Halo: Into the Howling Dark V

Lobster grabs at his armoured chest. The pain was unbearable. He could feel himself being torn apart. He didn’t scream, but a horrible noise escaped from deep withing his throat.

Before Santiago could reach out to his friend, he felt his armour seize. It wasn’t just jammed, it was crushing him. His limbs where bent and broken in horrific and unnatural ways. A roar filled the air as he struggled against death.

Spanner was horrified. She stumbled backwards, and crashed to the ground. She was paralysed. How could this happen. Her armour couldn’t protect Lobster, and it was the very thing killing Santiago. She tried to weep, but she couldn’t. She couldn’t breather. All she could do was stare as her world crumbled.

Dok grabbed at his tools. He took a step towards his three collapsed friends. His peg leg snapped, and he crashed to the ground. He heaved himself towards Spanner, and as he wrapped his metal fingers around her armour, the bullets hit. He felt a last moment of agony, as his unarmoured body was ripped to shreds, from guns he could not see.

The Red Baron was merrily playing with the engineers. the game had complex rules, that none of his crew mates fully understood. He was laughing his piercing laugh when the flame engulfed him. It melted through his armour as the cargo ship was split in half.

Ket didn’t have time to register the explosion, before he was made into nothing. He was working as he so often did, tearing apart guns, to make the biggest, baddest new weapons he could. He misjudged a difference in power, or he missmeasured two components, it didn’t matter, what he created was oblivion.

Farewell.

1 Like

“Ana… I’m sorry.”

1 Like

Kaitlynn looked back at Sky and sighed, she quickly rushed over to Ana. “I can’t help right now, but here.” She said handing Ana her trauma kit. “Use my supplies if you don’t got enough.” She said returning to Daylight.

2 Likes

Sky hugged Ana like she was an angel taking her to heaven.

2 Likes

“You’ll be okay Sky…” Ana said holding back tears. Her hands tremebeld as she tried her best to help her.

3 Likes

The city was empty looking, the streets were significantly run down. It was as if a surprise was awaiting them, requiring them to be careful and secretive when navigating it.

“Funny… I thought I’d always be strong enough to protect you…” Sky chuckled weakly.

1 Like

since Gregs ship was apparently shot down which only makes sense because if I recall correctly it never really came within range, was never noticed by the LR, was very possibly never classified as to what kind of ship it actually was and the chances that it would attack from a position where the Shortstraw can fire its mac cannon offensively and effectively are very low. So it crashes far away from the city and Harold and Greg survived and climb out of the wreckage.
“what was that” Greg said his helmeted head turning to look towards the pile of rubble his ship had become
“no clue, it literally came out of nowhere” Harold replied as he caught up to Greg and looked back towards the ship
“that doesn’t make sense, we should have scrubbed this mission when we had the chance and just came back later” Greg said angrily as he began to scan the horizon “lets head for the city. May as well actually complete some kind of objective” Greg said with a huff
“yes sir… guess we have to hoof it?” Harold said as he started to walk towards the city
“one-day I’m going to put a bullet through your brain” Greg said “and no we won’t be walking” Greg said as he pointed towards a warthog that had survived the crash.
Greg climbed into the driver seat while Harold took the gunner position and they began to head towards the city

4 Likes

Blair got into the passengers seat before they left, popping her neck. “Talk about a hard landing.”

Kaitlynn looked around at the city before raising her left fist, not knowing if they were really alone, she pointed two fingers to the left to assign Charlie to move out, then to the right to move Bravo out, then forward for Alpha to follow her.

2 Likes

“Yeah. hopefully, we can find transport in the city” Greg said as he quickly looked at her

2 Likes

“Makes me wish we had a drone, be easier to scout the city. Anyway, once we have transportation what’s next?” She asked checking the ammo and her scope for her battle rifle, the reflex sight flickering from minor damage from the crash.

2 Likes

“I just need to check in on something. Its the whole reason i had to take valuable time away from the project im currently focusing on”

2 Likes

“Better hope this project doesn’t end up like the last one with the crazy A.I.” She said turning to look at Harold.

2 Likes

“oh he doesn’t even know what project he is supposed to be assisting me with, although sometimes I wonder if I even know what it is” Greg said as he began thinking to himself as they got closer to the city

2 Likes

“Well when you work for a part of the government that doesn’t even trust itself, you should have seen that coming.” She said looking back to the city.

2 Likes

"Sorry Aries. Catina said. “But I was put in charge of this team, and we are trying to round up any survivors from the crash. Plus my own mother is still out there, and I sure as f#ck want to make it there to see if she’s alright.” Catina said, putting her foot down, as team Charlie started heading west as Kaitlynn directed them.

“Now keep quiet and keep your eyes open. We may also run into UNSC or ONI in this city.” Catina told Aries, as she drew her M6D, and kept her eyes open for both friend or foe.

2 Likes

As Catina team headed west, a drop pod could be seen in the distance, it’s crew was engineers from the ship, trying to figure a plan out.

Kiana team had no luck so far.

Kaitlynn’s team headed north, Kaitlynn prayed quietly to herself that the medical team was alive, and that hopefully Blake was taken with them.

2 Likes

Catina sent Kaitlynn a com. “We have found a team of Engineers that escaped The Short Straw in a drop pod. Over.”

1 Like

kiana lead her team into the city “everyone be quiet, and keep your distance from each other, not far enough where we can’t see each other, just enough where an explosion won’t kill us” she ordered “nos you’re the only one of us who can cloak so you’re an exception, just keep quiet and look for survivors where you can”

“understood” Leygall said as he cloaked and disappeared from the group.

“the rest of you keep your eyes open, only speak in private comms, and keep your guard up”

2 Likes

Aries skipped along beside her. “Do we need to be stealthy? This place is most definitely abandoned.” Aries said.

“Ana, I’m so happy to have you here.” Sky said.

Grace nodded and followed Kiana.

1 Like

As Kiana group advanced they came across a escape pod, though someone had gotten here first, as bullet casings could be seen lying around the escape pod, yet no bodies. Only blood and bullets.

“Roger that Catina, move in on them. Out.” She said advancing. They soon came across another pod, some of its crew had died on the impact, while the others seemed to have ran off to find shelter.

1 Like