Kanae's sport - Phantoka [Worlbuilding] [Characters] [Pitch]

I think it needs to be smaller if we put multiple in one set.

1 Like

Only two, if there’s one for each defender (which is the goalie in this game)

1 Like

Actually, if one match is in one set, there would be four disks, not 2.

2 Likes

Oh I see, I was thinking all the players would have them. In that case, the weights on the disk could double as a defensive function to knock away balls/disks.

So there are 2 defenders for each team? In either case, we could include 1 for each team in a set and those who “must have the complete game” could buy 2.

2 Likes

On my commute home, I was thinking about this topic. I see you discussed the discs more, but I have a different route to consider.

• 2-3 players per team are on the ground. They throw a disc back and forth to shoot in the goal. This part is similar to Ultimate Frisbee.

• There are multiple goals (like 10 per team), in the air. They could be large rings on posts like the ones in Quidditch. These goals are spread all around the arena instead of just at one end. They would be two different colors to differentiate each teams’ goals from the other.

• One extra member serves as goalie, and glides around above the arena to block shots. Windsuits would probably fit better (I’m still not sold on the disc riding). Due to the multiple goals, they need to follow the disc as it is passed around below, to be able to be near the closest goal that the players below toss it in. Blocked shots can be thrown down to their teammates (goalies can’t score).

• A possible option for the matoran on the ground is that the field is a bunch of platforms. They jump from one to another instead of just simply running down a field (gets some Kanaae acrobatics in there). When they have the disc, they stop on their platform and throw it to another player. You can only run/jump when you are going after the disc. (similar to the Akilini rule). There could be a pool below the platforms to catch those who slip or get knocked off.

3 Likes

I prefer the sport in the air but I could see there being a ground version.

I personally imagine the game taking place under the floating islands with the hoops hanging down from them. There would also be a gigantic net that would drape below the playing area in the case of someone falling.

3 Likes

This is sorta off topic, but what if the net… Is the ball? is like a trampoline?

3 Likes

First: I like how “…is the ball?” is still running strong :laughing:.

Second: That is brilliant!

1 Like

I agree, that’s pretty brilliant. Game balls (or players) would hit the goal and just bounce right back into play.

3 Likes

Why couldn’t just use different gear for different roles in the game?

Oh i forgot about that.

:laughing:
Disks for defenders, gliders for Flyers, and wingsuits for enders?

1 Like

I’m gonna make an organized version of the rules, so that you can put it in the initial post:

Insert Name Here (Gukko Hoop?)

1. There are 7 players per team, for a total of 14 players in-game. Positions on teams are as follows:
  • Spinners (2): defend the hoops used for scoring.
  • Gukkos (4): attempt to score points for the team.
  • Ender (1): responsible for prematurely ending each segment.
  1. Equipment is as follows for each player:
  • Rhotuka (Spinners): disc-like equipment meant for gliding and blocking players from scoring.
  • Gukko-Suits (Gukkos): aerodynamic suits used for Gukko players to fly.
  • Glider (Ender): used for high-speed flight to catch the Bryha.
  • Bryha (Ender): small, bird-like Rahi used to prematurely end segments.
  1. Matches are comprised of 3 segments, each segment lasting a maximum of 20 minutes. The Ender can prematurely end each segment by capturing the Bryha.
  2. Points are scored by Gukkos flying through hoops, which are guarded by the Spinners. Spinners are allowed to fly in front of Gukkos to block their path of travel using the underside of the Rhotuka.
  3. Physical contact is allowed, such as pushing or grappling, but damage to equipment results in the player(s) responsible being ejected from the game. Players ejected must be replaced.
2 Likes

Yeah these work great.

Here we go with the name discussion lol

Also how old is this game?

2 Likes

I’d say sometime before Year 1, maybe 40-50 years old?

2 Likes

I like the use of the Rhotuka term.

I don’t know about calling the scorers “Gukkos”. There will definitely be rahi with that name, and even though it is meant to reflect the rahi that they have in their region, I don’t think it should be both the suit name and the role. The suit is fine, just the player should have a different title. The other 2 roles are named after what they do, so maybe call them gliders, jets, etc. … or the ball.

The Bryha part seems like too much going on for one game. It’s not bad, but I don’t think it’s really needed.

2 Likes

Regarding scorers: Can’t really think of another name for them, aside from perhaps “Dashers,” “Divers,” or “Jets.” Actually, Jet might work?

How about Suihk, shortened from Suihkukone (Means Jet in Finnish, if there’s no language controversy?)

1 Like

That’s the main reason not to pick foreign words. All non-English words in G1 have been approved by LEGO already, so I don’t think other words should be the goto choice.

2 Likes

Yeah, we should probably stick to the G1 terms. Unless there are terms from G2 (shudders internally) we could use?

Soarers.

It’s not a word but whatever

1 Like