Brotherhood of Makuta: Moldavanka

Name: Moldavanka (mall - duh - von - kuh)
Assigned region: none
Kanohi: Faxon, mask of Kindred

Backstory:

Moldavanka was created in the Antidermis vat in the extreme south of the Matoran universe. Some of the very first Rahi that he created includes the Dagger Spider and the various breeds of Gafna. Unlike his brothers, Moldavanka was not solely concerned with creating Rahi, rather he also enjoyed observing their interactions with each other and other species. About three centuries after his creation, he authored a field guide to the Rahi of the Southern Continent, which he later distributed to the local Matoran villages to help them become adapted to coexisting with the newly introduced fauna. One of the copies fell into the possession of Toa Jovan, who would later hand it off to a Matoran named Velika.

Moldavanka spent very little time interacting with other Makuta, as he was often found among his own creations. Some of his brothers and sisters would grow suspicious of his lack of participation in the Brotherhood’s activities. He was frequently within his laboratory located in the southern part of the Southern Continent, or in the surrounding areas.

Moldavanka observing an interaction between a Dagger Spider and a Kinloka

About twelve years following the Matoran Civil War, Moldavanka engineered a sniper rifle for himself. After discovering the enjoyment that he found in building weapons, he went on to craft several other projectile weapons that he sold to foreign markets. Three years later, he would assemble the powerful Spear of Fusion, which he used as his primary weapon for the coming centuries.

The introduction of Teridax’s plan had little effect on Moldavanka. When he was forced to choose a side, he went with Teridax because he suspected that the odds would be stacked against him if he tried to defend the old Brotherhood leadership. After the coup, he continued to create and observe his Rahi, having very little concern for the politics of his organization.

About 14,000 years prior to the arrival of the Toa Mata on Mata Nui, Moldavanka sold his Spear of Fusion to a Dark Hunter named Spinner. Moldavanka witnessed him test it out on a Toa of Earth and a Toa of Fire. The result was the Dark Hunter now known as Prototype.

About a year later, when Teridax learned that the Spear had fallen out of the hands of the Brotherhood, he sent a company of Teleportation Rahkshi to finesse it from Spinner. They delivered it to Mangaia, where it remained until the arrival of the Piraka.

Moldavanka was rarely sent on missions by the Brotherhood, and was seldom seen by his brothers and sisters. At several points in time, Teridax considered assassinating him due to his lack of involvement, however he decided against doing so.

Moldavanka created temporary distress among a Toa team when he murdered one of its members, a Toa of Stone, for disturbing one of his Rahi while he was observing its behavior. The Toa team attempted to confront him to avenge their fallen comrade. When they couldn’t find him in his usual residence, they split up to search for him. He used this opportunity to pick each of them off while they were separated.

Moldavanka would find his demise approximately five years before the arrival of the Toa Mata. Seeking to create a Rahi that existed without requiring a physical body, he injected a strain of specially designed viruses into a large canister filled with superheated plasma. Unfortunately for him, the contents of the canister grew too hot, and caused an explosion that destroyed the canister’s walls and melted his protosteel armor. His antidermis essence began to leak out, which was then incinerated in the hot gasses. The part of his laboratory that wasn’t destroyed in the explosion was later looted by the Order of Mata Nui, and many of his researches and findings are now located in their archives on Spherus Magna.

Equipment:

Moldavank frequently utilized his Kanohi Faxon in his various encounters with his Rahi. Other tools that he utilized included the Spear of Fusion (until he sold it to Spinner), twin short blades, two energy hooks, and his sniper rifle. His twin energy hooks could be summoned into existence at will, however he would typically save them for tougher battles.

All weapons

Sniper Rifle

Twin Short Swords

Twin Energy Hooks

Spear of Fusion

Powers:

Like all Makuta, Moldavanka has access to the 42 Kraata Powers, the ability to create Kraata, and the ability to absorb other entities into his substance. Aside from this, he considered his extensive knowledge of Rahi lore and society to be his strongest tool, as he would rarely do anything other than study his creations.

Pictures from all angles:

14 Likes

It’s very lanky - nut that is to be expected from an Inika build…the legscare short and the black kibble makes no sense…7/10 decent

1 Like

What exactly is a “kibble”?

1 Like

Uncalled for parts that do nothing but hinder mobility and visual appeal.

Are you referring to the two black plates on the legs?

1 Like

Yes…

1 Like

Those are there to give him the appearance that he’s wearing something similar to a samurai hakama. I was also planning on making them folding glider wings, but I decided to scrap that idea and keep them for purely aesthetic purposes.

