BIONICLE Canon Contest #1: The First, Part 2 (Art)

Let’s wrap this up.

Your quest, should you choose to accept it, is to create and illustrate the Kanohi mask worn by the first Toa, Helryx. You must also create and illustrate her final appearance, with her wearing the mask.

Your basis for Toa Helryx is the winner of the MOC portion of the contest, created by TheUnderscoredDouble:

Her Kanohi, the “Mask of Psychometry,” allows her to learn details about the past of an object by making physical contact with it. The masks appearance has never been described. Keep in mind this mask shape is unique. It is not a Pakari, nor a design we have ever seen before.

What you’ll need to do is either use a mask that you have permission to use, or create a new one yourself in order to create the final piece of art that will be sent to Greg Farshtey for canonization and displayed on BS01.

The entry period will run for two (2) weeks, starting today - July 10th, 2020 - and ending July 24th, 11:59 PM EDT. During this time, you will need to create your art (following the rules listed below) and submit it to this topic here (check the rules on how to properly do that). At that point, you’re good to go! After the entry period has ended, we will create any necessary amount of polls to run for a currently unknown amount of time (no more than two weeks) until a winner is decided.

That should be about everything. Please read over all the rules to make sure your creation is good to be entered.

RULES:

1. Entrants must be 13 years old or older.
1a. Entries may not be entered on behalf of someone younger than 13.

2. All entrants must abide by TTV Message Board rules and guidelines.
2a. If you are permanently banned during the course of the contest, your entry will be disqualified. Suspensions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2b. Any member found to have a duplicate account will be permanently banned.
2c. Entries must be submitted on behalf of the entry creator themselves. They may not be submitted on behalf of another person.

3. In order to enter, a new topic must be made for the creation with (Contest name) in the title. That topic must then be linked in a post in official contest topic made for the character in question.
3a. For any of these contests (with the exception of the Toa Hagah contest), only one entry may be entered per person.
3b. Winners of prior contests are allowed to enter additional contests.

4. A minimum of two (2) images must be provided. One of the mask, containing the front, side, and top view, and one of the winning MOC wearing it.
4a. All artwork must be in color. Not grey-scale.
4b. Images can be hosted on Imgur, Flickr, Brickshelf, or uploaded to the MB.
4c. Your creation may not feature any contemporary war weapons. (I.e Tanks, fully automatic firearms, etc)

5. We encourage your entry to be recognizably within the BIONICLE world. However, we have no restriction on art styles.
5a. While we accept any style, we do not permit any character artwork featuring any characters that appears too human. Examples of that would be a lack of technical/BIONICLE pieces or elements, or human faces on Kanohi.

6. 3D entries are allowed.
6a. Any entry using 3D must provide the model file at time of entry if they are designing a new mask.
6b. 3D entries must not be MOC recreations and renders using Stud.Io or LEGO Digital Designer. This is your interpretation, not a simple recreation.
6c. If the inspiration MOC uses a custom Mask or Weapon, you are allowed to either use those on the MOC or create your own.
6d. At this time, the only 3D modelers who have expressly allowed the usage of their pieces are KingSidorak, Galva_, GX_05, KhingK, Vahki6 (for him, check this post), D-S-Creation-Forge.
6e. If an entry utilizes pieces from the aforementioned 3D modelers, they’ll need to provide a link to the free source for the piece. If one does not exist, the piece may not be used.
6f. If an entrant enters with a 3D piece they made themselves, they must provide a link to the 3D model file for free at the time of entry. If no link is included at the time of entry, and not included for three (3) days afterwards, the entry will be disqualified.
6g. By entering a 3D printed piece of their own creation, the entrant agrees that it will be freely available under a creative commons license for all time.

7. Artwork created before this contest can be submitted, provided they abide by these rules/guidelines. However, the creations must be entered by the creator of said Art.
7a. To expand on the last sentence, entries must be entered by the creator themselves. Any artwork entered on behalf of another person, new or otherwise, will be disqualified until submitted by the creator them self.
7b. Any artwork found to be submitted that is determined to be a commission work made for this contest will be disqualified.

