Unpopular Opinions about Movies (and Television Shows)

bob disney would like a word

6 Likes

Spider-Man has been good but other then him Iā€™ll still see but Iā€™m not excited at all for any of the Disney stuff. Just a bunch of no names and sequels we donā€™t need; even the Disney + series I felt were just cashgrabs.
Doctor strange was even supposed to show up in wandavision at the end as setup for his movie; we got some random witch nobody cares about instead.

1 Like

That implies that Doctor Strange would have filled Agathaā€™s role in the show, which doesnā€™t seem likely. From what Iā€™ve heard Agatha was a part of the showā€™s idea from the beginning, not to mention that Strange being the secret, vaguely malicious villain of the show just doesnā€™t fit him at all. We didnā€™t get Agatha instead of Strange, we got Agatha (who we were always going to get) but not Strange (who wouldnā€™t have mattered anyways).

Agreed. While I can agree that the Prequels have more going on thematically than the Sequels, the Sequels are just fun movies with fun characters. except for rise of skywalker. that one goes too far

5 Likes

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Star Wars Topic

Well, back when I was a wee lad, I had some incorrect views:

Spider-Man 2 was great. Best of any non-Tom Holland live action Spider-Man films. Tobeyā€™s still my least favorite portrayal of the character, but I still deeply enjoy him.

And Iron Man 1 is also pretty good. I was just remembering wrong.

OH SHOOT, I said I liked Spider-Man 3? Can I have a dislike button if itā€™s for my own post?

As for a new opinion Iā€™ve developed, after rewatching Amazing Spider-Man 2 to prepare for No Way Home, I have realized that I actually really like it! Electroā€™s actually a surprisingly interesting villain with an incredibly unique motive that we donā€™t see a lot in superhero films. Now, I wish we could have focused more on him and waited to develop Harry Osborne into the Green Goblin in the second movie (because heā€™s a great Harry, terrible Goblin, literally my least favorite Spider-Man villain in the movies besides maybe 2007 Venom), but overall, the movie portrayed him in a way I am captivated by.

Also, Rhino. I actually love his design. Sony, how much do you need me to pay you to finish that scene? 'Cause Iā€™ll do it. Iā€™ll do it.

2 Likes

Nostalgia critic I think said it best; Mcguire had the best Peter and Garfield had the best Spider-Man.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that. I like to put it this way, which I saw somewhere:

Tobey Maguire is the foundation, the one people first fell in love with, without him, the others donā€™t exist, so in that way, heā€™s the best.

Andrew Garfield is the most comic-book accurate . You can just see it in the way he plays Spider-Man (though not necessarily Peter Parker), he does the quips, he does the flips, he wears theā€¦ drips, I guess. So, some say heā€™s the best for that reason.

Tom Holland, however, is the most cinematic Spider-Man. Heā€™s one that weā€™ve been able to grow up with, to watch develop not just in each movie, but between them. And heā€™s only just getting started, if No Way Home had anything to say. Thatā€™s why heā€™s my personal favorite. And also, heā€™s an absolute child, which I love.

4 Likes

I spent 20 minutes looking for spider man with the drip but I couldnā€™t find it

2 Likes

I donā€™t remember a time where this was ever an unpopular opinion.

I sacrificed logic for the rhyme, Iā€™m an English major, Iā€™m allowed to

Also, if you count the suit, the ASM2 suit is, like, top 3 Spider-Man suits in my book

You canā€™t catch me

Sorry, this was in response to my opener for the topic, I didnā€™t make that very clear:

I also kinda trashed on Iron Man 1. I have had a character arc since then.

2 Likes

The Lone Ranger Movie with Johnny Depp was actually decent.

Stranger Things Season 3 was horrible.

Only some of the MCU movies are excellent, most are just ok.

Code Geass is also very bad.

3 Likes

Definite agree

1 Like

I honestly liked most of them, but more so pre Endgame. After that itā€™s been kind of hit or miss for me.

3 Likes

The Disney + series have been decent but other then Spider-Man my excitement for the MCU is near 0 now

1 Like

Dang, was I the only person who really liked Shang-Chi

I do think thatā€™s fair. Besides No Way Home, Phase 4 hasnā€™t really been spectacular

Shang Chi was a great premise that was executed very well.

For the first half the movie. Then it got too fantastical and too slow.

3 Likes

I thought it was pretty great

1 Like

I only like the first two Harry Potter films. The franchise works best when the main cast are 10/11/12 year old children going on a whimsical fantasy adventure as opposed to teens or young adults. Also, the series has this uncomfortable progression where it expects you to take the magical world more seriously each time, when in reality the magical conventions they introduce become sillier (time turners, portkeys, apparition, horcruxes), while the characters are supposed to be growing up (and presumably moving on from this fantasy world). Additionally, there is very on-the-nose political commentary in the later films, which imo, is not what this whimsical fantasy adventure should be about. What if Thomas the Tank Engine started bringing up the Nazi party lmao. The series shouldā€™ve ended after Chamber of Secrets. They beat Voldemort and graduate from wizard school at the end of year two. Voldy doesnā€™t keep coming back. Heā€™s not the head of a terrorist group. He has two servants (Quirrel and Lucius) and thatā€™s it. His sole goal is to torment Harry, not infiltrate the government and build muggle sandwich statues. Ronā€™s rat isnā€™t a grown man. Snape didnā€™t have a crush on Harryā€™s mom.

6 Likes

Thomas And the Magic Railroad is actually pretty funny.

1 Like

The movies, or the books?

Cause when your first two novels are wildly successful, youā€™re going to write more.

1 Like