BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

I did say just the fact the intern had them gave me hope that we’d see them released. Since I don’t think an intern would have control over factory decisions. It’s one thing to use prototype resin masks like the designers did, but these recolors are fully produced parts that would need to have been mass produced in order for them to even be at their use. So they do exist, they just haven’t been used in sets.

It doesnt work that way. If you have two lines, one is selling alright and the other is booming, you dont cut off the less successful so you can make the other even better. Lego has never done that in its history. Also given how there are only three rogue one sets, I doubt its selling as much as you hypothesis. John Ho has been designing a majority of ccbs sets since the system deputed, I doubt that all of the sudden they think he cant handle having Bionicle and starwars on his plate, considering hes done more then one theme at a time before.

And then of course, there is problem of the fact that cancelling Bionicle would hurt StarWars if Bionicle was doing well. Aside from new molds, having another theme sharing a system helps the other theme out. You can make star wars figures out of Bionicle pieces (Sort of) and you can make bionicle figures out of Starwars. A consumer is more inclined to buy something similar to what they already have. Lego Friends and Elve are an example of this, much like city and a fantasy theme, these two niche themes work together to promote each others sales.

Recolors arnt that hard to make, especially black ones, lego generally tends to have colors of parts not yet available in set form on hand.

11 Likes

Well, I always saw Elves to Freinds as City to Ninjago. Star Wars is a licensed theme though. Recolors aren’t hard to make- but I would also assume it depends on the piece.

I just finished watching Journey to One (wanted to wait till I was home to use my 3dTV), and I can honestly say I am completely and utterly overjoyed with the way it turned out.

When BIONICLE was announced as ending, I expected to get a disappointing cliffhanger ending, but this wrapped up exactly how I wanted it to when the line was rebooted last year. the way makuta was defeated by all the toa teaming up, just like in the end of MNOG was perfect. As soon as Gali said for duty I was begging for Tahu to say Destiny, and when he did I was ecstatic. I think the whole thing was very well done and I am completely satisfied with that end. Also when he said BIONICLE in the end. Man I just love it so much.

And I’m sorry for arguing about it with you @Eljay because, as hypocritical this will sound now, to be honest I’m not even mad that we aren’t getting a Makuta set. If we did, there’s no way it’d look as cool as it did in JtO. If someone can figure out how to build it, and we get either a polybag MoUP or just a well done 3D printed one, I’ll be happy to build that combo model as my Makuta instead.

I know I was really angry about it before, and I apologize for my earlier ranting, but JtO changed my mind. I absolutely love this end and I think it was the right time to do it. Thank you Lego, for an awesome end to an awesome series. A series in which I collected every set:

I love BIONICLE and I always will. It’s been great being part of this community once again, and I thank you guys for making G2 awesome. The time will come soon to say goodbye, but until then, for duty, for unity, for destiny!

10 Likes

Guys, do we have specific topic for contest discussion?
I’d like to ask you, did anyone tried to build custom MoUP for his Makuta? I tried, it’s hard…
I also wonder what will be the difference between “Creativity of build” and “Innovation of build”

Thank you!

Heres a topic of “Official” Lego Contests topic. [quote=“ibessonov, post:31032, topic:15529”]
what will be the difference between “Creativity of build” and “Innovation of build”
[/quote]

“Creativity” = Using a certain piece unusually or make something unique and complex. (ex. Use CCBS Luke head as body hair)
“Innovation” = How much time you developed into the MOC. I spend time developing a unusual Makuta MOC but I failed to realize the amount of System part I used so I need to rethink until its perfect. But I abandon…

1 Like

That’s why I try to avoid System parts at all =)
I’m glad that we have no limit on Technic!

1 Like

In other news, Mike Raznick has posted Makuta’s theme from Journey to One on his Soundcloud. On the ‘demo’ version of Journey to One’s theme that he posted sometime last month, he said he’s looking to upload more themes from the soundtrack.

6 Likes

It’s actually pretty good, a shame that it wasn’t used more in the show.

To be honest, the music of this gen is completely forgettable.

2 Likes

I think that’s definitely a matter of personal opinion, as I personally loved it.

3 Likes

I feel that it’s similar to the Star Wars TFA music. Good, but unfortunately forgettable.

1 Like

Actually in terms of the contest it probably means more along the lines of the following;

Creativity; Making a design that sticks out, rather than simply possessing the same traits as everything else.

Innovation; Making the most out of what you have, using it in ways that may have not been used by others before.

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I don’t think so. It may be hard to identify with since we haven’t heard it much, but the only thing holding the music back is the lack of a title and band name.

In G1 we had Cryoshell, and as such we had a face for all the great music. G2 unfortunately never revealed both the names of the pieces of music (most notably the main theme from 2015 and the JtO/Mask of Control App main theme) or the composers.

They also didn’t have lyrics, but just because we didn’t get a “Gravity Hurts” doesn’t mean the music was bad or forgettable. Frankly just hearing that guitar/drum riff from 2015 or the JtO theme makes me instantly think of G2.

7 Likes

One small detail I liked in the later two episodes of JtO was how Onua seemed to hesitate when he said “Destroy… the masks. That’s the key!” I interpreted it as showing how he was almost repulsed by the idea of destroying masks, even to defeat an enemy.

5 Likes

I assume the Mask of Control app theme is probably an unused composition by Mike Raznick (he mentioned that the first Journey to One theme on his Soundcloud was an unused version so this might simply be another unused track and ‘The Wall’ Level themes are just the credits theme sped up and lowered down in pitch)

Also, the 2015 animations credited Rune Busch Klausen as the composer, though you may never see an instrumental fraction of the music released unless you can get in contact with Supersonic (supersonic.dk) as they hold the rights to both it and the sound design.

2 Likes

Interesting…I interpreted that as him being tired, hence his speech sounding a little out of breath, but I didn’t think of it that way…

5 Likes

The music for journey to one was great!!! It’s the best soundtrack music we’ve ever gotten for bionicle. At least in my opinion it is.

1 Like

Then you never went in depth with the Movies one.

1 Like