BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Couldn’t have said it better myself. That is the reason I enjoy Gen 2.

6 Likes

Now, now…I know this is just joking around, but we shouldn’t place blame solely on Greg. After all, he did a lot of great things for the story, and I can see why he was concerned about including romance–bogging down the story, causing unnecessary conflicts, etc. Now, while that doesn’t necessarily mean he had to decanonize it (it could easily have existed in the background, just not as a main point in the story) I can understand why he thought it was the best option.

He is also trying to preserve the “mysticism” of BIONICLE in his more recent posts. Only a few weeks ago, he avoided giving a scientific/mechanical explanation for how the Toa control their elements, saying that the knowledge would make the phenomenon “less cool” for those immersed in the story. I think the fact that a lot of what we thought of as “magic” was really tech originates from the actual GSR concept itself, and isn’t all based on Greg. He was just the vehicle by which our assumptions were disproved. The story team came up with the GSR and all that stuff.

Oh, I know that…it’s just that I expected something a little more “innocent” and less open to interpretation…

1 Like

Dude, for the last time, I am talking about how he removed love in general, which is just a stupid thing to do (specially if you have all kinds of emotional responses and feelings in but, love, pff, cant have that, too complicated for the simple minds of kids, even though love is one the first things they experience right when they are born from their mothers ). This doesnt have to do only about romance. Jeeze people, do you not get it. Love is not just romantic love, love is factored in all aspects of a social life. Even animals show some levels of love towards each other. But Bionicles, nah too complicated to explain to kids so we wont even try and just generalize it as only romantic love and leave it at that.

Is there a quote where he actually says he did that? If so, I agree that it is stupid, but it’s also not true, because love is obviously a part of BIONICLE. The Toa share brotherly and sisterly love, as do the Matoran and many others. I think Greg is misinterpreted as having “removed love” from BIONICLE–it’s all still there, it’s just part of the fabric of the world.

Still, if you have a quote where he says what you claim, I’d like to see it, as I don’t want to discount your opinion–I’m just saying that it doesn’t seem like Greg would do something that obviously silly…

I hope that in this generation they dont make such a big mistake with love in general. Shows like Steven Universe are a great example of how to do love properly and all kinds of love, not just romantic.

The fact that G1 had the nerve to say love wasnt canon just pissed me off, when in fact it constantly shown it on various occasions, even the romantic one with some characters outside of the MNOG thing. You cant retcon something and then dont hold by that decision, thats just inconsistency, which I hate to the base of almost everything when in regards to story.

Toa not showing romantic love, I get that and also agree upon that. They are warriors and all of them are Nakama (friends that been through a lot through battle and are now BLOOD brothers and sisters), they also dont have time for such things which can endanger the mission. But the regular villagers, no, they need to have them showcase even romantic love otherwise the whole race is nothing but just robots, which felt like in G1 when they tried to retcon love.

It also pisses me of how the Matoran are not made, but constructed, adding more to that robotic aspect and being less for the lack of a better term, human.

These are just my gripes with this, and as I said, I hope that G2 doesnt go the G1 rout. Where they sucked out all the mysticism, emotion, and what made the characters human instead of programmed machines with a directive and the whole “its all technology” ho-ha.

4 Likes

I do agree with everything you’ve said, and I too was annoyed by the inconsistency (I can understand the early years, but later indications of romance after it was decanonized seemed unnecessary and even mocking on some occasions). But what we have is what we have, and as you say, we now have reasonable confirmation that G2 is trying something different and possibly better…

That being said, romance in G1 or G2 is not really the concern of this topic, so we should probably return to the intended discussion:

Is everyone beginning to become certain that JtO will be released in March now? It seems like it has been delayed, or that we just haven’t gotten enough coverage yet for it to be released in February, but I think we can still hold out hope that it will be released this month. It is only the first week of February, after all…

1 Like

Me getting new sets in March, JtO possibly being released also in March, TTV getting us good coverage of the Summer wave before the beginning of March. These might be the most interesting months of this year ahead of us for the time being.

5 Likes

I’m still holding out that it’s going to be in February. Mid to late, most likely, but probably still February.

1 Like

It’s been 5 days and you guys are freaking out like it is going to happen next month. just be patient.

1 Like

"Vizuna, you have to teach me how to use your elemental flame bow.

I didn’t see this as being intended to be suggestive. It’s more like the punch line to a joke set up earlier.
At one point, Korgot tells Vizuna she has something to tell him when they are no longer in danger. Of course, that is there to make you expect the awful cliché where the girl is supposed to tell the boy “I love you” at the end of the story. But instead Windham surprises the reader by having it mean something completely different - Korgot just wants to train with a new weapon.

Don’t worry…it might not actually be suggestive. I apparently have a suggestive mind, which–now that I think about it–concerns me very much. Lol, j/k of course.

It is there, though, if and only if someone with a suggestive mind wanted to read it that way…

Alright, I brought up how it was suggestive and got a warning from the mods, so for everyone’s sake, let’s drop this.
Now, I’m gonna bring up an idea that is seriously underdiscussed. The Labyrinth of control. Specifically, is it alive or is it controlled with magic? Also, how did the creatures know about it?

Magic. cuz magic is cool. unless…
the maze of control is controlled by the mask of control. and the reason makuta or umarak want the mask f control back is so they can control the maze. With out someone using the mask of control the maze is chaotic and moves on its own and is very unpredictable. but with the mask the user can control every aspect of this maze

I think Umaraks weird sigh is actually very important. While it didn’t reveal his voice, it does show that he’ll be the sort of “creepy” type of villain. I’m now expecting Umaraks voice to be the sort of higher pitched ultron type instead of the deep Darth Vader type.

2 Likes

Seeing as the website says that the elemental creatures were responsible for hiding the Mask of Control from Makuta, I think it’s safe to say that they may have played some part in it’s creation, hiding the Mask of Control in it.

2 Likes

Vakama had glitches for visions?? Now I hate G1…hue not too much anyway the thing is

I agree that G2 needs more humanity, it needs to show us more of the bio than the mechanical. Bionicles are not 100%, they are living beings with emotions and that’s what I want to see more in G2, and what more human emotion than love?

Hue I can just imagine a lil girl playing with bonkles as if they were ken and a barbie haha.

Anyway
The best type of voice Umarak could ever have is a Boba Fett one, or in contrast a purple man one imo.

2 Likes

I wish Umarak the Hunter was like Clone Wars animated General Grievous.

And not like 3D Clone Wars Grievous or the movie one.

(Gets bested by Gungans, how embarassing. This is what the Skull Villains were.)

5 Likes

Anyway Umarak’s bow is quite interesting, the way it shoots like a mini gun in the clip seems fun.
I believe Umarak will be a very imposing enemy, in his clip you can see Uxar injured by his side.

Which makes me wonder if he will force unite with him in that scene.

5 Likes

Rip topic 2k16

Soooo, I think that JtO may just cover the winter wave.

UTD looks less like UtD and more like ‘MoCo fell in goo and mutated a body for itself’ like Toa Ignika.