The First Toa Team [WORLDBUILDING][PITCH][ARTWORK]

One thing that I’ve noticed in the Brickonicle is that not many people have discussed the first Toa. Only @ZceeNook’s pitches comes to mind. This is a pretty important subject, I think, because, as I have heard, “We don’t need to know where we’re going. We just need to know where we’ve been.”

THE PITCH

(In the pitch, I will be referring to the Toa by their given names, not the Spirit names and all that.)
The first Toa Team was created thousands of years ago, when the War of the Great Beings was at it’s height. The Elemental Gods, seeing no end in sight, betrayed their creators and turned to the Matoran. Each god chose a Matoran from their respective tribe, and granted them amazing power. From Mangai, the thrill-seeking Lhikan became Tahu, Toa of Fire. From Ihu, the quiet Krakua became Kopaka, Toa of Ice. From Motari, the mischievous Zaria became Pohatu, Toa of Stone. From Tiro, the excitable Jovan became Onua, Toa of Earth. From Naho, the idealistic Tuyet became Gali, Toa of Water. And finally, from Kanae, the timid Lesovikk became Lewa, Toa of Air.
These six were the chosen warriors to end the battle of the Great Beings, and succeeded in defeating two of the Brothers, Karzahni and Ekimu, imprisoning the former and placing into a restfull sleep the latter. But, the Third Brother, Makuta, proved the greatest challenge. He battled the Toa for many moons, neither slowing down or admitting defeat.
Through these battles, Lesovikk, formerly a very timid Matoran, gained a great confidence in him and his comrades. Lhikan, formerly a thrill-seeker, grew more mature and level-headed, learning to use his brain more than his brawn. Jovan, formerly very easily frightened, conquered his fears and became someone everyone could look up to. Zaria, formerly very mischievous, also learned greater maturity, knowing that there was a time and place for her jokes as well. Krakua, formerly very quiet, learned that sometimes, she would have to speak up for what was right.
However, one Toa did not turn out for the better. Tuyet began to have ideas of her own. In battle, they had all been exposed to the ideals of Makuta and his reasoning for warring with his brothers, but only Tuyet began to see some merit in his reasoning.
In a climatic final battle, it seemed that the Toa would finally and forever banish Makuta to his prison deep underground. But in the heat of the battle Tuyet turned against her companions. She attacked her former friends. Lesovikk had a clear shot, but could not bring himself to harm his former teammate. Lesovikk’s hesitation let Tuyet drown Jovan, Zaria and Krakua. Lhikan mustered all his power, bringing Tuyet down, and in his final act took a shot from Makuta meant for Lesovikk. Surrounded by the bodies of his fallen teammates and being the only standing between Makuta and the Matoran people, Lesovikk called on the power of the Elemental Gods and his fallen comrades and banished Makuta to his forsaken prison.
Racked with guilt because of the mistake that caused his teammates they’re lives, Lesovikk went into exile and began to lead a hermit’s life just outside of Kanae, and gave back the Toa power. He became a Matoran once more. To redeem himself, he found a fragment of the Mask of Time and began to guard it in the deep Kanae forests, the exposure giving him an exceptionally long life. He completely reinvented himself, becoming known only as the mysterious Kanaean, Bingzak.

I feel the need to explain myself on some of these decisions. For one, the discussion on the Nahoans on this weeks Podcast really sparked a lot of the ideas, because of when Tuyet was brought up. (Thanks @Jon and @IllustriousVar )believe this could work better than the ideas proposed, keeping her as a Toa and giving her famous betrayal subplot.
Also, in my mind, Lesovikk/Bingzak is a sort of hybrid Gandalf/Obi-Wan character, who’s always been there, and as @Bokarda pointed out, it works; Bingzak is supposed to be this Rahi-tamer, and Lesovikk circa G1 was a Toa with an abnormal connection to Rahi!
As always, C&C are welcome, and I will see you next time!

18 Likes

This is pretty interesting!

Did they ever say what happened to Ekimu? I don’t remember if he was put to sleep or not; honestly, I don’t know if his whereabouts were ever verified. Not too important at the moment, but my point stands.

The one thing I’m not sure about is having Lesovikk become Bingzak. From a temporal-physiological perspective (the best term I could use, sorry if I sound pretentious), that would make Bingzak thousands of years old without an explanation (unless he was cursed to live forever with no prospect of a swift release).

With all this in mind, the TTV had the idea of having golden masks acting as keys to open the Suva and reveal chambers filled with masks. What if those six masks were the original Toa masks of the six first Toa (Lesovikk having collected them for posterity)?

2 Likes

I was going to say the same as Bokarda about Lesovikk becoming Bingzak. The team right before the current one was hundreds of years ago. So the very first team would be way before that.

But the characters chosen for the first team are cool.

2 Likes

Both valid points, but I was kind of getting at a mixture of Gandalf and Obi-Wan; a hermit guy who’s just always been there, no telling how old he is, who acts a sort of guardian to everyone in the near vicinity, just trying to redeem himself.

Wait one second…yep, that’s added. Thanks, man.

1 Like

I can get behind that, but there just needs to be an explanation for his longevity. Maybe something to do with the Mask of Time? Actually, maybe he’s the guardian of the Kanae Fragment, which keeps him alive even after giving up his power?

1 Like

Witch one of them?

I got like … 5

And all of them are basicly deemed uncanon by this point…

2 Likes

I don’t think they need to have died by the hand of Tuyet, I’d prefer if the betrayal allowed Makuta to kill them, leaving only Lesovikk to do what you were talking about and go hermit.

2 Likes

Wow, the elemental god of water really screwed up when choosing. XD

I really like this idea but like my joke says, the water god is kind of implied to have poor judgement (not sure if this is even a big deal but I thought I’d point it out).[quote=“JediTimeLord824, post:1, topic:38562”]
One thing that I’ve noticed in the Brickonicle is that not many people have discussed the first Toa.
[/quote]
I spoke of them in less detail in this topic and with only slight changes it could fit perfectly with yours.

2 Likes

To be fair, it was the first time, and Tuyet would have been different.

This is why it’s been added to the list :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

True, but the other elemental gods might feel betrayed unless the elemental god of water drained all of the elemental energy from Tuyet upon her betrayal.

2 Likes

That’s true, and I completely forgot about that. XD

2 Likes

Did Lesovikk have the connection to Rahi because of the Faxon, or something else?

1 Like

It was cuz of the Faxon

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t stand Lesovikk becoming Lewa, mostly because it would mean Lesovikk would get the gender bend as well. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for She-Lewa, but Lesovikk is just a character that fits %100 better as a guy.

That’s not how the gender-bend works. The “modern day” Lewa is female because Vizuna is female, not because the spirit of Lewa is female. Therefore, Lesovikk would be a male Lewa.

2 Likes

Alright, I wasn’t aware of the whole spirit/title thing, I’m cool now.

3 Likes

Lesovikk might just be my favorite Toa of all time

1 Like

Naturally. He’s the best, after all :grin:

1 Like