Ye Olde Original Poste
So this has recently become necessary due to the...rather large influx of mafia games recently. Anyway, as the one who introduced mafia to the forum, I'm going to lay down some basic general rules as to how mafia can be done.
Basically, the reasoning for this is that I don't want mafia to become the next Assassin's Creed, where a new installment is being released seemingly every other week and we've thrown so many games into the mix that we're diluting it beyond the point of all meaning. We're not there yet, but we're definitely heading in that direction. So to that end, these are the guidelines that anyone who wants to host a mafia game on these forums must follow.
1) All mafia games, from here on out, will be segmented into "waves." Waves will be distinguished by number, currently the third wave of mafia games is going on with Marendex's and Millsy's games, the second was Chro's and mine, and the fourth will be whoever hosts the next series of games after the current ones are done. There will be no mafia games outside of the ones in these waves, unless exceptions are made by the staff (see rule 3)
2) Hosts for these games will be chosen from a list of volunteers in the sign up topic. The number of games, also, will be determined from how many people sign up as well. If you want to host a mafia game, volunteer on the sign up topic for the next wave, or, alternatively, shoot me a PM.
3) In some cases, an extra game may be permitted. These may include various holiday themed mafia games, or a situation in which one of the two mafia games fell apart and the people in that game need something to do while the sister game is still running. These will be made on a case by case basis, and special rules will apply for choosing hosts (typically consulting the almighty RNG)
These rules will apply to every single mafia game created after this topic's creation. To those who opened extra side games before I made this, you're still ok. It's just we need some semblance of quantity control around here before mafia becomes the next trend topic
Also @Mesonak's supposed to be making a Games forum for us sometime soon. Chances are we'll only get it if you annoy him about it. Please do so
Update I: (1/28/16)
As some may have noticed, there hasn't really been a Mafia game in a long while now. As such, it's about time to update the rules.
1) Waves will no longer be existent. Unlike last March, we're no longer drowning in Mafia games, and as such having waves is pretty much pointless.
2) Anyone can host a mafia game, given a staff member's approval. If we get multiple game requests, we may choose to delay a game in order to not have too many games running at once. It's recommended you PM me (Slime) since I deal the most with the Mafia games, but not required.
That's pretty much all so
Update 2: (12/26/16)
Due to some recent games taking 3 months to complete, we've felt its time again to update mafia rules.
3) All games must not take longer than 1 month. This should really go without saying, but long mafia games are horribly dull and tedious. For the average Mafia game, a month should be plenty of time for players to make decisions. For games with more than 40 players, contact a staff member if you think a month will not be enough time.
Also, while we're not mandating this, we're highly recommending that GMs set a time limit for activities. It makes the game run a lot smoother, and is a good way to bypass inactive users.
4) Ghosting (dead players offering discussion and suggestions) is no longer allowed. Again, this should go without saying, but ghosting makes the game a lot less fun. It takes all the consequences of death and throws them out of the window. I know it sucks if you're eliminated early, but that's how the game works. Once you are dead, you are dead. The end.
Hopefully these rules will help in future mafia games, and keep the fun going for everyone!