8. Entries are allowed to imitate the styles of prior BIONICLE artists. (I.e, Carlos D’anda, Randy Elliott, etc). However, please make it clear that the artwork is not actually by any particular prior BIONICLE artist.

9. Do not plagiarize.

10. Do not submit artwork featuring characters in inappropriate or suggestive poses. These will be disqualified.

11. We reserve the right to disqualify, at any time, any entry that we have reason to believe has been entered in bad faith or in an attempt to disrupt the voting process, or any entry we have reason to believe may disrupt the voting process.

12. We have no rules against vote brigading. However, if any member or participant in either the MOC or Art portion of any of these contests, or an unrelated party who is voting in the Polling portion, is found to be offering compensation (i.e, money, artwork, prizes, etc) for votes, then their account will be suspended for the duration of said contest, their entry will be disqualified (if they entered), and their vote will be subtracted from the final tally. Repeated offenses will result in a permanent ban.

The entry period begins today, July 10th,, and will end July 24th, 11:59 PM EDT. If you have any questions or concerns, please direct them over to this topic for follow up.

So get to it! Make the Great Beings proud! And most important of all, remember to have fun!

38 Likes

oof.

Wasn’t planning on entering, but I may try to get something down, at least.

1 Like

I’m tempted to enter

3 Likes

Shouldnt you add to the mask criteria that it has to have holes for 2 tubes either side? Seeing as the official moc has that intention? Otherwise they will just be loose sticking out.

2 Likes

Ideally, I shouldn’t have to suggest something people would be able to figure out on their own.

11 Likes

Or at least Artakha, if you will.

3 Likes

I’m really eager to see what other people are gonna do, now that I think about it.
There’s a lot of fun ways this could go.

also can we call the Artakha contest the ART-akha contest?

14 Likes

Can we get away with doing something like the official Nikila artwork did and design it so it’s clearly not actually completely constructed from bionicle pieces, but it includes some visual nods to them? Given that’s canonical, it seems like we may want to go off of that style somewhat.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, just want to make sure

12 Likes

Yeah, that should be fine, so long as what the basis is is obvious.

11 Likes

Ok, thanks!

3 Likes

so we had 130 helryx mocs, im very curious how many illustrations will be submitted

11 Likes

I’d imagine not nearly as many, largely because this is a lego community first. While that results in a lot of artists being involved, there are probably way more mocists.

5 Likes

Here’s to hoping that this contest won’t devolve into…whatever it was that the last contest devolved into.

12 Likes

It’s the end of the beginning. Good luck to everyone, and may the best artwork win (with minimal cheating on the part of memelords, bots, trolls, and butthurt sore losers)!

I can’t wait to see what the artists of this community can cook up to represent the MOC that won the previous leg of this contest.

8 Likes

The logic behind rule #6 escapes me. I appreciate the contribution of 3d modelers to the bionicle community, but is this not supposed to be artwork competition? 3d renders, good as they are, are infinitely closer to moccing than they are to any of the handdrawn medium, traditional or digital.

That, and also I feel like including 3d models might provide an unfair advantage in the context of drawings, as it may end up looking way closer to the actual model than any given drawing, which I imagine would be discouraging for a lot of artist who are on the fence of entering the contest

6 Likes

I’m going to assume this is where I should be posting this.

2 Likes

3d modelling is art. By your logic, anyone sculpting out of clay should be disqualified.

9 Likes

3D art is art. The Bionicle films, which are canon, are in 3D.

That, and also I feel like including 3d models might provide an unfair advantage in the context of drawings, as it may end up looking way closer to the actual model than any given drawing,

Doesn’t really matter. “I won’t enter the contest because someone else’s entry might be better than mine” doesn’t really factor into things.

10 Likes

3d modelling is very much art lol and you can get just as close in a 2d drawing as a 3d render, but making it identical to the moc is as mentioned not the point

6 Likes

It appears I’ve forgotten the connotation of being a 3d modeler, but not a virtual moccist. Thank you for the kind people who corrected me and my sincerest apologies. I retract what I had to say

4 Likes