BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

The designers did try stuff with it, they did give it it TONS of trans purple which will be great for mocing. IMO the moc potential QB has is better than it’s actual build, which may be what the designers thought of, just like they did with Kopaka’s and Tahu’s legs.

However looking at the actual set built up:

•The color scheme is absolutely ruined by the mask and the torso, there is no solid purple anywhere else than the mask, and the pink is out of place

•the function is so simple yet so messy and not good looking.

They made a good parts pack I’ll give it that, but a terrible set.

6 Likes

The way your talking makes it sound like you’ve bought it or something but it could just be me :confused:

I’m gonna go try to make some mock ups of the functions that the new sets have.

I watched the toy fair video and I made a mock up, it’s horrible.

Honestly, people complaining about the beasts…I get why…they’re not your usual…‘sets’ or ‘characters’ but they’re supposed to be abominations. From that viewpoint, I understand each one, including Umarak, but it obviously doesn’t mean I have to like it.

1 Like

I understand the motive and inspiration behind them, but in most the execution is terrible. Specially QB nice concept, but ruined by random colors and terribad function.

LB is solid until you look at the back
SB’s back is also bad, but the function kinda makes up for it, but then again the coloring of the technic pieces could be better
UTD has the gappy back

Tbh Ekimu is the least flawed set of all, not my favorite, but I don’t have much complaints about him other than too much trans blue but, that’s about it.

1 Like

Well, watching the function looks awful. There’s only one pose it looks good from, and only barely. I’m with you on quake beast.
not with you on aquaman though
/s
Unmark the destroyer still looks good IMO.

They dont paint it on, they just mold it in that color.

2 Likes

I need to commend LEGO at least for the wide variety of functions introduced with this new generation…or at the very least it is nice to see playable functions with gears and whatnot returning in such a large amount. Now how they are executed, it depends on the sets (Scorpios and Quakes seem to ruin the figures because of the functions which ends up making them look and play awkwardly).

6 Likes

True, it is really, really good to see gear functions making their grand return to regular Bionicle sets. I was really sad to see them drop those halfway through the line…
G2 is such a big stepup from the ‘‘inika build variant+ new launcher’’ hell that G1 sort of stagnated into at some point.

I don’t agree with your stance on Scorpio and Quake Beast, though, but of course I do acknowledge the flaws they have.

It seems LEGO had the sense to adopt that belief, and we got some very good sets out of it.

I think that if we’re getting combiners, it would be beast+beast, with Umarak not being a part of any equation. I mean, he IS really big already, what else is there to add?
I wouldn’t be upset at all if it did happen, though :wink:
I just want a good combiner for the beasts, something a bit more impressive than the Skull Fajita!

4 Likes

I figured it out!
UtD gets a sample of all the elements from the Creatures, Makuta fuses all of them into the discarded Hunter Mask, turning it into the new MoUP.
BAM!

I was tired…

1 Like

The BIONICLE community never complained about these things back in G1’s first few years. Stahp adulting, all of you. XD

Seriously though, I understand everyone’s complaints and all, but if LEGO had followed your mindset ever since BIONICLE’s creation, we’d have missed out on several function based sets. I also have trouble understanding why people expect top notch quality from what’s essentially a child’s action figure line. I mean, BIONICLE sets are already higher quality than a lot of the action figures you can buy in the toy store, yet everyone seems to want adult collector action figure quality. I know that my opinion might not go over well with some people, but it’s just that, an opinion. I personally think the flaws the beasts have are worth the functions, and I think functions are more important than full coverage.

9 Likes

I think it’s a credit to the designers that the most common complaint about the Summer sets is gappiness (Umarak in particular) - since the amount of pieces used in the set (ie the budget) is the one thing they do not control.

I’m actually excited to see the backs of the boxes, to see what combiners we are getting. Because with those, the designers are less constrained by piece counts (or build complexity?).

And after the majesty of the MoCr Kulta combiner (especially when compared to the original kinda basic set), imagine what they could do if they combined the Beasts with (the already pretty good) Umarak.

3 Likes

Screw that, doncha know this is the generation of opinion givers (aka internet hogs). And yes, we are older and think differently that we did as kids, so naturally we see the flaws more clearly now. Cant change that.

6 Likes

After seeing finalized pics of the summer wave I gotta say that this wave is not that great. Sure it’s not bad and sure it’s better than 2015’s horrendous wave but it’s still not that great. So many gaps with UTD, SB having such a weird build, QB just being bad, Ekimu with too much trans blue and LB with his strange build. But there are alot of pros to these sets and more than last years summer wave. Cool functions, better “main villain” build, Ekimu, LB’s GLORIOUS color scheme, QB’s trans prpl, Ekimu, SB’s marionette function, no Skull Scorpio like set, Ekimu, UTD’s everything except his gapiness (?), EKIMU!!!

1 Like

What strange build? Other than his legs.

His the second least strangest (first being Ekimu), keeping it safe with the basic 2016 Toa build

I cant believe Ekimu is 15 dollars and has two gear functions while still being well armoured up.

Also Umarak is 25 instead of 30…such deals, very appreciate.

4 Likes

He looks horrendously top-heavy. His head looks way larger in proportion to his body than the other two Beasts. Those “horns” are kind of weird, like an imp’s. His arm and leg armouring is minimal and he has the tiny Protector feet. I personally think he is the worst of the Beasts just because of his proportions. QB would at least look cool as a silhouette.

Still guys, the fact that they are cheaper than expected with the amount of parts the summer wave has, they are pretty good deals.

1 Like

Lava Beast with 114 parts for 15 bucks is a great deal!

3 Likes

A lot of them are small, but somewhat useful.