BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Been catching up on the thread and have a couple of questions:

1. Why do people think the Shadow Trap is “cowering” in Tahu’s video? (I thought people were joking when they suggested that before…)
    Surely it’s just hiding, ready to ambush Tahu, as you would expect from a sentient trap, but Tahu spots it first. (It wouldn’t be much of a trap if it sat around in plain sight. :P)

2. What’s with the “G1 Toa were siblings” thing? That was as much a metaphor as Mata Nui being Teridax’s “brother”. The Toa had platonic friendships because that’s all there was for MU inhabitants, not because they were related (no one in the MU was).
    So with G2, there isn’t any reason to rule out the Toa developing romantic relationships (even if they are the G1 Toa, Greg has said that MU inhabitants can “learn” romance from Agori, given time).

2 Likes

If you look closely you can see that its quivering in fear. This is why people believe it is cowering. Its also clearly being spotted as Tahu notices it, points his sword at it and then proceeds to blast apart the surrounding rocks in an attempt to kill it - and yet rather than attack it continues to try and hide, so ‘cowering’ would be a good term. Probably smarter to ‘cower’ when outmatched as the traps are only really effective slightly against the creatures,

This was probably its intention as they are likely very weak and only good for trapping unsuspecting prey. However, in this case its been found and Tahu is blasting apart its hiding spot and the animation of it makes it appear scared.

The Toa often refer to themselves as brothers and sister in G1. Though their was occasional hints at relationships between the characters such as Tahu and Gali (particularly in the movie) most of that can be attributed to brother/sister unconditional love - e.g. love that is not in a romantic sense.

Not sure if anyone is ruling it out per say, however their is currently no development that suggest the Toa having romantic feelings towards each other. Currently the only thing remotely related to that is when Onua is holding Tahu after catching him - however that’s more of a G1 reference and supposed to be part of a ‘team building’ thing that Lego are doing in different forms of media (I believe Nexo Knights has a character do a similar thing if I’m not mistaken)

G2 is inspired mostly via the early years of G1 and the current Toa are pretty much intended to be rehashed versions or the actual G1 Toa. As such they should probably follow a G1 style idea of being family in terms of their interactions. While granted they haven’t specified the Toa’s relationships with one another in G2, they haven’t given anything to lead us to believe that the G2 Toa have any romantic feelings towards any of the other.

Personally i wouldn’t want them to either, the Toa from G2 were introduced as effectively amnesiac children unaware of their identity, past, etc… I’d find it odd for example if a romance suddenly appears between Gali and Tahu when they are still unaware of who they really are themselves.

Pretty much this ^

Though i think in this form of story it’ll likely be Makuta controlling Umarak after he is transformed, showing that being a bad guy and trying to become powerful ends badly for them.

Pohatu’s worst fear is a scorpion according to his 2016 information - however i do like the idea that the bow can cause them to hallucinate him as a more terrifying being, kind of like Scarecrow’s fear gas.

2 Likes

@Scarilian Eh, I’d prefer G2 actually have love elements. Not love triangles, mind you, but just general romantic love without any quarrels. You know, just a side thing that makes them feel more human and relatable, while at the same time raises the stakes and gives at least two Toa a personal reason for fighting evil and doing their best to keep each other safe.

Maybe I’m just a sucker for a nice simple love story without any complexities or issues on the side.

3 Likes

I would actually be even happy if the concept of anykind of love to be canon in G2. Because thats the organic human aspect Bionicle needs, without it, they are just programmed robots.

2 Likes

I agree, Bionicle needs more humanity. Remember how they explained that Vakama had its visions? Just a glitch. That was disappointing, really wishing that doesn’t happens again

3 Likes

“Vakama? Another vision?”

It already is, though. The villagers are shown to reproduce in some way (it could be biological, or maybe some other method because they’re biomechanical) but that ability implies that love exists in G2. Even if reproduction was not romantically-based in Okotoan culture, Bingzak obviously shows concern and affection for his parents in the graphic novel (if that was actually him). It’s logical to assume that emotions on Okoto are no different from here on Earth, although whether or not the Toa have the same capacity is unknown. I certainly hope they do…

Also, I heard that there were hints of a Korgot-Vizuna thing in RotSS, but I haven’t read it yet, so I don’t know the details, but that’s another point in love’s favor :grinning:

2 Likes

@Toa_Heatwave “Vizuna, you have to teach me how to use your elemental flame bow.”

I don’t think Umarak sounds young in the new trailer, he sounds normal to me.

He sounds like he is tired, bored, or thirsty (for blood)

1 Like

:no_mouth: …oh, wow, that’s way more suggestive than I thought it was going to be

3 Likes

IMO it’s a typical shadow hunter sound. I’m glad they made this sound for Umarak.

3 Likes

He sounds kinda…darth vader-ish.

Also, define

Nidiki breathing sounded like that.

Somehow a softer version than that but still threatening

You know, the sound what a living shadow can make. Or probably a very sneaky dark hunter.

Yep, this confirms it. Love is canon again guys. Rejoice, for the twit Greg is no longer here to remove it nonsensically.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing up the very reason I began to have a love and hate relationship with G1. At first in its early years it seemed like this magical and mystical fantasy story (regardless of the fact that the GSR was to be revealed the first year). Then about three years after the story just nose dived into trying to have semi-realistic explanations for all of the mystical things that happened on Mata Nui and everywhere else. Everything that made me love G1 was killed in later years (though I still followed the line and the story despite not agreeing with the general direction because the story telling and adventure was still fun to experience).

To me, G2 is everything G1 would have been if it hadn’t strayed from its initial atmosphere and general themes of mysticism and fantasy. 2016 solidifies that and says: “hey, magic is a real thing in this world and the world itself is organic and these mystical animals were born from elements”

8 Likes

I wonder if the beasts will emerge from the ground like the skull villains did.

It would nice if they did something different, but I can’t think of Lego introducing them any other way.

Like Pacific Rim?

[quote=“Scarilian, post:17497, topic:15529”]
Lego already did a Pacific Rim style creature series with Hero Factory, will be disappointed if these turn out to be the same sort of thing. Already enough parallels with Hero Factory in terms of the head designs.
[/quote] I meant them rising from the ground like the Kaiju rose from the ocean

[quote=“Scarilian, post:17497, topic:15529”]
Depends really on context as to whether that could be suggestive
[/quote] I wasn’t saying it’s suggestive, I was showing @Toa_Heatwave what everyone was talking about.

Depends really on context as to whether that could be suggestive

Lego already did a Pacific Rim style creature series with Hero Factory, will be disappointed if these turn out to be the same sort of thing. Already enough parallels with Hero Factory in terms of the head designs.

5 Likes

Yep, Greg confirmed that there was no magic in Gen 1 everyrhing we saw, was pure technology which is hard to believe after warching the first 3 movies…

7 Likes