - Added missing quotation mark to beginning of line
- [...]two creatures crowded close to him. “N – n – no.” - replaced long, spaced dashes with hyphens
- To his trained eye, it was abvious - Fixed spelling of obvious
- Badly fix-patched chute, cut-severed end… why am I suprised? - Fixed spelling of "surprised"
- dragging Vhisola and Orkahm behind her." - Removed unnecessary quotation mark at end of sentence
- So rather than run from them -" - The dash at the end was getting pushed to the next line, so I manually moved "them" to the next line so it looks better
- [...]bad things tend to happen whenever he's out my sight - Added "of" between "out" and "my"
- Blank page between chapters (chapters 26/27 in the standard version)
- Whenua turned back to his friends, saying. “Hopefully - Replaced period after "saying" with comma
- something else – something awful and I was bound like this. - Added missing "–" after "awful"
- Ko-Matoran have never liked crowds. - The use of "have" instead of "had," along with the context of the line, makes it appear that this was meant to be italicized as a continuation of Nokama's thought, so I've done so
- in one direction and brought the powers bursts near to each other - Removed s from the end of "powers"
- what would result if we combined out powers? - Changed "out" to "our"
- Matoran surfed on disks, over the undulating floor trying to launch their Kanoka - Moved comma from after "disks" to after "floor"
- One instance of Lhikan misspelled as "Lhikon"
- They decided we Toa were a threat to the Metru Nui's security (from second comic page of chapter 39) - Removed "the" before "Metru Nui"
- recovering from his first “solo flight.” - Matau has flown before this scene, so I've removed the word "first"
- Ask him if the Dark Hunters trespassed with a ‘tall Matoran.’“ - Fixed end quote mark so that it's facing the right way now
- For Toa used to the crowds and tall buildings of their metrus, - Removed s from the end of metru (which is the plural and the singular)
- Krekka and Nidhiki were flanking the vehicle in their flight mode. - Added an "s" to the end of "mode," since the text as-is suggests they share a flight mode
- now hung almost motionless in mid air. - Removed space in "midair"
- Too bad there are no carving-signs saying, ‘This Way to Safe Spot’,” - Moved comma inside apostrophe
- The telescopic lense built into his Mask of Power - Fixed spelling of "lens"
- entire schools of fish were launching themselves out of the water at the Lhikan. - Italicized "Lhikan" (since it refers to the boat)
- One squid like Rahi reached out with its tentacle - Added hyphen to "squid-like"
- Fixed a number of periods and commas placed outside of quotation marks instead of inside
- Replaced a number of hyphens at end of quotes with "–" (basically did a find and replace for -" to –" and -?" to –?")
Books 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, and 9:
- Changed all instances of "mid-air" to "midair" for consistency (they were used interchangeably)