Bad Set Design Choices

wait, hewkii mahri had both hands

didn’t he?

*looks up Hewkii Mahri

oh sweet mother of @yran its true

12 Likes

I still think Irnakk is pretty hilarious.

hahahaha

Turaga Lhikan stole it

6 Likes

Expose ball socket in nearly every 2015 Bionicle set.

COM’ON LEGO IT’S 2015, IS IT THAT HARD TO COVER IT UP?

4 Likes

am I the only one who really doesn’t care?

it’s not that big a deal, it’s barely noticable.
it’s certainly not enough to call it bad set design.

11 Likes

you’re not alone, they don’t bother me at all

1 Like

In all fairness, I don’t think his right arm looks all the bad. The Cordak launcher is integrated as a gauntlet pretty well.

Yes, because pieces covering them would interfere with the function.

6 Likes

2003 Same Bohrok from the past year just with more silver, its more greed than bad set design
2004 Vahki, Clone Sets, a step backwards in movement,
2005 Hordika one large and one small arm and their legs and feet. Most pieces are in a permanent bend. Rahaga are clone sets and reuse the rahkshi heads.
2006 Reusing 2004 Metru masks, wally simplified chibi bodies.
2007 Lime green pieces always brake, low quality plastic, totally not what lego is about
2008 Av Matoran build is the worst Matoran build in Bionicles history, so simplistic and completely lacking any movement in the arms and legs, heads are also weirdly streched outwards and all the pieces brake easily because they are the same lime quality. Also the silver and gray fetish that year was just too much. The sets felt more like robots instead of biomechanical beings.
2009 Same for the last year in terms of the av matoran builds, but by this point the Inika build overstayed its welcome. Its not very innovating or creative (which what lego is about) to see the same body shape and pieces being use constantly, The Metru hips have been the most used piece and have not given options for new and creative builds
You ether have an very skinny, anorexic toa figure, or you a some bulky pile of mess. Im glad the Inika build has been dealt with.
2010 Stars are all Av Matoran build, not much to say except , NO.
2015 Loss and Scorpio actions are not that exciting and take a lot from the set, The have barely any movement and while Loss has at least a consistent color scheme, Scorpio is all over the place, not to mention the out of place mask.

5 Likes

It wasn’t Lego’s fault, there was a cooling error in all the lime pieces in 07.

5 Likes

A cooling error eh?..Did that effect all Lego lime green pieces though?

2 Likes

It mainly affected the constraction parts, considering Lego Bricks are not known to break easily.

2 Likes

I don’t hate Skull Skorpio, but he does have a lot of bad design choices. Especially those claws. They are just dreadful.

4 Likes

@TeslaEffect

cracks knuckles

Okay bro, here we go. :wink:

The Metru, Visorak, Hordika, Piraka and Inika were clone sets. I don’t see how that argument holds water. As for the “step backwards in movement”, how exactly? Their staffs had a heckuva lot more movement then the Rahkshi staffs.

They were deformed. That was their gimmick.

What do you mean by this? That some of the parts were rubbery? That Many of the limbs had bends in them, just like previous Toa?

Not only did they give us sweet new colours for the heads, but the Rahkshi heads go along with their “deformed” look that the designers wanted.

Yet again, they were supposed to be deformed. But their bodies were simple compared to what? The uber flat, open-backed Metrutoran?

@Sakurai is right about the cooling thing. And besides, that’s a matter of quality control, not set design.

They were pretty much on the same level as the much-revered Toa Mata and Nuva BTW. :wink:

I’d argue that we did get a few new variations like Strakk and even Malum.

Neither were the Bohrok, Toa Mata, Rahkshi, Visorak or most other early BIONICLE waves that used tons of unique specialized parts.

IMO, 2009 actually brought us some of the best Inika Builds from a design and color point of view.

At least the Stars all looked pretty good as small sets.

There was some friendly pushback @TeslaEffect . If you disagree with my points, please counter. I love debating. :smiley:

9 Likes

I would’ve given Kazi an actual head so that way he could see where he was going. It’s hard to believe a guy with no eyes could’ve joined the Matoran Resistance.

5 Likes

He reuses Carapar’s torso. :unamused:

I wouldn’t say best…but they were unique. @TeslaEffect is right about the limbs being very skinny. The forearm and lower leg pieces were designed to be used for shorter sets like the Toa Metru and Hordika, and the Rahkshi legs were specifically designed to be skinny for the serpentine look. Using them on taller sets, let alone gladiators made them look scrawny, when gladiators are supposed to be armored and bulky from head to toe. Worst examples of this are Perditus, Vastus and Tarix

3 Likes

Perditus wasn’t really a glatorian in his set version, he was a vehicle pilot and was probably armored down so his vehicle could be faster. =P
Also, neither Vastus nor Tarix use the rahkshi legs, and while I’ll agree that Vastus was definitely lacking in both bulk and over-all armor, I think Tarix looks like a formidable and armored fighter.

I don’t understand why people take recolored pieces and say “It’s reused, it’s not good.” There’s a lot of merit in reusing and recoloring pieces. They made a variant for kids to mess around with, and that’s the real value in the pieces. Who cares if it’s a reused piece? What does it matter to set design? If it looks bad, fine, gripe on it for that, not for being reused. (Personally, I think it looks pretty good on Malum)

I’ve said this a lot about this topic, but I’ll say it again, the Inika build is only as limited as you think it is. You can do all kinds of things with those pieces, I know I have. You can make good-looking MOCs if you just work at it. And I’ll also agree with what @legomaster1378 said about how they did innovate and use different body types for the glatorians. Also, I’ll point out that the Mahri were very innovative while using the build, they gave us a lot of unique sets, as did the Barraki, and 2008 Makuta. They were all build using the Inika build, and they all had some very cool features. And on the metru hips, I think they’re actually an incredibly useful piece for many things, as well as the vahki hips which were also used a lot. They were useful enough that they didn’t need to be changed.

8 Likes

1 Like

Just about every CCBS set using the same foot. It kinda matches with the Star Wars CCBS sets, but everywhere else, it’s just overused and lazy.

4 Likes

I totally agree with this. Obviously Mr. Tesla hasn’t seen my brother’s Inika-build influence MOCs.

which happens to do nothing to disprove the claim that the Inika Build being used in 2009 was overkill

I do agree with BioRaiders, the Inika Build does have a lot of room for versatility, and LEGO was able to flesh out what you could do with it a bit more with the Barraki and Phantoka Makuta. However the fanbase overall really didn’t act on that style, rather on the most barebones Inikabuilds.

Also

I’d like to see you build a humanoid MOC without a waist someday

1 Like

i’d just like to take a moment and be resident history slime

gladiators often wore very little, if any armor

10 Likes