3 Likes

I’d like to point out that in Some cases it does have a function, but very rarely. Mostly in lego transformers.

3 Likes

Well…yes, that’s true…but they serve only the transformating function.

2 Likes

Fusion+Combustion. Fuses things and sets them on fire.

~W12~

3 Likes

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

3 Likes

Great backstory! Only thing that should be changed is this:

There is just a single Antidermis pool.

But that’s really just a minor thing.
I personally love the inclusion of the Spear of Fusion into his backstory - that would suit canon lore very well.

The MOC though …
The arms are not too special but work for me, the torso could be a little less relying on Inika build and those Hordika forearms stick out a little bit too much in my opinion.
But to get the MOC accepted you’ll definitely have to do something on the legs: Upper legs are fine and that panel/skirt thing works pretty well, but those feet are, honestly, horrible.

I would suggest making the torso longer and more custom to make the arms more proportionate and strongly reckomend you to redoing the feet.
Of course more customized arms wouuld also be nice.

So, in short: To get this MOC accepted you’ll at least have to:

• “fix” the proportions at least somewhat
  • add different feet
1 Like

I remade the feet and gave him custom forearms. Retook the pictures and replaced them in the OP as well.

Although I would argue that the MOC isn’t entirely dependent on the Inika build, since it only utilizes the upper torso, as the lower half is custom-made to allow for trunk flexion and extension. But that’s up to you to decide.

1 Like

The feet need work. I’m not sure what to do to improve them, but they just look… odd.

I really like the backstory.

Proportions are much better now, but while the feet do look better than before, they’re still very odd.

It probably is the whole thing with his “realistic” center of gravity - try putting both your feet one step in front of you while still staying upright - you’ll totally loose balance.
To realisticly support the body the feet have to be below it, not in front.
Maybe digitigrade legs would be something you should go for, something like this:

I feel like they would fit Moldavanka well. Although I would recommend changing the upper leg armoring if you’re going for it - Inika or Metru armor perhaps if you want to keep things simple.

As to the lower arms - they’re ok I guess but elbow movement is pretty restricted, right?
The back of the upper torso could perhaps also need some armoring

2 Likes

Like this?

2 Likes

Yes, exactly!

Although it would probably look better if you pose the legs with the knees sticking out in the front (like I posed my leg example) On your pic the legs look a little stiff because of how you posed them to get the feet underneath the body.

The liftarms you added to the back of the feet aren’t perfect, but I can live with that. Clawed feet work well.

The armoring of the upper back looks a little “forced” honestly, but it’s better than before and it’s the front that matters most anyway.

Pose the legs better and take a picture of the MOC in some cool pose (take care that the weapon is fully on it as well, I would prefer the Spear of Fusion), add this pic to the first post and I’ll accept the MOC for the project.

If you want, though, I could try giving you some more tips to improve Moldavanka - but that’s up to you.

Updated the first picture in the OP. I found it very difficult to pose it in any position other than standing upright, so this is probably the best shot I’ll be able to get.

And yes, I’d appreciate any more advice you’ve got. If you couldn’t tell already, I’m not the most experienced MOCer, so I’ll take any tips you got.

1 Like

Ah, now those legs are much better than the original one’s, don’t you think?
I’ll accept the MOC now - thanks for participating!

So, since you would like to get more tips - let’s move on to the arms.
Only one more thing about the legs: You could think about something better looking for the back of the feet, those liftarms don’t look that well.

Ok, the arms. Currently I think there are two major things that could be made better:

• elbow articulation
  • the look of the forearms

I personally think that the best “articulation-build” for arms is that of the G2 Charakters, I’ll try to explain it:
Shoulder= balljoint
Upper part of upper arm = ball socket
Lower part of upper arm = balljoint
Upper part of lower arm = ball socket
Lower part of Lower arm = balljoint

This however isn’t achievable with non-custom G1 builds as far as I can tell.

So I would suggest you try building something not quite unlike the parts with which you connected the feet to the lower legs - one end with a balljoint, one side with a ball socket. Then you put two of them together and add a hand and you have a pretty well articulated custom arm that only needs some armoring to make it look good.

However I admit that this is pretty part consuming, so if you don’t have the parts for that I would recommend using molded parts - although they would probably make the proportions seem a little strange again - best solution for that in turn is to make the torso longer.

But for now let’s concentrate on the arms.

Nice to see a makuta with a unique look with the coattails.

1 Like