BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

I like how America already gets new shipments of the sets but some EU countries haven’t even gotten them in stores… where is the logic in that.

But this whole deal with stores not stocking BIONICLE sets anymore, is it really bad?
Because I’m going to be in America in 2 weeks so I want to buy them there.

I probably wanna buy them in the new York LEGO store near rockefeller center. But I remember that LEGO store being overpriced as hell.

1 Like

18 Likes

So basically, BIONICLE is the better value?

And people are saying BIONICLE is currently overpriced. :smirk:

8 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it isn’t because the sets appear as overpriced, and that’s how most people will judge them.

Maybe that’s why Lego wants to promote the Star Wars constraction line; they know it’s terribly over-priced.

Well, if SW becomes the main constraction line in the future (when Bionicle is gone) I think the prices would become more uniform.

That might be it, too.

Although, perhaps Lego is keeping the prices up for Star Wars constraction in order to allow BIONICLE to look like a cheaper alternative and overall make it look better for sales?

6 Likes

It’s not only the license that costs, they have specialized molds for heads, Vader’s helmet/head was really expensive to produce.

4 Likes

No doubt it was.

Even then, though, BIONICLE has complex molds, too, like the 2016 Toa masks with the blended colors.

2 Likes

Possibly. But Ninjago and NK and other themes have always been cheaper than licensed. That’s always how it is. But maybe this is the case though. I’ve said multiple times that Bionicle is selling great where I live: and I live somewhere in the US. My sister’s 9 and she knows like 3 kids who play with Bionicle in her class, and 2 little boys around the corner from be just got the 2015 summer sets. Meanwhile, I don’t know a single kid with the SW constraction.[quote=“GK733, post:27887, topic:15529”]
It’s not only the license that costs, they have specialized molds for heads, Vader’s helmet/head was really expensive to produce.
[/quote]
Yeah, but Bionicle has/had masks and head molds too. Keep in mind Lego has said that they keep MOCists in mind: I believe this was why Tahu uses Uniter plates as armor. And tbh, the SW sets are jam packed with parts and I look forward to more releases. Must have purple lightsaber Also, I think the SW constaraction may be more for AFOLs than anything tho.

2 Likes

Sure using two colors might be more costly but not every mold is just like this: A retired Lego mold. Retired after producing 120,000,000 bricks. - Imgur

If I remember correctly someone said it took them 3 extra “pushers” to mold Vader’s head or something because it had to consider so many different directions.

1 Like

Comparing to LEGO sets, not so much.
Comparing to other toys, yes, very.

I mean, it should come across to people who buy LEGO that the sets are kinda overpriced.

But that is something to get used to with LEGO sets.

Still, I do agree that some of the Toa feel a bit spendy, but when you get the good quality Lego has been giving us, I really don’t mind it.

It must be a case-by-case thing then.

2 Likes

People don’t really care of the amount of pieces. When an old fan who has left Bionicle years ago sees Tahu he has some joy of nostalgia but when he looks at the price he sees it as overpriced.

He doesn’t know that lot of the pieces go to the inner workings of the torso, he has no idea how large the set actually is and all he does is compares it to something like a metru in his mind.

That’s why the set appears overpriced. And even then the actual size of the figure is just close to something of an Inika, a set that cost around $12 as opposed to $20

Lego can’t expect all it’s customers to know CCBS as well as they do. That’s the problem, and that problem could had been fixed with having smaller toa sets. Sets that from just looking at the box seem to offer the value they request.

This mirrors well how some people complained that Onua doesn’t look like a $20 set. Then the people who actually bought it quickly understood.

5 Likes

Since when have we ever heard of any reports that the 2015 Summer wave sold atrociously?

Sure, it didn’t sell nearly as well as the Winter wave, but I think we should all restrain ourselves from using words like “atrocious” when we don’t even have sales figures for 2015 as a whole yet.

I’d argue it’s quality of build. A set like Tahu has a lot going on with it, with the gear function and all, and Umarak is just massive and has multiple functions.

Sure, Obi-Wan is sleek and well-built, but he doesn’t have anything else to him, so really any Bionicle figure is a better buy than a basic, function-less Star Wars figure (I say function-less because the argument could be made that the better design of gearboxes like on Rey have more substance, not to mention a rare piece involved).

Also keep in mind the cape, which is probably more expensive to mass produce than plastic pieces.

What I want to know is what a Star Wars constraction set would cost minus the licencing added to it.

4 Likes

Probably $15. With piece count and mold injections, i’d say its about right.

1 Like

A modern Transformers deluxe sized figure is $15, the same price as a medium sized set. I for one think the quality of Transformers has fallen in recent years, with hollow, thin plastic, poor tab connections and severely shrinking in size from previous years. Overall, the cons far outweigh the pros.
With a Bionicle figure, the quality and size is there, so I think that saying Bionicle is overpriced is simply outrageous when you compare it to other toys.

4 Likes

Excluding HF, Bionicle got bigger, no doubt about it. Even before the Stars were the Glatorian, which were just more Inika builds.

oh yeah and the joints dont crack every 2 seconds anymore

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to compare this to SW in any way,
The idea was that people see the sets as overpriced because so much is obscured, and they care a lot of the size of the figure, which has barely changed

Just look at uniter Onua’s torso. How many pieces would you think go into it at first glance?

A lot more than what an average consumer might guess.
The sets fail to convey their value because everything is hidden and smooth.

Especially after Hero Factory because those sets were flat as pancake

4 Likes